Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Visiting (US) Virgin Islands National Park

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia

I'm looking to plan a trip to the US Virgin Islands. Visiting the national park there (on the island of St. John) is be a bucket list item for my family. What's the best way to travel there? Should we make a base in St. Thomas, renting a car there and taking the ferry across to St. John for a day-trip or two? Or should we look to bed down on St. John Island for a few days? If so, is there a better way to get there from the mainland US than via STT & the ferry?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
Hello,

Yes, you have to fly into STT, and then take a cab to Red Hook to take the ferry to St John. It's a short ferry ride. Recommend you stay on St John, and explore the island (rent a jeep in St John). Most of the island is National Park, and it is gorgeous. Enjoy!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:20 pm

We are 25+ year visitors to STJ.

you can only get to STJ via ferry from STT, STJ does not have an airport.

STT vs. STJ to stay? I am a STJ person but STT has many advantages - a few are a lower price point and many options for staying on the beach. It’s an easy ferry ride over to STJ but know that not all STT rental agencies allow you to take a vehicle over on the car ferry.

STJ is a quiet island with very few on the beach options. Those that exist are very expensive. The National Park and the Friends of the National Park offer great free or low cost programs.

If you want to offer a nightly budget and list of must haves for a rental, I can offer some suggestions for STJ.

we stayed on STT twice on the way to STJ and enjoyed it. The waterfront is historic and we enjoyed a self guided walking tour.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
I was just in STJ in June. I stayed at an AIRBNB for a couple nights on STJ. I wish I would have stayed there the entire time, but split it up with STT and Tortola. If you can afford it, stay on STJ, while the ferry is a short ride, I found it better to stay on site and explore the park. If you want to stay on STT and day trip over, check out Redhook as its got the ferry terminal right there.

You fly into STT, take a bus to the cruise ship terminal, take the ferry to STJ. The bus to this terminal is cheaper than to Redhook.
Renting a car there may not be a great idea. Its incredibly hilly terrain and crowded.

STT - Lindquist beach was quiet and near deserted. Stop at the grocery store in Red Hook by the ferry terminal get provisions and drinks, take the safari bus to the beach.
STJ - Ecoventures had a great hike, paddle snorkel 5 hour trip. Check out Woody's on STJ.

Most of all, enjoy. Its paradise.

***I had no issues with Verizon cell service. I was under the impression when I went that Verizon wasn't covered and considered roaming there. Turns out, worked just fine, some spots it dropped due to elevation.

Last edited by grbflyer; Dec 18, 2019 at 10:01 am Reason: Cell Service
Old May 4, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
We are 25+ year visitors to STJ.

you can only get to STJ via ferry from STT, STJ does not have an airport.

STT vs. STJ to stay? I am a STJ person but STT has many advantages - a few are a lower price point and many options for staying on the beach. It’s an easy ferry ride over to STJ but know that not all STT rental agencies allow you to take a vehicle over on the car ferry.

STJ is a quiet island with very few on the beach options. Those that exist are very expensive. The National Park and the Friends of the National Park offer great free or low cost programs.

If you want to offer a nightly budget and list of must haves for a rental, I can offer some suggestions for STJ.

we stayed on STT twice on the way to STJ and enjoyed it. The waterfront is historic and we enjoyed a self guided walking tour.
Is is feasible to stay in STT and then take day trips to St John and rent a car to explore the park? Or better just to find something in StJohn and rent car there? ~5 day trip planned.
Old May 9, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Is is feasible to stay in STT and then take day trips to St John and rent a car to explore the park? Or better just to find something in StJohn and rent car there? ~5 day trip planned.
Good question. In theory, it could work but from my experience you face a big potential challenge/hurdle in that one day rentals on STJ will run $80+ per day and that is if you can find availability. Recent reports are that all on-island agencies are fully booked. Since Covid, all advice is book your vehicle the same day you book villa/room.

If STJ is the focus of your trip, I would recommend staying on STJ as commuting by ferry daily will eat up time. It is possible to stay on STT and take a STT rental vehicle over on the car ferry, which costs $50 each way. Double check your STT rental agency about taking a vehicle to STJ, not all allow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.