FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico-474/)
-   -   BOS <-> BDA Nonstop (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico/2029324-bos-bda-nonstop.html)

inet32 Nov 28, 2020 12:34 pm

BOS <-> BDA Nonstop

I have a property on Bermuda from early December to early February.and I live in the Boston area. I'm also high-risk (67, cancer) so spend most of my time alone in my house, but I've been very productive with art and music projects, so I thought I'd spend a couple of months in Bermuda, where Covid risks are low and where I can be productive alone in a house with a view of the ocean.

But I'm having trouble finding nonstop flights. I want nonstop for Covid-safety. Delta used to fly BOS to BDA but they don't seem to anymore. I wanted to fly Delta because I'm a Delta frequent flyer and I also wanted a first-class seat for better social distancing.

I've also been told that Jet Blue has nonstop flights but I didn't see any on their website. I've never flown JetBlue because I think of them as an economy-class airline and that's not usually how I fl . Also, do they even have any class of seat with lots of spacing like first class, or alternatively can I buy a whole economy row of seats for myself on them?

Any other options for going direct between Boston and Bermuda without a layover? Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Mwenenzi Nov 28, 2020 3:45 pm

You may not be able to get what you want

BDA Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.F._W...tional_Airport
List of routes probably not up to date, but a starting point

BDA Arrivals & Departures
Keep a watch on what airlines are flying to where
Now days some airlines may not be flying every day, so look every day for a week
https://bermudaairport.com/flights/
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/bda

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Nov 29, 2020 6:22 pm

There are some direct JetBlue flights in Dec. Expand you date range. I found BOS-BDA flights on Dec 19th, 22nd, 24th, 26th.
--
13F

inet32 Nov 30, 2020 9:09 am

There are some direct JetBlue flights in Dec. Expand you date range. I found BOS-BDA flights on Dec 19th, 22nd, 24th, 26th

Yes, I'm aware of those, but I have this property for the months of December and January at great cost and I don't want to give up almost 3 weeks of it by waiting that long. Time is more important to me than money so I'm currently researching charters. Anyone here know anything about charting a flight? I've done it once before, but for a domestic flight across the South many years ago.

rove312 Nov 30, 2020 10:43 am

Drive to New York, whether in your car or a rental? To keep public transportation exposure to a minimum.

inet32 Nov 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 32853210)
Drive to New York, whether in your car or a rental? To keep public transportation exposure to a minimum.

No that's too far for me to drive,, and then drive back at the end of my trip.
Boston <-> Bermuda is only 775 miles. Why should it be so hard to hire a charter? There are plenty of small twin-engined turboprops capable of making that flight.

Mwenenzi Dec 1, 2020 1:20 am

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 32853210)

Originally Posted by inet32 (Post 32854659)
No that's too far for me to drive,, and then drive back at the end of my trip.
Boston <-> Bermuda is only 775 miles. Why should it be so hard to hire a charter? There are plenty of small twin-engined turboprops capable of making that flight.

Take Amtrak Boston New York and then a taxi-uber to the airport

Have you priced a charter 775miles x 4?. You need to pay for it go back to base, then base to BDA to pick you up for the return

inet32 Dec 1, 2020 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 32854746)
Have you priced a charter 775miles x 4?. You need to pay for it go back to base, then base to BDA to pick you up for the return

Yes I have. I got one quote of $19,000 which is a little high, but it was for a bigger corporate jet than I need. Plus they're based farther from Bedford MA, than Bedford MA is from Bermuda.

Take Amtrak Boston New York and then a taxi-uber to the airport
I'd have to get to the Amtrak station somehow (since it's a 2 month trip I can't leave my car there), then there's the Amtrak waiting area, then hours on Amtrak itself, then Uber to the airport, which would be a big-city airport, with all the lines and security that entails. Each one of those steps adds more Covid risk in a country where Covid is exploding. And all of that assumes there is an Amtrak schedule that leaves Boston early enough to get to a New York airport in time for a flight to Bermuda. I'm 67 and I have cancer so I want to keep the risk low.
If I could find someone with a twin-engined turboprop based in Massachusetts to fly out of Bedford I could have my GF drive me to Bedford MA, which is a short drive. all those other risks could be avoided. The question is how to locate such a service. I contacted Massport - the government agency that runs the airports in Massachusetts, including BOS and BED (KBED), but they don't seem to have a business-development liaison like some airports do, with lists of operators.

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Dec 2, 2020 5:22 am

https://www.flytradewind.com/private...ivate-charter/

inet32 Dec 2, 2020 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ (Post 32857497)

Excellent. That's what I need. They have a Pilatus PC-12 for a reasonable price. I've left an inquiry. Thanks!

But question: Is there a systematic way to find these things? Just doing a web search lands me hits on operators from all over the US, which means I have to pay ferry charges back to their home base if it's not in New England.

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Dec 3, 2020 4:52 am

Originally Posted by inet32 (Post 32859537)
Excellent. That's what I need. They have a Pilatus PC-12 for a reasonable price. I've left an inquiry. Thanks!

But question: Is there a systematic way to find these things? Just doing a web search lands me hits on operators from all over the US, which means I have to pay ferry charges back to their home base if it's not in New England.

I got lucky. I searched charter flight BED-BDA and it was one of the top results. My next step would have been to search for BDA-based charter operators.
--
13F

Lovethecabin Dec 3, 2020 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ (Post 32857497)

We have used Tradewind in the Caribbean and enjoyed the service.

For pricing reference, we have paid $4,750 for a 110 mile round trip private charter (not Tradewind) in the Caribbean.