Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Barbados: getting to Concorde museum from cruise terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt

I'm trying to see if there is a local bus that goes from somewhere near the cruise terminal, to the airport/Concorde museum. Anyone done this without buying an excursion?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:14 pm
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by billiam
I'm trying to see if there is a local bus that goes from somewhere near the cruise terminal, to the airport/Concorde museum. Anyone done this without buying an excursion?

Thanks!
I'm speaking under correction - I am a native but it's been a while since I lived there.

If you are adventurous you can walk from the Bridgetown Port to the central bus terminal in Bridgetown or take a taxi. It is just over one mile away - about 20 minutes walk.

Once in the bus terminal you'd probably want to take the Sam Lord's Castle bus, which passes the airport. There are also a couple of other bus routes which eventually end up at the Airport but I really can't remember them now. The fare is $1.50 in local currency.

The local bus company "Transport Board" has a website at:

http://www.transportboard.com

I can guarantee that you will also get a definitive answer if you post on the Barbados Travel Advisor site:

http://bbtravel.freeforums.org

hth
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:10 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by pb3
I'm speaking under correction - I am a native but it's been a while since I lived there.

If you are adventurous you can walk from the Bridgetown Port to the central bus terminal in Bridgetown or take a taxi. It is just over one mile away - about 20 minutes walk.

hth
A quick followup. The exact location of the port is coming back to me now. I'd say the distance from the port to the bus terminal (Fairchild Street Bus terminal) is more like 1.5 miles. It is certainly doable if you're fit and don't have very young children.

The Sam Lord's castle bus goes by the Airport (ask the driver to let you off there), but I believe there is also another service which terminates at the Airport. It is best to enquire at the information booth.

The Sam Lords Castle bus can get crowded at times so you may have to stand for most if not all of the journey if you don't grab an early place in the queue! Still you're talking about USD 75 cents per person as opposed to USD 30 or more for a taxi!

Finally if you're on a short stop off, be conscious of the timings. It would take a fit person around 30 minutes to walk from the port to the bus terminal. The bus will take around an hour to reach the Airport. While bus punctuality has improved over the years, you should still plan in a wide contingency of two hours or so to make sure you get back to the port in time!

hth
Old Mar 29, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Many belated thanks for the info! I've just returned from my cruise, and decided not to go to the Concorde museum this time around due to the time contraints. I was quoted US$35 each way for a taxi between the port and the museum. The bus is still 1.50 local currency, or 1USD. I was told by a local school teacher that was visiting the cruise ship the local buses will take a US dollar for the bus fare. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.