Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Calling Johannesj and Ohio Flyer-Can you tell us about Curacao?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:38 am
Original Poster

We just got back form Barbados and absolutely loved it. However, I am already planning our next Caribbean island and since I try to use miles and points am seriously considering Curacao.

We are a family of four who have the most fun with great beaches and good snorkeling. History, culture and feeling adventurous (as much as one can with a 13 and 8 year old) help but fine dining not necessary.

The Marriott and Hilton forums like Curacao but I would truly welcome any further comments you or anyone else might have.

Thank you.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Marlin,

Apologies but I can't help much on that one. Curacao is a lovely island but I would not profess to be an expert on any of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao).

I spent 3 days there on business and did not get to see that much in terms of, beaches, restaurants, shopping (all the lovely tourist activities). But from what I saw I promised to return.

The people are friendly, the city looks lovely (architecture and vibrant colours), though I did not hit many restaurants, I enjoyed the seafood spots on the island.

I am due to return to Curacao later this year for the Caribbean Gift and Craft Show 2007 http://www.caribbeangiftandcraft.com/.

Maybe by the time I am ready to fly, I will be posting "Calling Marlin..."

I certainly hope ohioflyer to help you out, but what I am sure of is that you will find your answer here ^
Old May 1, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
I've been to Curacao a couple of times in the last year, once at the Marriott and once at the Hilton - they are very close to each other. Overall, I did like the island on the whole and found it a nice place to spend some time. It was not as lush as I though it would be - my own lack of research before going the first time - and I found it to be much more desert-like than say Puerto Rico, etc.

I went to the Hilton not too long after the remodel and rennovation was taking place but still when they had work to do on the resort. The rennovated rooms were nice and the staff was generally very helpful - we got a free upgrade to the Executive floor and lounge without any status from Hilton and while staying on a $95 priceline rate - WOW!

The Marriott - where I stayed more recently - was very nice and I would say more upscale than the Hilton, The property is just better maintained and the Hilton is still nice, but a bit rough around the edges. Guest rooms were nice and of standard Marriott quality; staff was also helpful. The restaurants were not bad at all and in fact I found the ice-cream/food court at the Marriott to be quite good.

We took a day trip to a beach about 30 minutes from the hotels to go snorkeling and swimming. The water was very clear and it was a nice atmosphere, albeit a bit crowded. Also went into town (Willemstad) twice to eat/shop/drink and it was good. No cruise ships in town on the days we went in so a bit more subdued.

Overall a good island to visit, but I prefer more lush, forested surroundings. People are very nice and prices pretty reasonable. I'd definitely stay at the Hilton or Marriott if I went. Oh and I forgot to mention but AA often has this as one of their Citibank reduced mileage destinations, so 22.5K miles per ticket in Y from the west coast to Curacao is not bad at all.
Old May 6, 2007, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Olimaspecto
I just found your response. Thank you very much! Yes, I read it was quite desert like. While I think I would prefer the Marriott, I think I will probably stay at the Hilton. Now to decide whether to use points (30,000) or a sub $100 Priceline or Hotwire stay. Did you snorkel or use the beach at the hotel properties, can you comment a little more on that. I appreciate it.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone here with a more current assessment whether Hilton or Marriott is the place to stay for 6 nights?

As an update,I chose Hilton

Last edited by acysb87; Dec 18, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only stayed at the Marriott. The Hilton looks terribly run down from the outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.