Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Got infant, gonna pay. CX slams infants with 25% ticket fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Platinum, former UA 1K

I went to book a ticket for my infant today who was going to fly business class, with no seat, and the price quoted on the 26th of Nov was $500 USD (Infant I class). Today when I called back it was $2500USD. I was informed that on Nov 27th, CX raised all X-USA flights infant-on-lap fares to 25% of the ticket price, from the previous 10% of ticket price.

This makes the fare a LOT higher than most other carriers...

Very disappointed. I was under the impression CX is one of the top grossing, most profitable airlines in the world.... clearly their standard ticket prices are higher than everyone else. Why are they pulling this?

Two to CX for this move.

CLARIFICATION (Dec 11, 2009): ORIGINAL TICKET WAS TO BE IN I CLASS - SO 10% OF A 5K USD TIX X-JFK to TPE; WHEN THE FEE JUMPED TO 25% THE FARE QUOTED ME OVER THE PHONE A J CLASS BIZ TIX X-JFKto TPE SO 25% OF A NEARLY 10K USD TICKET (DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON SO RATES ARE HIGHER, SO I WAS EXPLAINED). So Math does add up, if not a bit confusing

Last edited by eightfish; Dec 11, 2009 at 3:30 pm Reason: CLARIFICATION
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
^^

I'd like it even better if you HAVE to buy a seat for any human and there are no discounts whatsoever.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I would much rather see the infant fare not be 25% of regular but 250% of regular. But 25% is a step in the right direction. Hope it sets the tone for other airlines to follow.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Eh? Unless the price of the underlying ticket has also doubled then the increase you describe would make the new price $1250, not $2500.

Personally I am also in favour of anything that reduces the number of screaming kids on planes.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by christep
Personally I am also in favour of anything that reduces the number of screaming kids on planes.
Ditto
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
That's a huge increase and seems excessive, as it costs CX essentially nothing to transport an infant without a seat. I would call back just to make sure the phone rep wasn't mistaken. Did CX make this change without any warning? That would be pretty low of them if they did.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I love that CX is increasing lap child ticket.
^^^ to CX.

I'm more likely to take CX in the future.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by justforfun
That's a huge increase and seems excessive, as it costs CX essentially nothing to transport an infant without a seat. I would call back just to make sure the phone rep wasn't mistaken. Did CX make this change without any warning? That would be pretty low of them if they did.
...but for those of us who travel on CX for business and want to sleep, if true this is an enormously welcome change.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
I would much rather see the infant fare not be 25% of regular but 250% of regular. But 25% is a step in the right direction. Hope it sets the tone for other airlines to follow.
It may not sound very nice, but totally agree with the above, wish others will follow soon.

I never understood why so many people need to travel with babies, 'cos it's actually quite hard for them(the babies) to deal with the air pressure change in the cabin.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:27 am

"I never understood why so many people need to travel with babies, 'cos it's actually quite hard for them(the babies) to deal with the air pressure change in the cabin"
Good point - at Christmas we'll just leave our 10 month old in a luggage locker at HKIA and can collect him on the way back.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I hope they will charge 2000% for all snoring passengers (like the guy I had to suffer on an ORD-FRA flight who kept turning back to my side to make sure that he snore right into my ears)- and 3000% for passengers like the two idiots on my recent flight from DXB who wanted to discuss details of their activities in the past week at 0300 hrs in a J cabin with lights on, demanding booze throughout the flight.
Adult humans are often worse things than crying babies.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:47 am

Yes they are... but with adults one can take it up with them directly OR, if necessary - with cabin crew. if they are truly disturbing others or behaving inappropriately one should reasonably expect action to be taken...

With crying infants - no matter how long it goes on - one is (apparently) meant to just suck it up... Any complaint about it here on FT seems to lead to the question "How do you expect the parents to prevent it" etc etc..

Sorry..... Pardon the lack of empathy.....Not my problem. I didn't bring the poor little unhappy baby onto the plane OK?

You did. Responsibility rests... where????

Having said that... I must agree that the increase in Infant travel costs does seem........ disproportionate!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:21 am

I'm glad that CX has decided to increase the infant fare. If I had my way, infants shld be slammed with a 2500% ticket fare......

Time to travel with CX more...
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eightfish
Very disappointed. CX is one of the top grossing, most profitable airlines in the world. Why are they pulling this crap?
You should know that they posted a record loss in 2008 and a very minimal profit for the first part of 2009, so they are definitely not "one of the most profitable airlines in the world". Basically every airline in the world is desperate for money these days.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:39 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
25% seems excessive. Afterall, all the migrants have to go back to HK to show off their babies to relatives after they are born overseas. Who would want babies crying? But this is simply human nature, well, baby nature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.