Review of new F wing

Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I checked the sofas are poltrona frau- the red ones which was the same brands as the old ones. An excellent Italian brand.

It seems they got rid of the toilet attendant

The peninsula champagne is actually deutz

I noticed the magazine collection is less than before - no more business traveller.

Overall I think it is a really nice lounge to spent some time in. Yes may not be a LH FCT but considering the overall real estate limitation and cost in hkg I think it is a pretty good upgrade.

The haven is definitely not a school cafeteria

The telephones are replaces with Jacob Jensen from the old BO ones
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I don't read other forums that much, so can't comment. But I also don't understand this mentality that one must always say good things, ignore questions, to be a "real" customer. Maybe this is an East Asian mentality: if you have something critical to say than people take it personal, can't separate business and personal, honest question and bashing.

In specifically my case, it's a curious question based on the pictures I saw online. Hence, I asked here for people who have actually been there their opinions. From the looked of it, it looked like the chairs and tables are tightly arranged, hence, the cafeteria comment when the school tries to squeeze in as much table and chairs as possible. From the pictures, the chairs and tables looked metal, glad they are not.

Some of you need to really stop taking things personal. We all love CX here, that's why we are all willing to pay their premium prices to fly them. But loving CX doesn't mean we can't ask questions about CX. I realized in the East Asian culture people too often equate questions asked to "Bashing", especially if it's against someone or an institution we love in our hearts. But please read each thread carefully before you bash people about being "haters" and telling them to leave, and give the benefit of the doubt to the posters that they might just be curious and speak more directly, rather than trying to stir up hatred of CX here.
Yes, I get your point although my grandmother always said to me “if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything”. Purely my observation, however I rarely see any compliments about CX in this forum so it would nice to see a balance. If I have a less than optimal experience I write to MPO. If I have a great experience I write to MPO. What’s so surprising is the reply I get when I compliment CX: “We tend to hear from our customers when they encounter problems, so your kind compliments, especially from our valued loyalty customers make a welcoming change!”. So a few more compliments, in this forum and to CX, wouldn’t go astray.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by frankyguy
Yes, I get your point although my grandmother always said to me “if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything”. Purely my observation, however I rarely see any compliments about CX in this forum so it would nice to see a balance. If I have a less than optimal experience I write to MPO. If I have a great experience I write to MPO. What’s so surprising is the reply I get when I compliment CX: “We tend to hear from our customers when they encounter problems, so your kind compliments, especially from our valued loyalty customers make a welcoming change!”. So a few more compliments, in this forum and to CX, wouldn’t go astray.
I compliment CX often using their email sites, and I filled out CX comment cards with compliments to the crew often. They even told me that it DOES make a difference when they get compliments by name. I had a counter agent let it slip that she is shocked to see a note next to my account that says something to the effect of "upgrade him if possible", regardless of cabin load. My wild guess was that because I said many nice things to CX that CX will do this to reward my compliments. I dont' know, this is all anecdotal.

As for my post, did you guys all missed my compliments of their Cabanas? And I don't know if language is an issue, like I've said, I asked a question (why is Haven so cram) and made an observation (it looked like high school cafeteria), I really don't see how this got read to be "oh my gosh, he's a CX hater, get him outta here" replies...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
I compliment CX often using their email sites, and I filled out CX comment cards with compliments to the crew often. They even told me that it DOES make a difference when they get compliments by name. I had a counter agent let it slip that she is shocked to see a note next to my account that says something to the effect of "upgrade him if possible", regardless of cabin load. My wild guess was that because I said many nice things to CX that CX will do this to reward my compliments. I dont' know, this is all anecdotal.

As for my post, did you guys all missed my compliments of their Cabanas? And I don't know if language is an issue, like I've said, I asked a question (why is Haven so cram) and made an observation (it looked like high school cafeteria), I really don't see how this got read to be "oh my gosh, he's a CX hater, get him outta here" replies...
Err, I never said “get him out of here” and I apologize if you interpreted my post that way. All I said was that it would be nice if more compliments were posted. You’re very lucky to have a permanent UGSA in your profile although I’d keep that very quiet if I were you. I hope that CX never joins the dots between you and your FT avatar as their perception may be, like mine, that you’re generally unhappy about most of the things that CX do.

Last edited by frankyguy; Feb 21, 2013 at 9:29 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I had a counter agent let it slip that she is shocked to see a note next to my account that says something to the effect of "upgrade him if possible", regardless of cabin load.
Really?! I would love to have another thread about this to see if other folks have this situation. Pretty incredible if this is the case, although thinking about it I imagine it does indeed exist. And very enviable. Between 2007 and 2010 I think I was probably close to the cusp of DM+, and indeed had quite a few touchpoints with CX, but as far as I know I never had something like an auto-upgrade. If that's true you are definitely a very fortunate pax. Do you find yourself getting upgraded almost every flight?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Really?! I would love to have another thread about this to see if other folks have this situation. Pretty incredible if this is the case, although thinking about it I imagine it does indeed exist. And very enviable. Between 2007 and 2010 I think I was probably close to the cusp of DM+, and indeed had quite a few touchpoints with CX, but as far as I know I never had something like an auto-upgrade. If that's true you are definitely a very fortunate pax. Do you find yourself getting upgraded almost every flight?
There is nothing like an auto upgrade. They can put comments on it and might increase your chances. But didn't this poster also mentioned he normally slum it in Y class on his JFK-HKG trips. And has he actually travel in F Class before?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:51 pm

Ok, finally tried it for the first time. Many others have done a good job describing the place so I will spare those info. I am there at 3:15 p.m. The place is FULLY PACKED. All sofas have people taken all the seats (typical sit in one seat and stuff in another, but it's all taken.) The other seats are all taken too. Some people had to go sit at bar table. I heard a couple of pax complained and the staff kept apologizing.

Headed to the Haven. Surprise it's only 1/3 full. However, like others said, the buffet food selection looks like J quality at best. 4 trays: braised pork, assorted dimsums, filet, and shrimp fried rice. All of them are nearly empty as I arrived, I took a few dimsums, some fruits, and cookies and cheese. Then as soon as the kitchen staff took a tray out to refill the food, the people move up to grab them in masses. This is only 1/3 full, I hate to see the crowd at the buffet line if the Haven is all full.

Don't have time to try the incredible Cabanas that I kept hearing about, will try it next time.

I hate to say it but I like the old Wing as it seems to be about ambiance, a lot of space that you don't feel cramped. The new Wing it seems to be about squeezing in as many chairs/sofas as possible. I guess CX wants to solve the problem of over-crowding, but it definitely isn't a relax, refreshing atmosphere.

Finally, it is connected to J so I took the J exit as it's closer to my gate. However, I noticed a few people wondering from J to F, which have to make me wonder are they F lounge users or someone that accidentally entered the wrong lounge.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Made my first visit a few days ago before catching an 0850 flight. Lounge was quickly filling. Breakfast buffet very unremarkable. Is there an ala carte breakfast menu? If so, one was not offered. As before, you can order eggs cooked to order but also as before - at least for me - no one proactively offers this option.

I do like the couple of desks where you can use your laptop. I absolutely do not like those horrible shell chairs with the small table. Useless - at least for me.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I don't usually fly oneworld, and it was my first time on CX ever, so here are some impressions from an outsider.

Does not have the exclusive feeling of a TG, or even LX/LH F lounge, nor the amenities. Overall I found CX ground service unimpressive for what F is like on the ground for other airlines, from checkin to gate, CX lacks severely in this dept.

Ala carte breakfast menu limited, but food very good. The buffet decent, but not on par with even the TK J lounge in IST.

Cabanas excellent place to relax.... But no hot water today.

Champagne was out there at 10am, but it was help yourself, the attendant came later.

Staff very nice and attentive.

The suites in F excellent, great ride, even for short flight.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The red sofas and black dining tables really remind me of karaoke interiors.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
The red sofas and black dining tables really remind me of karaoke interiors.
I don't think karaoke offer poltrona frau
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok, finally tried it for the first time. Many others have done a good job describing the place so I will spare those info. I am there at 3:15 p.m. The place is FULLY PACKED. All sofas have people taken all the seats (typical sit in one seat and stuff in another, but it's all taken.) The other seats are all taken too. Some people had to go sit at bar table. I heard a couple of pax complained and the staff kept apologizing.

Headed to the Haven. Surprise it's only 1/3 full. However, like others said, the buffet food selection looks like J quality at best. 4 trays: braised pork, assorted dimsums, filet, and shrimp fried rice. All of them are nearly empty as I arrived, I took a few dimsums, some fruits, and cookies and cheese. Then as soon as the kitchen staff took a tray out to refill the food, the people move up to grab them in masses. This is only 1/3 full, I hate to see the crowd at the buffet line if the Haven is all full.

Don't have time to try the incredible Cabanas that I kept hearing about, will try it next time.

I hate to say it but I like the old Wing as it seems to be about ambiance, a lot of space that you don't feel cramped. The new Wing it seems to be about squeezing in as many chairs/sofas as possible. I guess CX wants to solve the problem of over-crowding, but it definitely isn't a relax, refreshing atmosphere.

Finally, it is connected to J so I took the J exit as it's closer to my gate. However, I noticed a few people wondering from J to F, which have to make me wonder are they F lounge users or someone that accidentally entered the wrong lounge.
I really think they need to setup a podium at that area like in the past so that J pax won "mistakenly" enter the F class section. Which date were u there as I went recently and also find the lounge a bit more busy than usual at 315pm
I actually find the quality improved a bit in the Buffet. Eg the dim sums, the salad bar and cold entrees(appetisers for the Americans). The hot dishes were similar to the past, however the a la carte menu is not bad, just hope they change it every so often as I have gone through every item twice already- do note u can only one item for each visit.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
oh sorry i need to make a quick complaint about the food in the Haven .....

the food is of good quality, but i've been at the Haven three times since the opening (mid-afternoon/early evening each time) - the food is the same each time. the same salads (the Thai pork neck salad), same mains (the braised pork in truffle sauce, the fish, the seafood fried rice, Hainan-style chicken), same desserts, and same a la carte menu!

could they please rotate the menu around every few weeks? i'm sure the Peninsula chefs there are capable of that ... i guess cooking the same food every day gets a bit routine for them too?

or am i the only one who is getting bored with the same food each time i visit? i'll be there again this Saturday afternoon ....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:17 am

They used to change the food selection 3 times a day and then every 3 days, has the schedule changed?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miki13331
They used to change the food selection 3 times a day and then every 3 days, has the schedule changed?
They do have b/l/d and they do have difference, other than the pork neck salad I've seen duck salad and other hot dishes such as beef stew and crab cakes etc... However a la carte menu remains the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.