Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Aruba vs Grand Cayman for family with preteens

Old Feb 2, 23, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

Looking at going to one of these two locales late spring. One week roughly. Can get decent Hilton and/or IHG redemptions at the properties on either island.

Sell me on one vs the other, if you've been to one or both. We like to hike, bike, walk, see local scenery and wildlife, beach/swim/snorkel, and partake in good local food. Don't mind being amongst people but dont want to get into a Disney type throng either.
Have two girls ages 13 and 11.

I can't decide for the life of me. Will see what folks say here.
Old Feb 6, 23, 12:16 pm

I have been to both with my children several times. Both are beautful islands and I would choose based on non-stop flight and hotel availability (on points of course). You can;t go wrong with either island. Grand Carman has better diving and snorkeling, both have many restaurant choices.
Old Feb 6, 23, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Schutzee
I have been to both with my children several times. Both are beautful islands and I would choose based on non-stop flight and hotel availability (on points of course). You can;t go wrong with either island. Grand Carman has better diving and snorkeling, both have many restaurant choices.
Thanks
One kicker may be that rental cars in Cayman are pretty expensive compared to Aruba. Does one need a rental in Cayman essentially? I've read a few things on TA that says its a good idea.
Old Feb 7, 23, 1:19 pm

I depends on where you are staying. I have rented a car or just used taxis.
Old Apr 9, 23, 12:22 am

We have only been to Aruba so I can't compare/contrast your two choices. Also, this is probably too late for your trip, but may help someone else.

We were in Aruba in September 2022. The locals reported that it has been busy all summer. I didn't find it crowded. We didn't make reservations and had to wait for a table two times. All other times we were able to walk along and pick a place to eat.

We were north of Palm Beach and found the coast road to be lightly traveled during the times we were out.

Scenery wise the island is a desert -- not a lush tropical island typical of the Barbados, St. Lucia and Virgin Islands destinations. The cactus run tall there! 15 feet I would guess. It's a different view for sure.

The "local food" is an odd thing. Jamaica has their Jamaican Patties. Trinidad has their Doubles. I don't remember anything that stands out as Aruban for food other than the Aruba Ariba drink. They have their Dutch influences of which I partook of their pancakes. They had South American dishes -- which I can't remember a specific example of right now. Nothing stood out as being Aruban. Don't get me wrong -- it was different than I could get at home and all was good. It was definitely "I'm on vacation" meals. In the Caribbean I look for the seafood I can't get at home or the pork chop with different seasoning and sides that I can't get at home.

It's a lovely place. Our second trip has been planned 8 months after our first one.
Old Apr 17, 23, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have not been to Aruba and Grand Cayman was a cruise stop only. I think what I appreciated most a break from the 3rd world. It is a prosperous community, with 25% of the population working in the financial industry. Georgetown was clean and relatively uncrowded. The area right outside the cruise docks had many well regarded restaurants and many businesses catering to divers and snorkelers. I was surprised to find a local craft brewery. The beer was quite good. We did not eat but if we had, I would have chosen this place.

And not this place. Although it appears the food is very fresh.

Old Apr 17, 23, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Tour guides in the Caribbean refer to that as the American embassy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.