Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Governors Harbour (GHB) Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Governors Harbour (GHB) Airport

Starting a new thread as I saw nothing posted about this in the forum. Wondering if folks could share their experiences with travel from Governors Harbour Airport (GHB) back to the US? GHB is on Eleuthera island and the 2nd busiest airport. We are travelling on Silver Airways (3M) back to FLL. I assume we'll clear customs in FLL as I doubt they have pre-clearance at GHB but I'd love to be wrong. Wondering how early we should get to airport with a 9:35am departure time. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Whatever you think this airport is, go smaller. Imagine entering a backyard, with a shed between you and the yard is surrounded by chain link fencing. Inside the shed, which is well-maintained and clean for a shed, there is no US customs, and I would be shocked if it ever will happen. There is also a desk and a metal detector and once you're through the detector you're outside of the shed again. The airport must serve hundreds of people every year. The plane will arrive anywhere between 15 and 90 minutes late, make lots of noise, drop off some people and pick up some people in a short turnaround. I would recommend arriving at least 5 minutes before your flight is scheduled to depart.

In all seriousness, unless there's a bag check cutoff, as long as you're within screaming distance of the plane (before or after security), they won't leave without you.

The block party is fun (look for fish fry in Gov. Harbour on maps--I think it's on Fridays), and French Leave Beach is outstanding.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cmx
Whatever you think this airport is, go smaller. Imagine entering a backyard, with a shed between you and the yard is surrounded by chain link fencing. Inside the shed, which is well-maintained and clean for a shed, there is no US customs, and I would be shocked if it ever will happen. There is also a desk and a metal detector and once you're through the detector you're outside of the shed again. The airport must serve hundreds of people every year. The plane will arrive anywhere between 15 and 90 minutes late, make lots of noise, drop off some people and pick up some people in a short turnaround. I would recommend arriving at least 5 minutes before your flight is scheduled to depart.

In all seriousness, unless there's a bag check cutoff, as long as you're within screaming distance of the plane (before or after security), they won't leave without you.

The block party is fun (look for fish fry in Gov. Harbour on maps--I think it's on Fridays), and French Leave Beach is outstanding.
Thanks! I think that pretty accurately describes the situation at GHB. We got there a little over an hour early and that was totally unnecessary. Our flight was about 30 minutes late so again, you're right!

About as simple an airport as you can get and definitely don't need to get there early. No lines at security either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.