Ridiculous San Juan Layover - JetBlue

Old Apr 12, 06, 7:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Athena53
Another question on SJU:

I have a flight out of SJU leaving at 7:30 AM on a Wednesday. The resort (Wyndham) is an hour from the airport. Now I notice that our corporate travel service recommends that we get to SJU 3 hours before a flight.

It appears from the earlier posts that the airport will be open and operating. My question- do I really need to get there at 4:30 AM? I'm taking CO, if that makes a difference.
probably not, but just beware the Ag dept's scanner line can suddenly bloom to a really long line, which is a process one must go through if checking bags in addition to the typical counter line delays.
Old Apr 12, 06, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
probably not, but just beware the Ag dept's scanner line can suddenly bloom to a really long line, which is a process one must go through if checking bags in addition to the typical counter line delays.
Thanks for the advice on the scanner. That means I'm going to do this trip with a duffel bag and my computer backpack- nothing to check.
Old Apr 13, 06, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Have never had a really long delay at the SJU security. They had a puffer going, and it was the elite line and also the slowest--I had to "ask" to move from it to a quicker line...but then they gave me the whole gamut, shoes etc. I still beat the puffer line, though.
Old Apr 20, 06, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lbrlwyr
The President's Club (Continental) is open at 3:30am and people on ebay sell "guest" passes for about $15-20. I checked with CA and they have told me that you DON'T have to be flying with them to use the guest passes. (I will bring my email from them just in case). So I think I may go that route and sleep in a nice leather chair in a more quiet, safe, and relaxing atmosphere rather than in the main terminal.

Thoughts?
I fell asleep (early morning) on the coach at the presidents club in iah. The attendent woke me up and said no sleeping was allowed.
Old May 10, 06, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I wanted to let you know how this worked out- the hotel's shuttles began at 5 AM so it was either leave at 5 AM or pay $80+ for a taxi. There were 3 of us on the CO 7:20 AM flight. Security was pretty empty at that hour and if someone from Agriculture checked my carry-on bags I never noticed. A good number of shops were open.

Getting there at 4:20 would have been ridiculous. Maybe you need the 3 hours for a noon flight but we certainly didnt' need it this morning.
Old May 10, 06, 8:20 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
thanks for reporting back Athena53 ^ ^

so many FT'ers ask a question on the board, go on a trip and never post their own experiences.

--
Old Jan 17, 11, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I've got a 6 hour overnight layover at SJU coming up in a couple of weeks. Looking for suggestions, and this thread popped up. But it's got some old information -- the PC has now closed, as has the DL lounge. And new concourses have opened.

Will I be able to stay airside for the 6 hours, or do they 'close' the terminal and chase everyone out? Any good thoughts on sleeping? Yes, I've read the SleepingInAirports guide to SJU, but figured I'd ask here. Reports over there are that it's really cold -- maybe I'll bring my sleeping bag!
Old Jan 17, 11, 10:31 am
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've been in the airport at every conceivable hour, and the most that should happen to you is that a police or security officer might ask you what you're doing. If that much. (YMMV though, since I've now read that they try and remove people from the secure area)

However, I suggest bring a sleeping bag or blanket, as this airport is kept cold 24/7. One thing to note, most of the concessions close between 10-11pm. If you're hungry, you're going to have to leave the airport to eat.
Old May 26, 11, 5:54 pm

HI

Just wanted to post a recent data point for sleeping at San Juan. As part of status credit run on AA arrived at 1:25am from Miami, slept on the carpet at one of the empty gates near gate 15 terminal D I think as I was turning around on the 7am flight back to miami. No problem with any security/staff as I did not see any and stayed in dark gate in the corner on the floor with noise cancelling headphones and eye mask, stayed airside as had only carry on, actually there was another 2 or 3 people doing the same thing at a gate further up, but apart from that pretty deserted. The floor was not great but I had a sleeping bag, and I did not see the point of using a hotel for 5 hours. admirals club opened at 6am if that is of interest to anyone. Going to a trip report at some stage if I can get motivated.
Old May 27, 11, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I have to wonder about the cost/benefit equation. It depends on how you value a largely sleepless night and exhaustion the first day of your stay on beautiful St. John.

How does the cost of a red-eye Jet blue ticket to SJU, a connecting flight to STT, and some sort of solution for the SJU layover compare to taking an earlier flight with a quick connection or a flight directly to STT that would facilitate a good night's sleep and a more energized start to your stay on St. John?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: