Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

ANSWER NEEDED FAST: Turks & Caicos US Passport Validity Question

ANSWER NEEDED FAST: Turks & Caicos US Passport Validity Question

Old Dec 19, 19, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Exclamation ANSWER NEEDED FAST: Turks & Caicos US Passport Validity Question

A young woman is leaving for the Turks and Caicos early tomorrow morning. She is a US citizen traveling with a US passport. She just mentioned her passport is valid for 31 more days only. Some websites indicate it needs to be valid for six months, some say for the duration of stay (which it is) and others just say the passport must be valid at the time of entry. Does anyone know the correct answer?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
A young woman is leaving for the Turks and Caicos early tomorrow morning. She is a US citizen traveling with a US passport. She just mentioned her passport is valid for 31 more days only. Some websites indicate it needs to be valid for six months, some say for the duration of stay (which it is) and others just say the passport must be valid at the time of entry. Does anyone know the correct answer?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Plug the details into the Timatic engine (kindly provided by United Airlines) and see what the answer is:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I used to enter Timatic through my former company's password, which no longer worked. Thank you for providing the United link. According to the site she will be good to fly there.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Thank you. I used to enter Timatic through my former company's password, which no longer worked. Thank you for providing the United link. According to the site she will be good to fly there.
It would not be a bad idea for her to perform the search herself, and to print out a hard copy of the results to show to the agent at the airport counter in case the agent suggests that she cannot board the flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
It would not be a bad idea for her to perform the search herself, and to print out a hard copy of the results to show to the agent at the airport counter in case the agent suggests that she cannot board the flight.
Thanks. She is actually here for dinner. She stood with me and gave me her information which we entered into the system. I sent her the link for the results page and told her if there is any issue to show it to the airline agent, if need be to ask for a supervisor and call me at six in the morning if there is any issue. Is there anything else to suggest?

ADDED: She also knows to have her return ticket information at the ready to evidence her seven day stay.

Last edited by CJKatl; Dec 19, 19 at 7:29 pm
Old Dec 19, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: QF Plat, OW Emerald, AAdvantage, HH Silver
Does Timatic check the validity date on passport expiry or is it just give an OK on the assumption the person is leaving the island before passport expires? I can put in my details travelling to the US from Provo with less than a month left on my passport and I get approval as well, which I've heard isn't the case travelling to the US??? Probably too late to do much now however it will be up to check-in agent AND immigration on arrival when she gets here, both possible show-stoppers.

The UK Government website (we're a UK territory) states;

Passport Validity

You must hold a valid passport to enter Turks and Caicos. Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Turks and Caicos.

Noting the keyword is 'should', so that's where there is maybe some flexibility...
Old Dec 19, 19, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

We entered the date she was traveling to the island, the date she was returning and the date her passport expires. Hopefully the information they came back which stated she can travel is correct. I was also questioning the word should versus the word must. Fingers crossed!
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:45 am
Original Poster

The airline has let her on the flight. She just has to get in the country once she is there. Things are definitely looking good. Thank you again to everyone for the help.

ADDED: She entered the island without issue, although I would not recommend relying on her luck as evidence of the actual rule.
cmx likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Dec 22, 19 at 11:37 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: