"Family-moon" Vacation Suggestions

Old Jan 2, 19, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Play, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
"Family-moon" Vacation Suggestions

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but it seemed appropriate. We are getting Married in August, we have rented a beach house in Florida where we'll get married on the beach. Afterwards we are planning a "family-moon" with our three kids (12, 16 and 16) rather than a honeymoon. We attempted a discussion on where to go and choices were wildly different (mainland europe, Japan, Hawaii, Greece) so we're clearly not going to find one consensus.

We are now thinking Caribbean as it's relatively close, has a good deal of variation but would appreciate suggestions on a final destination. The idea of all-inclusive is appealing but I haven't honestly done the math to decide if it's actually more cost effective, the idea of the kids being able to order what they want when they want is certainly appealing. One example we looked at was the Coconut Bay Splash Resort in St. Lucia - https://cbayresort.com/splash which seems to have a broad assortment of activities for parents and kids.

I'd be very interested in suggestions others may have that would combine beach, pool and activities that would appeal to all. Dates would be 7-10 days in the middle of August 2019.

Chris.
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold
Well---have you all travelled as a group in the past and have a good idea how everyone travels together?

The resort you linked is certainly kid oriented. Your 12 year old is at the top of the age range for the Kids Club so (in my experience) the 12 year old would not be caught dead going to that. My concern with that resort is that in August (summer break) it is going to be swarming with younger kids. That would be a detriment to me and our kids would not have liked that when they were 12 and 16. At that age they wanted more adult activities.
We have done all-inclusive with teenagers and it definitely has benefits. Based on the ages of the kids, I would consider carefully what type of accommodation would work for your group. You will not be allowed to put the kids in a room by themselves so you need some sort of villa or connecting room set up. And above all, you want someplace safe where 16 year olds can't get into shenanigans if they are so inclined.
Personally, our family would choose a rental villa with our own pool. Fairly cost effective, plenty of space for everyone, peaceful and you can have snacks and cook meals (or go out) whenever you choose. But it does mean that you have to drive and get groceries, etc. so perhaps a little more effort than an all-inclusive.
You know your family best---what sort of things would they like to do in the Caribbean? Scuba certification, deep sea fishing, sailing charter, snorkeling, hiking, golf, dining out?
If you are all happy staying at a resort then that is certainly the way you should go. But if you want to explore an island maybe a rental with a car would work.
Old Jan 4, 19, 5:22 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
August is prime hurricane season in the Caribbean. You may have great weather or it may rain every day ( or worse). So take that into consideration. There are some islands considered out of the hurricane area. I know Aruba is but not aure if there would be enough for everyone to do if you are not beach people.

Search this Thread