Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Marco Polo anniversary upgrades on CX/KA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:38 am
Original Poster

I was taking a KA flight earlier today (now a part of Cathay Pacific), when they told me I would be getting a free one-class upgrade because it was my 5-year anniversary as a member!

A pleasant surprise, of course.

But I was wondering if anyone else knew of other goodies I may be in for as a loyal Marco Polo member?

I've read 10 years warrants an upgrade. How about mileage milestones? Sector milestones?

Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I was flying HKG-JFK back in early April and asked about the anniversary upgrade as I joined Marco Polo Club in March 1999. I was not given an upgrade and they told me that these benefits do not exist anymore- so sad.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by lesteryen
I was flying HKG-JFK back in early April and asked about the anniversary upgrade as I joined Marco Polo Club in March 1999. I was not given an upgrade and they told me that these benefits do not exist anymore- so sad.
They do. I just had a 10th anniversary upgrade on HKG-SIN.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: CX DM, PR PE, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
How do they do the anniversary upgrade? If you fly on the day of your anniversary or on the month?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lesteryen
Sorry to say, but I think you may be misinformed...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luial
How do they do the anniversary upgrade? If you fly on the day of your anniversary or on the month?
Might not necessarily need to be the day of. I think it's when you pass the 5-year mark, the next flight you take warrants an upgrade.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KACommuter
They do. I just had a 10th anniversary upgrade on HKG-SIN.
Nice, congrats.

Any other qualifications you know of besides the 5 and 10 year upgrade?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:25 am

This has been talked about often before. Some have gotten it, some have not. Count me as the one that has not gotten the 5-year upgrade, and I'm coming up on 10year and I'm not holding my breath.

Since being a GO member I have 50% of my long-haul/short-haul op-up, so I'm not really complaining.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
I got an upgrade on 5, 10, 14th anniversary. Also 750k miles. I wonder if I will still get one next month for my 15th anniversary.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I certainly didn't get any for passing 5 and 10 years!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I certainly didn't get any for passing 5 and 10 years!
that's an insult, don't they know who you are?!?!?!?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
This has been talked about often before. Some have gotten it, some have not. Count me as the one that has not gotten the 5-year upgrade, and I'm coming up on 10year and I'm not holding my breath.

Since being a GO member I have 50% of my long-haul/short-haul op-up, so I'm not really complaining.
I find 50% a bit hard to take to be honest. I went for nothing to Gold in only a few months. Been DM very shortly after that. I would say I fly 4 to 6 flights a month with CX over the last 3 years and I can count on one hand the number of upgrades to F. I never fly Y so maybe thats the reasson
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by threemillionmilesflown
I find 50% a bit hard to take to be honest. I went for nothing to Gold in only a few months. Been DM very shortly after that. I would say I fly 4 to 6 flights a month with CX over the last 3 years and I can count on one hand the number of upgrades to F. I never fly Y so maybe thats the reasson
50% is possible. There was a time I got five consecutive long-haul op-ups and a few short-haul op-ups. There was also a period of about 5-6 months I got no op-up at all. Y->J op-ups occur more often lately. I only had one J->F long-haul op-up within the last year.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I find 50% a bit hard to take to be honest.
As a frequent Y traveller, I'd say that when travelling alone, my op-up from from Y to J is >50%.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:47 am

Sorry, but Y-J is definitely much easier than J - F. 50% is so far my empirical experiences.

Like I said: GO + BN1 = op-up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.