Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

The consolidated "Let's look the gift horse in the mouth" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In their latest promo, CC said that the number of bonus points awarded (50K for Radisson & 44K for Park Plaza) would be enough for one night's accommodation.

However, I just came across a Park Plaza (Southend-on-Sea, UK, 10-11 Jul: One Night) where the hotel demands 57,000 points for an award night

Deceptive advertising, Club Carlson
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:27 pm

Did they advertise that it would be enough for one night in ANY category of their hotels? I didn't notice that.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
I guess it's false advertising that it could also be 5 nights at a Category 1 hotel.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I guess it's false advertising that it could also be 5 nights at a Category 1 hotel.
HUGE ^ ! Just what I was going to write.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:45 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Did they advertise that it would be enough for one night in ANY category of their hotels? I didn't notice that.
from conf email
THANK YOU for registering for the Radisson Big Night Giveaway. You are receiving this email to confirm that you have successfully registered and are eligible to earn 50,000 bonus Gold Points®.

Simply complete a qualifying one night stay at any Radisson® or Radisson Blu hotel now through July 15, 2012 and earn enough bonus Gold Points® for a FREE night at any Radisson location worldwide.
so it actually doesn't say Park Plaza, but states the Radisson brand.
Originally Posted by FedUp2
to a point yes, however if you thought you were going to use the free night at this property & didn't check the points needed for an award before participating in the promo, then your fault IMO.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Regardless, it's hardly a "ripoff" as the OP suggested in the thread title.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
Regardless, it's hardly a "ripoff" as the OP suggested in the thread title.
Agree. I will certainly get $400 value out of the extra $40 I spent for one night at Radisson. Hard to fault that.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Just checked out the hotel in question for the date mentioned above. Seems that the 57,000 point rate is a premium award and all of the standard awards are sold out.

If a standard award was available, it would only cost 38,000 points. Award rooms are subject to availability. I would say there is nothing deceptive here at all.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by FedUp2
In their latest promo, CC said that the number of bonus points awarded (50K for Radisson & 44K for Park Plaza) would be enough for one night's accommodation.

However, I just came across a Park Plaza (Southend-on-Sea, UK, 10-11 Jul: One Night) where the hotel demands 57,000 points for an award night

Club Carlson puts out these incredibly great promos and sure enough somebody will find a way to say they are ripping us off. Just goes to show that with some people there is no way to win.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Bizarre that a Tuesday night in a washed up English seaside town that's well past its prime could cost so much!

OP is splitting hairs though in trying to make an issue of this
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:44 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Just checked out the hotel in question for the date mentioned above. Seems that the 57,000 point rate is a premium award and all of the standard awards are sold out.

If a standard award was available, it would only cost 38,000 points. Award rooms are subject to availability. I would say there is nothing deceptive here at all.
well done !^
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
I have to agree with the OP on this one. Until I recently researched a trip to Europe, I had never heard of Premium Awards at Club Carlson. I've been doing business with CC for about three years now (yes, I'm new compared to all you seasoned veterans) and it never crossed my radar even when I checked out European hotels well over a year ago. Is this new? Are Premium Awards are 1.5 times the base awards? Is CC going the way of airlines and 25,000 mile seats?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Premium Awards are for "premium" rooms, e.g. a room type higher than the base lever rooms. In this case it is possible to book a award room at a hotel even if it does not have any standard rooms left.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by bevoinva

This. Standard Awards top out at 50,000.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Premium Awards are for "premium" rooms, e.g. a room type higher than the base lever rooms. In this case it is possible to book a award room at a hotel even if it does not have any standard rooms left.
And this. Premium Awards are for bigger rooms/suites. I noticed them last December when I was booking a trip for this April and one of hotels I wanted was 75,000 points. Once the Standard Awards are gone, this is all they will offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.