Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Standard Chartered AsiaMiles Promotion - Meaningless ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standard Chartered AsiaMiles Promotion - Meaningless ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:54 pm

Ended up calling asking them where to sign up, and they told us that "you can sign up for the promotion in March". So I guess the idea is for us to do our spending now, and then when the update their website in March, we input the Asia Miles number and it will then transfer.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lulu
Ended up calling asking them where to sign up, and they told us that "you can sign up for the promotion in March". So I guess the idea is for us to do our spending now, and then when the update their website in March, we input the Asia Miles number and it will then transfer.
ooo. i see the catch: they'll FORGET to send us the details, or we'd forget to give them anything. so, no more double miles and miles will be more expensive.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Double up miles awarded on 26 Apr and credited to my Asia Miles account on 27 Apr. I think I got what I was entitled.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Ditto...just checked my AM balance and the miles have been credited ^
I also received 5k more miles than what I thought I will get...hmmm...always welcomed though
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
I also received 5k more miles than what I thought I will get...hmmm...always welcomed though
Lucky you. I only got four (4) more miles than my own calculations show I deserved.

I thought SCB forgot to convert my SCB Platinum Visa's points but I forgot I only earned 200 points on that card (need to convert 1,000 miles worth min)
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
+1
Definitely got several thousand more miles than expected too!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
hmm ... i've actually forgotten what the detailed terms & conditions were (i think overseas transactions didn't count?) .... i've lost track of how much i've spent.

but anyway, i got over 50,000 miles from this promotion (was there a cap/maximum for this promo?) hmm... time for an award flight to bali in J.

i love standard chartered!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
both my mum and myself havent got a mile in yet....
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:46 pm

I wonder did any of you who hoard miles using SCB credit cards received any notification (new gift catalogue or otherwise) of the devaluation in Oct/Nov 2009 from HK$6 local spending/mile to HK$7.5/mile?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-10.html#138

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1016723-standard-chartered-conversion-changes-16-nov.html#5

Last edited by percysmith; May 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I wonder did any of you who hoard miles using SCB credit cards received any notification (new gift catalogue or otherwise) of the devaluation in Oct/Nov 2009 from HK$6 local spending/mile to HK$7.5/mile?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-10.html#138
I thought this is already something that most of us already know, way back in late 2009?

I converted 40k miles at the old rate of HK$12 to 1 mile before the new policy of HK$15 to 1 mile started.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by toplayer
+1
Definitely got several thousand more miles than expected too!
I checked with an agent before the actual number of miles were posted and he had the same calculation as me (around 17k miles). So, it was really a pleasant surprise when I realised that 22k miles were posted to my AM ^
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:32 pm

I thought this is already something that most of us already know, way back in late 2009?

I converted 40k miles at the old rate of HK$12 to 1 mile before the new policy of HK$15 to 1 mile started.
"I thought this is already something that most of us already know, way back in late 2009?" - yes, but how were you informed? I found out reading hongkongcard.com, not by the bank.

When a devaluation takes place I really do expect notification from the bank, even if it takes the form of promotional material. One CS told me I should have received a new gift catalogue with my Nov 09 statement - I may have received that but am not sure, and definitely do not recall reading about a miles develuation in it. Another CS told me no notification (catalogue or otherwise) was given - the devaluation was effective as soon as the catalogue was uploaded.

The former is borderline satisfactory, the latter is very unsatisfactory. I'm just trying to corroborate whether other FTers received catalogues or other forms of notification of devaluation.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:57 pm

I checked with an agent before the actual number of miles were posted and he had the same calculation as me (around 17k miles). So, it was really a pleasant surprise when I realised that 22k miles were posted to my AM ^
Hahaha. My agent calculated I had 12K miles whereas my own calculations said I've 9K (and I was awareded 9K). Some FTers are more equal than others
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
It appears that the information I provided on Nov 11th was incorrect (post #9). Specifically point No.1 which says 1 point per HK$1 will be coverted whilst the other is banked. In fact, both points from local spending between Nov 9th to Jan 31st are automatically converted to AM at rate of 12:1 without the member having to pay a conversion fee. The number of miles is then matched up to 30,000... which means the maximum miles any one would receive in total is 60,000.

I spent just over $100,000 in that period on my SCB Amex, so 100,000 x 2 / 12 x 2 = 33,333 miles, which is what I received. In my SCB points statement I should see 200,000 points redeemed and there should not a any conversion charges.

As clear as mud?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by KO2546
It appears that the information I provided on Nov 11th was incorrect (post #9). Specifically point No.1 which says 1 point per HK$1 will be coverted whilst the other is banked. In fact, both points from local spending between Nov 9th to Jan 31st are automatically converted to AM at rate of 12:1 without the member having to pay a conversion fee.
Don't worry, they've peddled that inaccuracy to others. I said the same thing on 14 Nov:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/discussi...0&bank_id=0013

"For all new spending from 9 Nov-31 Jan
- all your basic points gets compulsorily converted to miles at $12:1AM (min 1,000 AM, normally at 1,000 AM conversion rate is $15:1AM)
- Basic points only. If you have 2X from SCB AE, the 2X portion of the points will still be credited to your account as usual. "

Then had to amend my previous statements on 26 Nov:

"Update 26 Nov:

I just noticed the most recent Standard Chartered ad showed that the 2X of SCB AE is also awarded double miles, making the offer effectively 4X.

This is in contradiction to what I was told about the 2X on 14 Nov - that the 2X points will not be converted and not be awarded double miles - which I stated above."

I think the guy who wrote the Minibond prospectus got hired by SCB to write offers after the GFC hit - their offers are so convolated and gimmicky nowadays.

Nevertheless, did you also receive notification that the points will be devalued from $6 spending/mile to $7.5/mile at about that time from SCB (revised gift catalogue, change of T&C notification or other bank notice)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.