North Carolina Country Inn From Early 2000's?

Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:13 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

North Carolina Country Inn From Early 2000's?

Back when my stepbrother was a student at High Point University, my family and I used to go to Greensboro quite alot. There was a Country Inn that I might've stayed at, but I can't remember. According to my dad, it was a freshly opened property (I guess 2001/2002, I can't remember), and the room was $50 a night (back then, that was a good deal, but the prices have long since increased).

Anyone know where that property was? I know it was North Carolina, but I don't remember if it was in Greensboro. Is the Country Inn name still on it, or did it get switched with an outside name that was not from Carlson.

Please help me, because my childhood is dead.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:33 am

You may have luck using the "Wayback Machine", which is a internet archiver:

http://archive.org/web/web.php
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

On One Condition...

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
You may have luck using the "Wayback Machine", which is a internet archiver:

http://archive.org/web/web.php
I've tried, nothing. A Google Search isn't helping. Anyone who knows the area can help...
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, at this point, there seem to be about 18 Country Inn & Suites properties in North Carolina:

https://www.allstays.com/hotels-by-c...-suites-nc.htm

CI&S originated in 1987:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Inns_%26_Suites

so it was around quite a while already by the early 2000s.

But what properties left since the early 2000s, that's harder to determine.

But any hotel you find on the list which seems like a possibility, you could call them up and ask them when did they become a CI&S.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

That didn't help. There was this one in NC that went for $49 a night when it was new from my dad's experience.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
That didn't help. There was this one in NC that went for $49 a night when it was new from my dad's experience.
Well, the problem is that you don't know if the $49 a night was a normal rate, or whether it was a low rate that your dad just happened to luck on to, because of your specific travel dates and/or your booking method.

So just because you got a $49 rate, that doesn't prove it was the "normal" rate for that hotel then. And so that aspect IMHO is not useful in determining that hotel.

Only the new opening info combined with your best recollection of the year you stayed can be useful, but only if you take the time to find out the opening date of all the CI&S anywhere near Greensboro (and only if the hotel is still a CI&S now).

Do you happen to know how your dad found that hotel? For example, if it was through a AAA Tour Book, you could try see if anyone has a AAA Tour Book for North Carolina from the early 2000s. However, if that's not where you dad found it, it might not be in there, since the AAA Tour Book doesn't list every hotel in given city. (I mention that because the AAA Tour Books were the main way my parents found hotels/motels when I was growing up decades before you, in the days long before online searches for hotels.)
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the problem is that you don't know if the $49 a night was a normal rate, or whether it was a low rate that your dad just happened to luck on to, because of your specific travel dates and/or your booking method.

So just because you got a $49 rate, that doesn't prove it was the "normal" rate for that hotel then. And so that aspect IMHO is not useful in determining that hotel.

Only the new opening info combined with your best recollection of the year you stayed can be useful, but only if you take the time to find out the opening date of all the CI&S anywhere near Greensboro (and only if the hotel is still a CI&S now).

Do you happen to know how your dad found that hotel? For example, if it was through a AAA Tour Book, you could try see if anyone has a AAA Tour Book for North Carolina from the early 2000s. However, if that's not where you dad found it, it might not be in there, since the AAA Tour Book doesn't list every hotel in given city. (I mention that because the AAA Tour Books were the main way my parents found hotels/motels when I was growing up decades before you, in the days long before online searches for hotels.)
I'm sorry for not being on this site much. I honestly forgot, as I was too young to remember.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

After all this time, I'm going to say it right now, I don't remember my Country Inn experiences. I need this thread deleted, pronto!
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:28 pm
ALW

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
After all this time, I'm going to say it right now, I don't remember my Country Inn experiences. I need this thread deleted, pronto!
You posted around Thanksgiving 2017 and now it's Thanksgiving 2019. I see a pattern.

They do still have a property in Archdale which they _call_ Greensboro (actually "High Point (Greensboro/Winston-Salem)", I guess there isn't much in Archdale). But they do change hands, we see that every year when we drive south. Not as much turnover (or abandonment) as Radisson, but still some.

I remember in 2002 there were lots Radissons, many perhaps borderline for staying a major name (Jacksonville is now Red Lion I think). Then in 2005 I think they were all something else, or gone. They were pretty tired in 2002.

=aw
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ALW
You posted around Thanksgiving 2017 and now it's Thanksgiving 2019. I see a pattern.

They do still have a property in Archdale which they _call_ Greensboro (actually "High Point (Greensboro/Winston-Salem)", I guess there isn't much in Archdale). But they do change hands, we see that every year when we drive south. Not as much turnover (or abandonment) as Radisson, but still some.

I remember in 2002 there were lots Radissons, many perhaps borderline for staying a major name (Jacksonville is now Red Lion I think). Then in 2005 I think they were all something else, or gone. They were pretty tired in 2002.

=aw
Interesting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.