Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the heads-up. The fares I'm thinking of book into Z class on MH and these will earn tier points.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I'm another Australian scratching around for options, but for me the single most important feature is being able to get redemption upgrades from PEY to J and it looks like MPO is the only way I can do that.

I fly MEL-HKG six times a year and over the past year I've only missed out on a PEY to J redemption upgrade on one leg. If they can keep up that strike rate, I'll be happy regardless of what MPO tier I am.

I considered BAEC (as all CX MEL-HKG flights are codeshared by BA) but it doesn't appear to offer upgrades on that route.

I' m sure there's a lot of PEY flyers who do what I do, and I wonder if they took this into account in setting the club points for flexible PEY so low.
The other thing Australians/New Zealanders need to be aware of with BAEC is that you will need access to an address that isn't in Australia or New Zealand.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by windchaser777
The other thing Australians/New Zealanders need to be aware of with BAEC is that you will need access to an address that isn't in Australia or New Zealand.
I don't think this is an issue anymore since the bust up between BA and QF.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Well if it has changed, they haven't updated their website yet. I checked it before posting and it still says that they don't offer an Executive Club for the South West Pacific. The BAEC tab directs people interested to MPC or QFF.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Sorry I stand corrected. I was basing my comment on something I read on Ausbt which seems to be wrong.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
I'm considering whether to stay with MPC or move back to AA or possibly JL (JL comes into the picture because I may be relocated to TYO, but that's pretty speculative), although I welcome thoughts based on my flying pattern.

I typically fly intra-Asia HKG-PVG/PEK in Y, with maybe 1 RT in J to the States a year. Assuming I stay in HKG, I figure I can hit GO with my Y flights (20 YBHK RTs HKG-PVG is about 600 points according to the calculator), and then a few leisure SNQ HKG-TPE, with 1 JC RT to the States, I still can't hit DM and might be better off as a 1000TP GO.

I guess my more immediate question is, once I renew GO next week, what should I do with my YBHK and J flights between now and April? Put them to AA? JL? Uncredit them and then claim it post-April?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:36 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
For those that are considering BA, there's one thing you have to take into consideration. There's a four sector minimum but once you advance to the next level, it resets again. The points don't reset but the minimum sectors do.

Taken from the BA website.

"To reach Bronze is easy. All you need to do is fly BA at least twice and earn 300 Tier Points or take a total of 25 BA flights. Whichever you do first will get you to Bronze.
For Silver, you need to fly BA at least four times and earn 600 Tier Points or take a total of 50 BA flights.
To get to Gold, you will need to fly BA at least four times and earn 1500 Tier Points.
BA flights are:
flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number
Reward flights and agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify."

If you do a lot of flying to the EU or the occasional SIN-SYD flight, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're expecting to get Emerald flying once HKG-LHR-BRU and back to get the sector minimum requirements, you're in for a surprise.

I banked some flights with BAEC and realized later that I couldn't get it cause I don't fly to EU that often.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Oct 6, 2015 at 9:43 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
This is my situation.......

With the new accumulating Club Points, I will no longer be able to achieve Gold status anymore, ever. One needs 800 points, which interpret as I have to fly 8X a years to SIN as an example. That's way off my trips per year, usually 3 -5 times a year and flit flop between Silver or Gold. As CX is not a prefer airline for my company, I am unable to fly on J class but I still fly CX because I can transit in HKG after my business trip for a weekend(just to eat eggtarts and watch over the Victoria Harbor) before heading home. I can't even fly on W as the fare is more expensive than flying Business class on UA, no kidding.

Current options I can think of...
1. SQ, I can still transit in HKG :-) And achieving Gold is 50K but bad timing and no Premium Eco yet
2. BR.....
3. UA? NO WAY!!!!

Last edited by JohnGreat; Oct 6, 2015 at 2:05 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by JohnGreat

With the new accumulating Club Points, I will no longer be able to achieve Gold status anymore, ever. One needs 800 points, which interpret as I have to fly 8X a years to SIN as an example. That's way off my trips per year, usually 3 -5 times a year and flit flop between Silver or Gold. As CX is not a prefer airline for my company, I am unable to fly on J class but I still fly CX because I can transit in HKG after my business trip for a weekend(just to eat eggtarts and watch over the Victoria Harbor) before heading home. I can't even fly on W as the fare is more expensive than flying Business class on UA, no kidding.

1. SQ, I can still transit in HKG :-) And achieving Gold is 50K but bad timing and no Premium Eco yet
2. BR.....
3. UA? NO WAY!!!!
It only requires 600 Club Points to get to Gold. If you fly M/L/V, it will take 600/(35+10+10+35) or 7 round trips, but of course, that will still be much more than 4 RTs as in the past.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE

2. BR.....
3. UA? NO WAY!!!!
You can still stick with CX even as Silver MPO as you will get lounge access when flying CX metal.

Not all is lost with the changes!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gemini573
For those that are considering BA, there's one thing you have to take into consideration. There's a four sector minimum but once you advance to the next level, it resets again. The points don't reset but the minimum sectors do.
Are you sure this is right? This post suggests otherwise, and the portion of the BA rules that you quoted doesn't seem to contradict it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24613635-post181.html
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It only requires 600 Club Points to get to Gold. If you fly M/L/V, it will take 600/(35+10+10+35) or 7 round trips, but of course, that will still be much more than 4 RTs as in the past.
Sorry for the typo.... 600 points it is.

It still fall shorts if I make 4 round trip to SIN, even if I fly in R. My trip per year for me is 4-6X

And not always SIN, majority to TPE but with Semiconductor slowing down in the coming year. I may ended up 4X a year at the most next year
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
You can still stick with CX even as Silver MPO as you will get lounge access when flying CX metal.

Not all is lost with the changes!
Very true... but the feeling of never able to get to Gold Status really hurts my feeling
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
I also don't think it resets per level. See excerpt from BA.com below.

I think I read somewhere years ago they did have the reset but not anymore.

"What happens when I reach the next Tier?
Once you earn enough Tier Points for the next membership tier, you'll be awarded that status straight away*. It lasts for the rest of your current membership year and for the full following membership year — unless you reach the next tier in the meantime.

For instance, if you start your membership year as a Blue Member and earn 300 Tier Points, you'll become a Bronze Member with all of the benefits.

You will continue to earn Tier Points when you fly and if you reach 600 within the same year, you'll become a Silver Member.

Once your Tier Points reset to zero at the end of your membership year — the anniversary of when you joined — you will stay as a Silver Member for the next membership year.

*This can take up to 48 hours to appear on your account."

Originally Posted by gemini573

Taken from the BA website.

"To reach Bronze is easy. All you need to do is fly BA at least twice and earn 300 Tier Points or take a total of 25 BA flights. Whichever you do first will get you to Bronze.
For Silver, you need to fly BA at least four times and earn 600 Tier Points or take a total of 50 BA flights.
To get to Gold, you will need to fly BA at least four times and earn 1500 Tier Points.
BA flights are:
flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number
Reward flights and agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify."

If you do a lot of flying to the EU or the occasional SIN-SYD flight, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're expecting to get Emerald flying once HKG-LHR-BRU and back to get the sector minimum requirements, you're in for a surprise.

I banked some flights with BAEC and realized later that I couldn't get it cause I don't fly to EU that often.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life

With the new accumulating Club Points, I will no longer be able to achieve Gold status anymore, ever.

2. BR.....
3. UA? NO WAY!!!!
Fly JL, credit to BA. New JL biz suites are better than CX IMO.

SFO-NRT-SIN = 70 TP in OLSVGRKM (140 per return)

600 TP = BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire) so only 3.5 return trips.

Being based in USA, your BA Avios are excellent for short haul redemptions on AA.

Also, JAL have more sales and better pricing ex-USA so your cost base to obtain status will be lower than with CX.
As an extra kicker... you also have SFO-LHR-SIN to mix it up and hit your BA segments.
Additionally... if you have a little extra time, nest a DONE4 inside one of your return trips ex-Asia - throw in a few extra bucks to top up the difference in what your company pays for Y and you'll hit BA gold in no time for not much more $.

Next problem?

Last edited by d00t; Oct 7, 2015 at 12:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.