Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Keeping miles alive indefinitely - MPC says it's possible

Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: None any more

This is very interesting. As part of a discussion today with an agent on the MPC desk I talked about what happens with miles that are refunded after their original expiry date. Her answer, after multiple repeated questions, because I found it very hard to believe, was that, in effect, you can keep miles alive for ever. This is how it works:

Let's say my membership year ends on 30 November each year, and that I have 180,000 that will expire on 30 November 2011. If I book a round trip ticket to London on 30 November 2011 using those miles for travel some time in the following months the ticket will be valid until 30 November 2012.

According to the agent, if I cancel the ticket and refund those miles (at a cost of US$120) at some point between 1 December 2011 and 30 November 2012 then they will go back into my account with an expiry date of 30 November 2012.

On 30 November 2012 I book another ticket to London with the same miles for some time in the following 12 months, and then do the same again.

Repeat as necessary.

This took me very much by surprise, so I questioned the agent repeatedly, including asking "do I understand correctly that this means I can keep any amount of miles alive indefinitely for a charge of US$120?". And she said that yes, that was the effect. Her English seemed very fluent, so there's not much doubt in my mind that she genuinely understood the question and believed the answer to be correct.

(Strictly, of course, it's not "any amount", it's "any amount that could be used to book an award ticket" so I think the maximum is 335,000 per ticket. Obviously, for higher amounts you could simply book multiple tickets and pay multiple US$120 refund fees.)

Is this common knowledge that I missed somehow? Has anyone actually done this successfully? It's only something that has been possible in the last few years since AsiaMiles/MPC introduced the possibility of refunding miles.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Sounds good if its true!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This is how the way how UA/CO elites work.

Ask. Not getting the answer you want? Hang up and call again.

It sounds too good to be true...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
This is how the way how UA/CO elites work.

Ask. Not getting the answer you want? Hang up and call again.

It sounds too good to be true...
gary, he waited for 50 mins before he got someone... unlike you he's a GR now...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Yes, I've done it!

Used my miles to redeem a ticket for my son TPE-HKG, but we ended up not using that ticket. When it came close to ticket's expiration, I called MPC and asked about my alternatives. This was one of the alternatives offered, that I can pay $120 and get my 15,000 miles back. That's what I chose. The miles went back to have the longest expiration date.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chihster
Used my miles to redeem a ticket for my son TPE-HKG, but we ended up not using that ticket. When it came close to ticket's expiration, I called MPC and asked about my alternatives. This was one of the alternatives offered, that I can pay $120 and get my 15,000 miles back. That's what I chose. The miles went back to have the longest expiration date.
so you mean 3 years?...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:54 am

So it is true!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
so you mean 3 years?...

yes, I believe so.... or at a minimum, a 2-year validity (I have no miles expiring over the next year). Didn't think it was a big deal, but judging by reactions here, it is. I just thought it was a better deal to pay $120 to preserve that 15,000 miles.

Last edited by Chihster; Aug 23, 2011 at 11:14 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, Mileage Plus
120 HKD or USD?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:57 pm

I'm pretty sure it's USD.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:07 pm

I remembered it to be USD.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes - it's US$120 to refund miles, as stated in my original post.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:32 pm

What happens if you booked a return ticket via miles but only took a single, can you cancel and get some miles back by paying USD120?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Been there, done that...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Does that mean yes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.