FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Nut allergy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1321767-nut-allergy.html)

djangojam Mar 6, 2012 8:07 am

Nut allergy

I'm flying in a couple of weeks JFK-HKG in F and then HKG-ORD in J (hopefully upgrading). I'm allergic to pretty much all tree nuts except for almonds. The allergy is relatively mild and by no means life threatening but accidental consumption could definitely ruin my flight.

I have a few questions. 1) What kind of nuts are in the preflight nut mix? 2) If I contact Cathay to tell them about my nut allergy, will they end up making a special meal for me that isn't as good as the regular menu? If so, I would rather just tell the FA. And 3) Do the after dinner chocolates have nuts?

AA_EXP09 Mar 6, 2012 9:01 am

Originally Posted by djangojam (Post 18144752)
I'm flying in a couple of weeks JFK-HKG in F and then HKG-ORD in J (hopefully upgrading). I'm allergic to pretty much all tree nuts except for almonds. The allergy is relatively mild and by no means life threatening but accidental consumption could definitely ruin my flight.

I have a few questions. 1) What kind of nuts are in the preflight nut mix? 2) If I contact Cathay to tell them about my nut allergy, will they end up making a special meal for me that isn't as good as the regular menu? If so, I would rather just tell the FA. And 3) Do the after dinner chocolates have nuts?

To answer #3, no.
#2 doesn't apply to me.
#1 I don't pay attention to.

miki13331 Mar 6, 2012 10:32 am

some of the after dinner chocolates have nuts - hazelnuts and pistachios. the nuts served during the drink service are usually almonds or cashews.

AlohaDaveKennedy Mar 6, 2012 10:46 am

You should know better. Different nuts are often processed on the same factory line. Just because one nut is not in the mix does not mean the allergen protein is absent from the mix.

Don't play roulette on a long flight - the level of an allergic reaction can increase with each exposure to the same allergen.:(

Originally Posted by djangojam (Post 18144752)

KIXman Mar 6, 2012 11:56 am

This page on CX's site on peanut allergies may be of reference:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_.../peanutallergy

Cathay Pacific Airways cannot under any circumstances guarantee a peanut-free environment to passengers either in our aircraft cabins or airport lounges. If you require a peanut-free environment, Cathay Pacific Airways cannot provide this.

Peanut snacks
Peanut snacks are an integral part of the Cathay Pacific service. However, from 1 October 2010, passengers with peanut allergy can request that non-peanut containing cocktail snacks be served in their class of service on a Cathay Pacific flight.

Provided Cathay Pacific receives a properly documented request no less than 72 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure, Cathay Pacific will endeavour to provide cocktail snacks not containing peanuts to all passengers in the same cabin (i.e. first, business or economy).

Passengers with peanut allergies are notified that these alternative snacks which do not contain peanuts may still contain traces of nuts or seeds which are commonly noted allergens

Peanut-free meals
Cathay Pacific Airways serves meals in which peanut based products may be an ingredient. Moreover, Cathay Pacific cannot guarantee against cross-contamination of peanut products within the various flight kitchens and catering services we use throughout our network. This is because peanut-based ingredients, peanut oil and non-specified peanut containing trace elements are widely used throughout the Asia Pacific region. In view of this, it is with regret that Cathay Pacific Airways cannot guarantee against cross-contamination of peanut products within the inflight-catering network, and therefore cannot provide peanut-free meals. Passengers who require peanut –free meals are recommended to bring their own food items that do not require chilling or reheating inflight.

djangojam Mar 6, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info. Fortunately I'm not allergic to peanuts. I'm not worried about cross-contamination as my reaction is not anaphylactic. It's a GI reaction and I actually have to swallow part of a nut for it to trigger. When I was a kid I would throw up, but as an adult I can quickly recognize when I've eaten a nut and then I usually lie down for a couple of hours until the distress passes.