Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay mulls removal of seat back TVs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay mulls removal of seat back TVs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
For the person who said Slosar is a moron, I disagree he has done some good things for the company, but Tony Tyler was way better...he ordered tons of 777-300ERs !
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zodiac
and I'd say you are under-thinking things, much more so than I've over-thought things.

The whole point of discussing these things is to mull over the details, not simply dismissing the caveats and jump straight to the "anything is possible" conclusion.
Correct discussion is good - trying to close down discussion/nit picking myopically because you've jumped to the conclusion that you know better is not.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: CX MPO SL
Originally Posted by nkedel
You don't super-glue it to the seat, you super-glue the mount to it, and then use something with a screw/bayonet/slide to attach that mount to the seat. The mount then locks; heck, there's even a standard locking-port form factor on laptops that could probably get added to many tablet designs by the ODM.

It's not hard; as I said, my company is doing that right now at the new facility we're building out. Granted, the mounts we use in open-to-the-public spaces are ugly, but an airplane is a more controlled environment than a shared office tower lobby, and we're not spending ANY money to engineer them -- we're buying off the shelf metalwork.

Most of these options are defeatable if a customer is willing to vandalize the seat, but they'll all deter casual theft, and the customer risks damaging the tablet in the removal. Also, if the UI is sufficiently different, they might not realize that a mounted tablet was actually an off-the-shelf product.

Honestly, though, in the end any mounted tablet is back to being a fixed IFE device, just one that requires less cabling.

I'm willing to bet that the IFE system designers have got newer designs -- most of the current ones are based on cabling plans, etc, coming out of the early 2000s (or before) and nearly (if not more than) 10 years old. While the approvals process is much slower for aircraft systems, my guess is that a truly modern IFE design would involve (literally) tons less cabling and no underseat boxes... and much of the same technology as a tablet at each seat.
What you said makes sense. CX should consider paying this message board for the ideas generated. What we discussed here is leaps and bounds from (and more well thought-out than) what Slosar had in mind, and what you mentioned earlier basically laid out step-by-step how a tablet-based IFE system should look like.

Just to go full circle and recap Slosar's views:

"Cathay Pacific is considering the removal of seatback inflight entertainment systems from its entire fleet."

John Slosar, CEO of the Hong Kong-based airline told HK Finance that “Given the popularity of tablet PCs, passengers no longer need some of the onboard entertainment facilities, like for example, the seat back personal TV screens [PTVs].”

"Instead of PTVs, Cathay would provide at seat power sockets so passengers could plug in the device of their choice."
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: CX MPO SL
Originally Posted by yohy?!
Correct discussion is good - trying to close down discussion/nit picking myopically because you've jumped to the conclusion that you know better is not.
hmm, I don't see anyone trying to close down discussion - just look at all the posts in the last couple of pages. When people put forth an opinion, while at the same time stating the reasons behind their thinking or backing it with real life experience, you can't call that "jumping to conclusions" just because you disagree. On the other hand, throwing an idea out and claiming "it sure can't be hard" or "not done before doesn't mean it's impossible".... now that's jumping to conclusions.

It's not nitpicking just because other people are delving into a greater level of detail than you care to consider.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:37 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
See my earlier comment. CX cannot simply have Foxconn reproduce someone else's tablet. This is called intellectual theft, as well as massive copyright violation.
Yes, CX can't just go to an Apple OEM and say, build me up 10000 custom version of the "new" iPad.

However, a similar but non-infriging tablet can be ordered from the same OEM manufacturer. Proof is the Amazon Kindle Fire, which some has speculated is very similar to the BB Playbook.

I believe if CX or other airlines was to pursue this tablet approach and Apple won't be flexible in customizing (this can change since Apple may consider this business like how they would open the Point of Sale system using their iPads and iPhones which is happening in one sense), then the path they would take is what Amazon did via the Kindle Fire.

In short, if iOS ain't flexible, there's Android. And it is proven to work.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:48 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Another question raised in the thread was will the tablet be a pay-per-view setup or remain a free-inflight service.

I would say depending on the economic circumstance in the coming years.

-If CX and the rest of the Asian carriers do head straight towards being a more LCC, then it would be PPV.

-If the Asian carriers decides to stick it up and fight the Gulf carriers, then they would have to maintain the current service level, so it would be like food and beverage, a free-inflight service.

And how does CX resolve the theft thing? They do it today. They collect the headsets before landing, so i won't doubt they can collect the tablets in a similar manner.

Granted there are misses with headphones today, but an improved collection system will be in place.

or who knows, maybe the tablet doesn't have a battery pack and needs to be wired for it to work, like the J headsets, which no one tries to take home.

Last edited by cartman7110; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Just to go full circle and recap Slosar's views:

"Cathay Pacific is considering the removal of seatback inflight entertainment systems from its entire fleet."

John Slosar, CEO of the Hong Kong-based airline told HK Finance that “Given the popularity of tablet PCs, passengers no longer need some of the onboard entertainment facilities, like for example, the seat back personal TV screens [PTVs].”
Sure; for me his suggestion would work well. For my mom, not so much.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FYI:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...330-300-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.