Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lostabroad
Hey guys, I'm currently waitlisted on a paid (but refundable) YS ticket on CX811 2/12/16. Looking to bump up to biz. I just noticed today that BA's website is showing 6 available award seats this morning. Just checked again now and it says 7. Called Asia Miles thinking it was a shoe-in, but requires manual request. They said there were no available upgrade seats. Is that a status thing, as I'm the lowest nobody in AM? They said they would email once something opens up, but from skimming through this thread, it sounds like I'm better off trying to manually call in upgrades.
BA website showed 7 seats available but what did AM website show????
It is CX flight so AM should show a more reliable result...
My experience is -- what you see on AM/CX website is what tou could get!
Even though the reward seat is not available on AM/CX website, you could still give them a call.
They might put your waitlist order a bit forward...

Last edited by wyskevin; Jan 27, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Hey guys, I'm currently waitlisted on a paid (but refundable) YS ticket on CX811 2/12/16. Looking to bump up to biz. I just noticed today that BA's website is showing 6 available award seats this morning. Just checked again now and it says 7. Called Asia Miles thinking it was a shoe-in, but requires manual request. They said there were no available upgrade seats. Is that a status thing, as I'm the lowest nobody in AM? They said they would email once something opens up, but from skimming through this thread, it sounds like I'm better off trying to manually call in upgrades.
Wait. Two class upgrade Y-->J? Not allowed
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Wait. Two class upgrade Y-->J? Not allowed
Sorry--meant premium economy paid seat, if that matters.

I'm not a MPC member, so I don't know if I can see award availability on CX website. I'll try AM's award search. If I had to guess, I think I'm getting the lowest tier priority at the moment because of my entry level AM status. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:44 pm

Currently have a reward redemption with the last leg HKG-YVR on Feb 28. I want to postpone it till after March 20.

Nothing is available and i've been calling MPC for the past couple of weeks, anyone can enlighten me my chances?

I see that Economy Save is available and booking class S for the dates I want to fly but nothing is available for reward redemption
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I have another question about waitlisting...

I have put myself on the waitlist for a roundtrip flight.

How does this work if there is OUTBOUND availability on the day I want, but no INBOUND availability? I can speculate that they would not issue the award ticket until BOTH ways have availability. Right?

In other words, should I waitlist for one-way tickets? One-way INBOUND, and one-way OUTBOUND?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Sorry--meant premium economy paid seat, if that matters.

I'm not a MPC member, so I don't know if I can see award availability on CX website. I'll try AM's award search. If I had to guess, I think I'm getting the lowest tier priority at the moment because of my entry level AM status. Thanks!
1) "PEY" or "Y+" is typically what we use around here to denote premium economy. There are three sub fareclasses in PEY on CX: W, R and E.

2) Check your fare subclass. Only W and R can upgrade to J.

3) two possible issues. Either a) the upgrade inventory is inferior (we've heard multiple reports around here to that extent), or BA is showing phantom inventory. Partner redemptions do not have any priority over straight-up (non upgrade) Asia Miles inventory. And in certain circumstances, Asia Miles has inventory that partners don't have access to. BA is known to show phantom space from time to time.

But we also have reports of AM upgrade availability being inferior to pure AM availability. So this may be what's going on. To check if it's this issue, you can simply ask if a full redemption is available for AM. If they say no, then BA is just showing phantom inventory. Partners do not have superior inventory to AM for pure redemptions. Status is irrelevant.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I have another question about waitlisting...

I have put myself on the waitlist for a roundtrip flight.

How does this work if there is OUTBOUND availability on the day I want, but no INBOUND availability? I can speculate that they would not issue the award ticket until BOTH ways have availability. Right?

In other words, should I waitlist for one-way tickets? One-way INBOUND, and one-way OUTBOUND?
They will deduct one way miles when you fly the outbound and then when your inbound is clear deduct another one way miles.

Then they will credit you the difference of 2 one way vs 1 round trip tickets IF and only if they are ONE redemption.

If your inbound never clear and you only fly the outbound you get charge miles for one way ONLY.

So book them into one round trip redemption unless you have lots of miles and don't really care about the difference
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Let's say I want to do R -> U for something like ORD-HKG-(stopover)-HND. ORD-HKG-HND and ORD-HKG is the same mileage band so ideally I want to upgrade both sectors. It's in the same ticket, ex-HND.

Suppose ORD-HKG clears, I get charged 27.5k AM but HKG-HND (on some future desired date of mine) is waitlisted. When HKG-HND eventually clears a long time later, do I get it for free or will I be charged the R->U mileage for HKG-HND again separately?

If that happens, to avoid that, should I change the underlying R booking of HKG-HND to some date where it also has U availability so both segments will clear at the same time once ORD-HKG clears. But then once that happens am I locked in for the date to travel HKG-HND? Can you change an R->U sector date once it's cleared?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Suppose ORD-HKG clears, I get charged 27.5k AM but HKG-HND (on some future desired date of mine) is waitlisted. When HKG-HND eventually clears a long time later, do I get it for free or will I be charged the R->U mileage for HKG-HND again separately?
That's a reissue US$100/10,000AM
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by percysmith
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
That's a reissue US$100/10,000AM
Perhaps they may simply reissue without cost (as OP was waitlisted anyway) or will deduct miles and refund after the trip is over. It is better for OP to ask AM that when/if waitlist is cleared.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Perhaps they may simply reissue without cost (as OP was waitlisted anyway) or will deduct miles and refund after the trip is over. It is better for OP to ask AM that when/if waitlist is cleared.
But G-CIVC may need CX status for that?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
thanks percysmith and cxfan1960 dai los as always; guess I have to call in and ask when the dates become more solid...

regional PEY on the outbound was just bad in service so I actually want that upgrade more, tbh
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
As an update to this thread...

I had originally waitlisted on January 27 for a round-trip.

It then occurred to me that perhaps the waitlist would not clear unless BOTH inbound AND outbound had seats. So, I then waitlisted a second booking for one-way flights in each direction. Those second bookings were made on January 29.

Today I received an email and SMS indicating that the waitlist had been cleared/confirmed. I had quite a long time to confirm/ticket it (April 2).

I contacted MPC, and learned that it was the one-way outbound had cleared. The roundtrip was still waitlisted.

I booked the one way, and have a J seat in the mini-cabin! :-)

(In the meantime, I have been playing "whack-a-mole" looking for reward availability. I checked this morning and nothing was available.)
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: pleb
Just some recent experience. I was on the waitlist for CX 469 on February 12, for Y+, J and F. Checked every day for the past week or so to see if any of those would clear, and at the same time would re-check award booking availabilities. Lo and behold this morning checked and saw there was an opening Y+ seat for the flight, but nothing had cleared for my waitlist. CX's waitlist is clearly ineffective.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: QF WP
I'm waitlisted for an award seat in a few months time. Does OWE status with another airline help at all? Since it's meaningless for an upgrade waitlist, I guess it's also meaningless for an award waitlist? Either way, it probably doesn't matter if I need to play whack a mole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.