Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay mulls removal of seat back TVs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay mulls removal of seat back TVs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
Cathay is NOT removing PTVs anytime soon, Slosar was simply stating that in 6-7 years PTVs may become obsolete with the tablet movement, don't worry.
Yes. Technology is rapidly developing the market. The iPad was unknown 6-7 years ago and with Microsoft intending to unveil its own tablet (perhaps in Los Angeles on Monday next) who knows just how tablets and other devices will develop in the coming years.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only thing I would miss is Air Show. Playing it on the overhead screens would probably piss a lot of people off, but I'm thinking 5 years from now:

1) there will be reliable wifi onboard once again
2) sites like flightaware will be able to provide semi-accurate data over the Pacific
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:45 am
Suspended

I would welcome the outcome. As long as that they keep a big screen on F, C and Y+.

So if you want full service and great experience you could always purchase Premier Economy and above. If you are price sensitive and would like to save every dime you can BYO and possible rent films from CX pre departure using your own tablet. I can see the future would be the whole economy section being divided half premier economy and half ordinary economy. Premier economy will be more popular within 5 years.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
just a ryanair sort of advertisement. have FR pulled up a 1-pount-per-visit loo or a all standing class yet?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: Marco Polo
I could see in 6 years time, the PTVs are replaced with an Ipad (or any tablet), as for the person who said what if it was dropped, I'm sureit woulde bolted to the seatback like the PTVs rrght now.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:16 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
I think the suggestion made is indeed forward thinking.

The cost saving is indeed there for weight and power consumption, considering tablets are indeed generally lighter, eat less wattage, and assuming its purely wireless as most consumer grade tablets are today, there is potentially one less cable on every seat.

Also, replacing the unit is now easier and can be done while onboard.

Since its wireless, airlines should hold a back little and study this first as an aircraft would potentially be supporting 400 wireless tablets on a long haul 777.

With most tech companies ready to embrace technology post-wireless-n (802.11ac and .ad), i think media streaming should not be an issue to many devices when those technology mature and gets applied, but that has to be certified and studied that it does not impact internal systems.

Tablets can still shift back to a wired connection to remove all these bandwidth and interference concern but it does limit the convenience of a having a tablet on hand.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
I could see in 6 years time, the PTVs are replaced with an Ipad (or any tablet), as for the person who said what if it was dropped, I'm sureit woulde bolted to the seatback like the PTVs rrght now.
^
There might be new entertainment products developed within next few years that cost much less than those tablets; it just like the headphone place at your seat and it's free
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by kaka
just a ryanair sort of advertisement. have FR pulled up a 1-pount-per-visit loo or a all standing class yet?
No, and they won't either. However, their approach tends to be along the lines of the old adage "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

Neil
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pacer142
No, and they won't either. However, their approach tends to be along the lines of the old adage "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

Neil
i agree, and i think someone decided to do sth like this for CX...
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
what's to stop them from keeping the current model of IFE but just changing the delivery method?

ie utilise tablets but have them fixed into the seat in front and hooked into power. then all content is streamed via wifi from on-board servers.

et voila! ditch all the cabling and under seat ife boxes and the associated weight but the effect to end user pax is no change....
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by yohy?!
what's to stop them from keeping the current model of IFE but just changing the delivery method?

ie utilise tablets but have them fixed into the seat in front and hooked into power. then all content is streamed via wifi from on-board servers.

et voila! ditch all the cabling and under seat ife boxes and the associated weight but the effect to end user pax is no change....
No charge except you need to go out and buy an $800 IPad to receive "free media" from CX...

What's next in "cost-savings"? Force each Economy Pax to bring their own gallon of gas to "off-set" the high cost of fuel and oil prices?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
No charge except you need to go out and buy an $800 IPad to receive "free media" from CX...

What's next in "cost-savings"? Force each Economy Pax to bring their own gallon of gas to "off-set" the high cost of fuel and oil prices?
I think he means that CX simply buys a iPad (or similar device) and places them in the same place that the current IFE is. With wireless streaming, there is no requirement for big IFE boxes and can be replaced easily on board the aircraft. Since the user interface could be similar to the current IFE and it is already in the same place, there is not much difference to the end user but with less weight for the airlines.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yo, all. I just got off of CX312 (HKG-PEK). This was actually the first time I've ever taken CX to PEK or SHA. Normally I'm on KA or CA with no IFE, so I've learned to cope. But, let me tell you, it was a really great flight because of the IFE (a couple episodes of the office, a trivia match with fellow passengers, a chance to listen to the newest Red Hot Chili Peppers album, and I got to charge my laptop as well). Yes, it's true that my computer can provide similar entertainment, but I'm happy to let CX keep me up to speed on the culture front (it seems like the only time I watch shows like the Office and Always Sunny in Philly is on airplanes).

The food looked kind of awful (matters not because I stuffed myself in the Cabin before departure) and the OJ tasted funny, but I will go out of my way to fly CX over KA from now on (not that much out of my way, mind you; let's not forget the fact that KA flies almost hourly v. CX 1-2 times per day).

Last edited by moondog; Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: CX MPO SL
Originally Posted by yohy?!

yes, there's one thing that stops them from doing this: theft.

A few people mentioned bolting the tablets onto seat back, but I doubt this is practical. You can't just drive screws into a tablet without damaging the electronics inside. The only way is to ask tablet producers like Apple, Samsung etc to produce a customized version that can be bolted on to seat backs. This will surely cost substantially more than the current street prices, because the factories will now need a new, independent production line dedicated to what is likely a small-scale production - while CX might purchase several tens of thousands of units, this is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall production figure which is in the millions. My guess is the tablet producers are still going to be willing to make it, but airlines should expect to pay an arm and a leg relative to street prices.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
More proof that Slosar is a moron only trying to make a name for himself.
Muppetry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.