Search

Value of Premium Award in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Value of Premium Award in Europe?

As many of you know, I am working to burn many points before June 1.

As I am looking at room, I see that the European hotels sometimes have Premium Awards.

For example, the Radission Blu in Edinburgh has their standard 50K room. For 25K more (this would cover two days for two people) I can get the following:

ROOM:
ROOM DESCRIPTION:
- +/- 33 square metres
- Buffet breakfast, premium movies, newspaper, bathrobe and slippers included
- Room type / Bed type confirmed
- Free Wi Fi and in-room NESPRESSO coffee machine
- VAT and applicable taxes included

In Reykjavik, the Radisson Blu 1919 hotel has 44K standard room available or for 22K more (again, would cover two days for two people) I can get the following:

ROOM:
ROOM DESCRIPTION:
- +/- 28 square meters
- A welcome amenity, bathrobe and bath slippers
- Turndown service
- Complimentary movies, daily newspaper,
- In room coffee maker (Nespresso machine)
- Free broadband
- Buffet breakfast included
- Room type / Bed type preference confirmed
- VAT included
- City tax of 100 ISK per room, per night excluded and collected at the hotel.
- Extra bed available and will be charged directly at the hotel at EUR 54 per night including breakfast

I have the points.... do you consider the extra points a good value for the extras?
Old May 27, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
It depends on how much you value breakfast and the likelihood of getting a suite. More and more properties in Europe provide upgrades to Business Class room to Gold members without the breakfast included which is traditionally implied by the room type. In countries like Iceland, this could represent a good value when you otherwise would pay for breakies for two. It might make it easier to ring up the property in advance of making your reservation to inquire what their upgrade policies are and whether breakfast is included if you get upgraded.

Moreover, if you book a business class room using points and their is a suite available for the period of your stay, you could request to have that as a one category upgrade. Certainly more likely to happen compared to reserving a standard room only.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:52 pm

Food in Iceland is very expensive, so it might worth it to redeem your point for the upgrade.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I agree with the previous posters, in that for me it entirely depends on the breakfast. From various upgraded rooms in the past, I haven't found the extra space or other amenities of the business class rooms to be worth the points. In some cities (like Paris), I'm very happy with an inexpensive breakfast at a bakery or café, so I'd rather use the extra points for more nights than a premium room. In locations where food is relatively expensive and I'm not familiar with the options (like the Scandinavian countries), I'd use the points for the premium room with the included breakfast (assuming I don't have to leave the hotel extra early).
Old May 28, 2015, 10:45 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
That is my challenge as well. The amenities do not mean much to me... as I am usually out exploring... not sitting in the hotel room.

But, the breakfast benefit would get used by us.

Looks like booking it for Rejyjavik is a no brainer.... I am not sure about Edinburgh.

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I agree with the previous posters, in that for me it entirely depends on the breakfast. From various upgraded rooms in the past, I haven't found the extra space or other amenities of the business class rooms to be worth the points. In some cities (like Paris), I'm very happy with an inexpensive breakfast at a bakery or café, so I'd rather use the extra points for more nights than a premium room. In locations where food is relatively expensive and I'm not familiar with the options (like the Scandinavian countries), I'd use the points for the premium room with the included breakfast (assuming I don't have to leave the hotel extra early).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.