Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Carlson Hotel CEO Wants To Lead The Group To Become Top 3 In The World

Carlson Hotel CEO Wants To Lead The Group To Become Top 3 In The World

Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Hilton Honors is an excellent program (I'm currently doing gold status challenge with them) but unfortunatelly their presence in Europe is quite inferior, so I probably won't be able to maintain even gold. Diamond is completely out of question for me.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Although I doubt it would happen, I think a Carlson/Hyatt merger would make sense. Carlson is strong in Europe, the Middle East and Asia where Hyatt is extremely weak. In the US, Carlson is weak when you look at the top-end properties but they have a lot of CI&S which would work nicely with Hyatt's limited footprint in this segment with Hyatt Place (and/or Hyatt Place). A merger would give the company around 700-800 hotels in the US in the mid-tier range (Hyatt Place/CI&S/Hyatt House) which should help give them a better geographical coverage which they are now missing in comparison to Marriott/Starwood, Hilton and IHG.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will change its name on March 5, 2018, to Radisson Hotel Group and Club Carlson loyalty program is retired and Radisson Rewards launched.

The name change is due to the fact that the Carlson family has no longer nothing to do with the hotel group after selling it to the Chinese HNA Group back in 2016.

The Carlson brand is going away to try to take advantage of the core Radisson brand’s equity among consumers and developers, and because the founding family is no longer running the company having sold in late 2016 to China’s HNA Group.

That brand equity has been admittedly tarnished over the past 10 or more years and the new leadership group is taking bolder steps to reposition the organization.

It appears a bigger company initiative will focus on customer-facing marketing activities, including a newly defined digital strategy to increase direct on-line sales, a re-defined pricing strategy and a greater emphasis on yield management. Rezidor said the company will launch a new multi-brand site, mobile/ app across theaters.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Konismarck
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will change its name on March 5, 2018, to Radisson Hotel Group and Club Carlson loyalty program is retired and Radisson Rewards launched.
Very confusing. Is the Club Carlson loyatly program itself being retired, or is it only the Club Carlson name being retired (ie, the Club Carlson loyalty program being renamed Radisson Rewards)?

The actual program being retired would imply that all of our points go "poof", any elite status goes "poof", etc!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Very confusing. Is the Club Carlson loyatly program itself being retired, or is it only the Club Carlson name being retired (ie, the Club Carlson loyalty program being renamed Radisson Rewards)?

The actual program being retired would imply that all of our points go "poof", any elite status goes "poof", etc!
If people loose their points they are going to piss off a lot of people and essentially have to start from scratch with a new program so I think this is merely a bad translation issue. I have never heard of such a thing being done with a chain just trying to rebrand itself. (but then again with all of the crap these so called "loyalty" programs have been pulling over the last couple of years nothing would surprise me)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:49 am

I wonder if this could explain lack of promotions in recent months? I also hope they will come with something big when they rebrand.
I put high hopes into "a new multi-brand site, mobile/app", hopefully this will include upgrade of their reservation system.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Carlson Five-year strategic plan - Investor Relations Solutions

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j...dI-dK-0TeyzkJy
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:21 am

There are very interesting things in that presentation.
Expanding former Quorvus Collection (to be rebranded as Radisson Collection) to 18 hotels this year is quite an ambitious plan. I guess vast majority of these will be rebrandings so I'm quite curious which properties they'll choose.
I'm puzzled by the idea of introducing "plain" Radisson brand into EMEA market. I can't see this ending in anything else than hurting Radisson Blu brand.
Oh and online check-in across the brands... FINALLY.

The plan mentions Radisson Rewards as a new program, rather than rebranding. I suppose this means that program will be revamped (finally..) but I'd be surprised if they took away points and status from existing users.

Last edited by the810; Feb 24, 2018 at 3:11 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
That presentation leaves far more questions than answers. Nice pic of Euro markets for expansion, what about the Americas, where the company is most lacking? They're also being pretty generous with their assessment of Country Inn & Suites market position.

As to the "a new multi-brand site, mobile/app", I've been using the CC app to search and book across CC brands (CIS, PP, PI, RB) for over a year. CC IT has several issues, but having to use multiple brand specific sites isn't one of them.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Nice pic of Euro markets for expansion, what about the Americas, where the company is most lacking?
I'm not sure this is true, I'd say they have bigger issues in Asia when they lack properties even in some major cities such as Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore. Another explanation could be that they want to focus on becoming strong in one market first before fighting for others - in Europe, they have advantage of strong brand and good presence but there are still some important places where they lack hotels (or need to improve their quality). Additionally, western chains in emerging markets (such as former USSR countries) tend to have quite high rates compared to local prices (and therefore expenses), which could be another motivation.

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
As to the "a new multi-brand site, mobile/app", I've been using the CC app to search and book across CC brands (CIS, PP, PI, RB) for over a year.
You can book with CC app, but that's it. For all other features you need to have brand-specific app, so I currently have Club Carlson, Radisson Blu, Radisson RED and Park Inn apps in my phone, which is even more frustrating when I consider that three of those four are obviously based on the same core. Park Plaza doesn't have any app at all, as far as I know.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It depends what you mean by top 3.

Read post 1 again. The "Top 10 Largest Hotel Groups in the World by llenrock" included there has IHG at # 2, and Hyatt not even in the top 10. And # 4 is Wyndham Hotel Group.

So any ranking by number of properties, number of rooms, number of countries, etc, etc, has nothing to do with competing with brands of another hotel program. Wyndham Hotel Group has very few properties which compete with Hilton, Marriott/SPG, etc, brands, but that didn't stop it from being # 4 on this list.

And note that if the ranking were to be by number of properties, Wyndham Hotel Group would be # 1 I think with its 8000ish properties. (But lots of those are tiny motel properties with few rooms, and so Wyndham ranks lower when you count the number of rooms.)

But the CEO didn't explain by which metric his "top 3" goal was being measured, it's not clear what to compare it to. Ranking by customer reviews is completely different than ranking by properties, rooms, countries, etc.

I agree though, that I don't see any obvious metric by which it's very achievable without a merger.
Hes going to end up trying to sell Carlson hotels, but who will want to buy it for a premium? Their coverage in Europe, Africa and Asia isnt that bad, but their quality is all over the place and their coverage and consistency in the US weak.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Radisson Hotel Group Portfolio Video

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.