Advice on Bahamas

Old Jun 21, 20, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Advice on Bahamas

Hey looking for advice on the Bahamas. Never been to the Caribbean but thinking of a week next August. Is there enough to do for a week? Will be taking the BA flight to NAS but where else should I be looking to go / stay?

Thanks guys
Old Jun 21, 20, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
Hey looking for advice on the Bahamas. Never been to the Caribbean but thinking of a week next August. Is there enough to do for a week? Will be taking the BA flight to NAS but where else should I be looking to go / stay?

Thanks guys
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30 with the peak period of activity from early August through the end of October.

Expect high humidity and tropical downpours at frequent intervals (usually afternoon).

I really wasn't taken with Nassau (New Providence Island) or neighbouring Paradise Island where the big Atlantis resorts are located. Get out into some of the smaller islands like Abaco (although that was hit hard last year in the hurricane that pretty much decimated the island) , Exuma where you can swim with wild pigs (yes it's a thing!) and
Eleuthera for it's famed pink sand beaches.

I really wouldn't describe the Bahamas as Caribbean, it's a completely different vibe especially on the larger islands like New Providence and Grand Bahama. Think duty free Florida without as much to do.
MoreMilesPlease likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30 with the peak period of activity from early August through the end of October.

Expect high humidity and tropical downpours at frequent intervals (usually afternoon).

I really wasn't taken with Nassau (New Providence Island) or neighbouring Paradise Island where the big Atlantis resorts are located. Get out into some of the smaller islands like Abaco (although that was hit hard last year in the hurricane that pretty much decimated the island) , Exuma where you can swim with wild pigs (yes it's a thing!) and
Eleuthera for it's famed pink sand beaches.

I really wouldn't describe the Bahamas as Caribbean, it's a completely different vibe especially on the larger islands like New Providence and Grand Bahama. Think duty free Florida without as much to do.
Fully agree with 1Aturnleft. Bahamas is not proper Caribbean and I would suggest you look elsewhere. Nassau not great and overrun most days with cruise tourists plus lots of dutyfree shops. Any of the other BA Caribbean destinations would be better in my view.
Old Jun 22, 20, 12:41 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
To give an alternative view, if you are travelling as a family with kids (really any age including teenagers), then I consider Atlantis to be amazing The waterpark is great & extensive, in my view the best in the world, and the aquaria attractions are fascinating. and the hotel itself is fabulous in a Las Vegas-y way. But agreed it's not to everyone's taste, or budget.
Old Jun 22, 20, 6:28 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Enough to do depends on what you like to do. I can sit on a beach and walk the beach and then sit on the beach and then walk the beach all day, breaking only for meals, for a solid week. After that I might get a bit bored.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jun 22, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I enjoyed Freeport about 10 years ago. Very laid back, and good for just beach bumming it mostly.

If you want tons of activities, may want to look elsewhere. It all depends on what you enjoy doing.
Old Jun 22, 20, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Not the best time of year to go, but before the real hurricane stuff happens. The top end of Paradise Island is nice, Nassau is ok, but cruise ships and their passengers really blight the place.
Old Jun 22, 20, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
You need to specify what it is you like to do in order to get a good answer.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 20, 5:22 pm

Nassau has various places to stay like Bahamar and Atlantis. Due to COVID-19, Paradise Island and the other islands should not be as crowded so you'd have less of a hassle there. With respect to things to do, beaches open this coming week. That being said, there should be beach bars and restaurants open, as well as the option to take a short flight over to Exuma or Freeport if you wish to see what the other islands have to offer.

Last edited by SunSeaFly; Jun 27, 20 at 5:24 pm Reason: error in typing
Old Yesterday, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Has anyone been to the Bahamas since they reopened on July 1? We were also thinking about going in August. I know the weather is hot and humid, but we were looking to get away and wanted to see if anyone had an experience there yet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: