Staying in Old San Juan?

Old Oct 9, 19, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Staying in Old San Juan?

Planning a week in Puerto Rico in January, with 5 days at a resort but 2 days in San Juan. Does it make sense to stay in OSJ if we want to see the history of the area and have access to cool shops and galleries and restaurants? Not concerned about beach, as we'll have that the rest of the trip.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Planning a week in Puerto Rico in January, with 5 days at a resort but 2 days in San Juan. Does it make sense to stay in OSJ if we want to see the history of the area and have access to cool shops and galleries and restaurants? Not concerned about beach, as we'll have that the rest of the trip.

Thanks!
Yes, it makes sense to me. I love Old San Juan and we have stayed twice at the El Convento on our way to the Virgin Islands. Check out their website. It is in a wonderful location for exploring Old San Juan on foot. The neighborhood is residential so one has the feeling of living there. Shops and restaurants are located just blocks away. Know that it isn't a budget option and it is a converted convent so the rooms come in varying sizes. Excellent staff and a very good on-site restaurant and bar.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Got in touch with an old friend last night who I know goes to PR regularly and he also recommended El Convento, so I think we will be booking it. About 20% more than the Sheraton and appears to be much more our style.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:07 am

During both stays, we noticed a lot of local business (likely government related) men and women dining and conducting meetings at the hotel. Also, the employees had a great attitude and a great deal of pride about the El never closing during the hurricanes. I view both as a major plus for the hotel.

First trip we stayed in room 515, which had a HUGE private terrace with loungers and a dining table. We felt like we were living in OSJ and used the terrace nightly to gather with our friends traveling with us.

Second trip (February 2019) we stayed in room (can't remember) that was right next to the entrance to the pool area. At first, I wasn't thrilled, thinking it would be noisy (it wasn't) but when I realized we had a door out to a patio, I was very happy.

The front desk is great with questions and trust their restaurant recommendations.

Yes, it is priced above the major chains but you get a different experience. Its not for everyone, know that it has a very historic feel because it is old! The decor and furnishings reflect the style of the building - dark plantation shutters, heavy, large furniture.

The nightly managers wine and cheese reception is excellent.
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

We have booked this. Can't wait until January!
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
El Convento looks gorgeous, with good F&B and a nice rooftop area.

Search this Thread