Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon: Antigua? Anguilla? Both?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:24 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
ok, I have to ask. Why the Caribbean when you are based in the Bay area?

Why not Hawaii, Fiji, Bora Bora or...?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
After a long ride to Sydney a few months ago, we wanted to check out a different part of the world - and break up the plane time a bit.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
ok, I have to ask. Why the Caribbean when you are based in the Bay area?

Why not Hawaii, Fiji, Bora Bora or...?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davesfolhr
we wanted to check out a different part of the world - and break up the plane time a bit.
got it, I'm just showing my envy for locations that are much easier for you to fly to than I can out of ORD.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I actually just went to Grand Cayman in November with a group of three girls. I am from New York, but the other two are from Los Angeles and San Francisco. Even though it takes them 10 hours to fly there and they have to leave the night before and connect to another flight after a redeye, they say they just love the Caribbean so much that it's worth it!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 am

Viceroy Experiences?

Hi, checking in on the OP and how the trip went. Think you were heading there in April...

I'm looking to book an anniversary trip at the Viceroy and wondered about your experiences. They have generally great reviews everywhere, but anything specific to share? We're considering a rooftop studio and would appreciate any relevant comments.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by Cobijonz
Hi, checking in on the OP and how the trip went. Think you were heading there in April...

I'm looking to book an anniversary trip at the Viceroy and wondered about your experiences. They have generally great reviews everywhere, but anything specific to share? We're considering a rooftop studio and would appreciate any relevant comments.

Thanks.
Same, looking at the Viceroy for my upcoming honeymoon. I heard it's on the "not as nice" side of the island for beaches. Thoughts?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RuesterGAGT
I heard it's on the "not as nice" side of the island for beaches. Thoughts?
Incorrect. There are many excellent beaches on Anguilla, on both sides of the island, including Meads Bay where the Viceroy sits (next to, but not really on).
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:13 am

Meads Bay is a lovely and you will be able to walk along it to several terrific restaurants. That said, it is not as beautiful (or generally as calm) as Maundays, home of Cap Juluca. As Cactuspete said, there are many excellent beaches on Anguilla and visiting them is easy.

Viceroy has been a divisive property to many long time Anguilla goers because its style and feel is more Miami Beach than Anguilla to some. That said, it is new and beautiful and if you are receptive to more of a scene-y place, it might fit the bill perfectly. Service lapses seem to be the biggest complaint, but that is certainly only an occasional
one.

My biggest beef with Viceroy is that it pushed through a breakwater project that is likely to have long term ramifications for all of the properties on Meads Bay. Idiotically, they started the project this year during the high season, where guests were treated to cranes and noise while "relaxing" on the beach. Before I considered Viceroy, I would call to be certain that the project has been completed.

Trip Advisor has many posters who know Viceroy well, so throw up some questions there.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:09 pm

Honeymoon: Antigua? Anguilla? Both?

Read the book "a trip to the beach" about Anguilla and opening a restaurant there. Great read - will get you excited.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for not replying sooner. We did indeed go in April.

The Viceroy is a VERY nice property that is unlike anything else we saw in Anguilla. However, it is physically huge - much bigger than you would think 150ish rooms would be - and is a bit of a scene. Simon Cowell was there while we were, and I would say the average guest tends towards fashionista. We stayed in the lowest-tier room and it still easily was on par with a nice Four Seasons/Ritz/high end boutique hotel. The service was also largely very good, with limited exceptions. The views from the rooftop studios will be amazing save for the fact that they're putting in a breakwater, so you'll be seeing tugboats pushing barges full of rocks around, while a crane deposits them into the water. I wouldn't go until that project is completed.

Also the food is pretty good, but on an island full of amazing restaurants you'd be silly to eat on the property.

We did go to Cap Jaluca to check it out and that property is tired. I do understand that it's undergoing renovations soon.

Some of the beachside restaurants and shacks (Straw Hat, Blanchard's, Blanchard's Beach Shack, etc.) are really great.

We loved Anguilla and would go there again - but I probably would not again cough up $1+K/night to stay at the Viceroy when some of the other hotels are more intimate (and less expensive).

I was surprised that only lodging on Anguilla was pricey - meals at high end restaurants were less than what I pay to eat in San Francisco restaurants.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Originally Posted by Cobijonz

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:00 am

Question for the OP - sorry to bring up an old post. Did you goto Hermitage at Antigua, and how did it compare?

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm planning a 5-day honeymoon in the Caribbean in August, with another two days probably at the Ritz in Miami. I'm pretty set on Hermitage in Antigua, but the cost ($7500, includes flights) is killing me - going anyplace else is easily a couple thousand cheaper. That said, Hermitage is all-inclusive and it sounds like the food and service is truly exceptional. I'm thinking in the end, I'd probably end up spending the same at Viceroy Anguilla.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

We did indeed spend five nights at Hermitage Bay. I used Luxury Link and was able to save about 35% vs. what their listed prices were. The service is indeed exceptional. The food, however, is just pretty good - reflective of the challenges that an isolated location presents. If you guys are foodies, I can't recommend Anguilla enough, because the food on that island really is exceptional. However, Hermitage is so unbelievably private - and quite luxurious - that it's really an apple/oranges comparison.

Hope that was helpful. Let me know if I can provide any other info or you want to jump on the phone.

Originally Posted by midimid
Question for the OP - sorry to bring up an old post. Did you goto Hermitage at Antigua, and how did it compare?

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm planning a 5-day honeymoon in the Caribbean in August, with another two days probably at the Ritz in Miami. I'm pretty set on Hermitage in Antigua, but the cost ($7500, includes flights) is killing me - going anyplace else is easily a couple thousand cheaper. That said, Hermitage is all-inclusive and it sounds like the food and service is truly exceptional. I'm thinking in the end, I'd probably end up spending the same at Viceroy Anguilla.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Antigua has a fair amount of things to do, several old forts which are very scenic, good restaurants, St. Johns is an interesting town. For goodness sake, if you go there, get out and see things. (I've never understood the insular, plop yourself in a resort and never leave attitude.) From Antigua, a fascinating day trip is over to Montserrat where there is an active volcano, with the whole south end of the island, including the capital, covered with ash just a few years ago. I think you have to take a flight these days, as ferry service was spotty when I was there at least.

Anguilla is a big, flat, dry island with good restaurants and beautiful beaches but not a lot else. Rent a car at least one day and drive around. Almost no traffic. I remember a little beach shack/bar at the very end of the road at the northeast tip of the island that had the best ice cold beer....

For things to do and lots great restaurants, I'd actually recommend Sint Maarten/St. Martin over Anguilla. Anguilla is more quiet and rural; it all depends on what you are looking for.
Doc - 2 questions for you:
1) I am planning on a family vacation this December and have narrowed down to either Antigua Village Beach Club or Tranquility Bay Antigua. Do you have any insight on either of these places?
2) I am a UA guy like you but I am having a tough time finding suitable flights (preferred FC) on awards miles. The route has me flying from IAH-EWR-ANU. Are there no direct flight, even if I have to fly out of Florida?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.