Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to get seat assignment for 11D & 11G on the 777-300ER?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum

Hi all,

My wife and I have a trip coming up from HKG-ORD on CX806, the seat map on expedia.com shows that these two best companion seats (small cabin section) of the business class "available" with a catch as Preferred Seat. So naturally, when I try to select them on CX website, they are not available.

My questions: Are they reserved for CX's elites? Or at least until the very last hours of departure? Or only for traveler with baby?

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:30 pm

Oneworld elites should be able to reserve those seats. Just call in and ask for them.

Do be aware that there is a soiled linen bin by 11D, used during meal times. Some have reported that it is pretty disruptive, while others say they aren't too distracting. I guess it depends on the crew. You may want to consider 12D/G as well.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by jamescho
Oneworld elites should be able to reserve those seats. Just call in and ask for them.

Do be aware that there is a soiled linen bin by 11D, used during meal times. Some have reported that it is pretty disruptive, while others say they aren't too distracting. I guess it depends on the crew. You may want to consider 12D/G as well.
+1. Some others aren't bothered by the soiled linen bin...but count me as someone who was in the past, to the point that I avoid 11A or 11D. I guess it depends on pax sensitivities and the crew you get. I had one experience with a terrible crew while seated in 11A who constantly (including Y FAs) accessed the soil linen bin, one by one, without any regard for the pax seated in the mini cabin. All flight long it seemed. It was just a bad flight and a crap ISM and a lot of other things about that flight sucked too. So it was indeed crew-specific but that risk is there because the bin is literally right in front of 11D and it is going to be used no matter what. So the question is what manner to the FAs respect the mini cabin pax, and I suspect 4/5 times it's fine.

To the OP: I wouldn't put too much stock in what Expedia says, nor seatexpert or seatguru or whatever. They seem to very frequently contain errors about the CX fleet. I fashion that searching this forum is probably the overwhelming best source of information, even if it's not as convenient as those other information sources.

12D/G are a better choice IMO because the mini cabin is indeed quite nice, and you don't have as egregious an issue with the bin. This is a small point but put your wife in the G seat because the G/K aisle get less traffic than the A/D side (the main control panel for the aircraft lights/aircon/etc is by the front left door in the F cabin, so that's where the ISM or on-duty SP is positioned. junior FAs working in Y who want to talk to the ISM during sleeping hours often walk up the A/D aisle to find her). The seats in the back really aren't "bad" either, the new business class doesn't really have any terrible seats. Since you're travelling with your wife as long as you score any D/G combo you'll be fine.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
11 0r 12 are fine and I am sure CX block these seats for DM as In never have trouble grabbing them and I often wonder why no one else selects them when I book the flight is almost full. I am DM member so I guess this proves the point they do block this cabin off.

I also think its a good idea to block this for their own members like other airlines block me from grabbing certain seats, looking after their own needs to improved if you ask me.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the "soiled bin" warning. The 12G/D already occupied or that would be my preferred choice as well. Now I don't know if I should try to get the 11G/D or just stay with 19G/D in the main Business cabin
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:14 pm

The seats in the main cabin aren't bad. I think 19D/G are fine. The mini cabin is a little quieter, and feels a bit more personalized, but I've always avoided 11A/D for comments made on this forum about the linen bin.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

It's my wife first time flying in Business Class, and she just got granted immigrant visa to the USA. So naturally, I want to take some pictures of us together on our trip to celebrate. That's why I would love to be able to have us sit in the mini-cabin . After all, it's a bit weird taking pictures in the main cabin.

Hopefully, I can score some F seats when it's closer to travel date, I like JL First a lot.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Like many here, I fail to see the attraction of the mini-cabin. The problem with row 11 is mentioned above. The problem with row 12 is the lav and galley just next to it. Very noisy. As your head is against the aisle in all seats, you are very close to the doors of the lav and galley noise. Maybe more intimate but noisier than the main cabin.
I may have flown twenty times in J on the 77W and always take seats in rows 18 to 22.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by brunos
Like many here, I fail to see the attraction of the mini-cabin. The problem with row 11 is mentioned above. The problem with row 12 is the lav and galley just next to it. Very noisy. As your head is against the aisle in all seats, you are very close to the doors of the lav and galley noise. Maybe more intimate but noisier than the main cabin.
I may have flown twenty times in J on the 77W and always take seats in rows 18 to 22.
After more than 20 flights in 6 months in that mini cabin all long haul I have never been disturbed once. I normally sleep 8-9 hrs non stop each flight. I think the comments on here are well over exaggerated
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
+1. Some others aren't bothered by the soiled linen bin...but count me as someone who was in the past, to the point that I avoid 11A or 11D. I guess it depends on pax sensitivities and the crew you get. I had one experience with a terrible crew while seated in 11A who constantly (including Y FAs) accessed the soil linen bin, one by one, without any regard for the pax seated in the mini cabin. All flight long it seemed. It was just a bad flight and a crap ISM and a lot of other things about that flight sucked too. So it was indeed crew-specific but that risk is there because the bin is literally right in front of 11D and it is going to be used no matter what. So the question is what manner to the FAs respect the mini cabin pax, and I suspect 4/5 times it's fine.

To the OP: I wouldn't put too much stock in what Expedia says, nor seatexpert or seatguru or whatever. They seem to very frequently contain errors about the CX fleet. I fashion that searching this forum is probably the overwhelming best source of information, even if it's not as convenient as those other information sources.

12D/G are a better choice IMO because the mini cabin is indeed quite nice, and you don't have as egregious an issue with the bin. This is a small point but put your wife in the G seat because the G/K aisle get less traffic than the A/D side (the main control panel for the aircraft lights/aircon/etc is by the front left door in the F cabin, so that's where the ISM or on-duty SP is positioned. junior FAs working in Y who want to talk to the ISM during sleeping hours often walk up the A/D aisle to find her). The seats in the back really aren't "bad" either, the new business class doesn't really have any terrible seats. Since you're travelling with your wife as long as you score any D/G combo you'll be fine.
However there is a distinct advantage in 11DG as the seat has a wider access point and the leg area is bigger when compared to row 12.
Also most important is that mini cabin gets served first!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by correctioncx
However there is a distinct advantage in 11DG as the seat has a wider access point and the leg area is bigger when compared to row 12.
getting served first is HUGE IMO. esp on the late flight out of YYZ...not that i can usually eat this late anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by correctioncx
yea that's a very fair point. Service is also more attentive in the mini cabin....chalk it up to the galley being closer, lazy FAs are more likely to check on a DM in 11 or 12 a few feet away than one sitting in row 26.

To be honest I always choose the mini cabin if possible, seats 11 or 12K. Those are my preferred seats on 77D/H. If those aren't available, however, I do then choose the back of the dorm room, say rows 25-26 before 11A. 15A also isn't bad, you're right next to the galley kinda by yourself if you don't mind losing windows.

I just had an absolute crap experience in 11 or 12A on two occasions and swore I'd never do it again.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288

I just had an absolute crap experience in 11 or 12A on two occasions and swore I'd never do it again.
So the linen bin issue does not exist for 11/12K? I thought there was also a cabinet there too.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:55 am
Suspended

Theres no (or less) windows at 15A/K?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
So the linen bin issue does not exist for 11/12K? I thought there was also a cabinet there too.
No. It is not a problem. I've sat in either 11K/12K for at least 10 flights and never had an issue like I had on the A side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.