FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico-474/)
-   -   SXM / St. Martín / Sint Maarten still a mess Dec 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico/1943368-sxm-st-martin-sint-maarten-still-mess-dec-2018-a.html)

JDiver Dec 1, 2018 11:08 am

SXM / St. Martín / Sint Maarten still a mess Dec 2018

Departing, you’ll be kept waiting in a sun-baked lot until your flight is ready to check in. You’ll then be issued a pass, and on your way into the temporary building that passes as a terminal to have your bags weighed.

Inside are several counters that are very poorly signed, where you can check in. If your airline hasn’t included the departure tax in your ticket price, you’ll have another queue to pay the tax and get a stamp.

Security is next, and it’s pretty basic as well as very standard. No liquids other than allowed in a standard baggie, shoes and belts off, etc. Once you’re through you’ll arrive at the departures hall, a cooled plastic fabric hangar-like tent that is unbelievably crowded with insufficient and often broken seating. There are toilets with three water closets for men and three for women.

There are a few kiosks selling basic snacks and soft drinks. No lounge. A zoo is much more organized. A shrill woman was calling our flight while a man at the gate told everyone nobody was boarding yet.

Be early due to the queues, be prepared with sunscreen and hats as necessary and be ready for a general hassle all around.

AA_ORDlady Dec 4, 2018 12:56 pm

Wow--I had no idea SXM was still in such poor condition.
I was on St. Martin for a port stop in March of this year and was sad to see the considerable damage and overall lack of progress.
I will not plan any travel to Anguilla until the airport is in better state of repair.
Very sad. SXM is a pretty major hub for the Caribbean.

JDiver Dec 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Aaaand... good news!

Though actual completion of the terminal rehab at SXM / Princess Juliana International Airport won’t be finished until probably late next year

The rebuilding of the Terminal Building of the Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIAE) will take at least 18 months after the renovation kicks off. The project is scheduled to kick off by mid- October 2018 says Interim Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer (CEO/CFO) Ravi Daryanani.

22 May 2018, Saint Martin News Network - link
the terminal is now functioning for arrivals and departures, and the temporary structures are being removed. ^

The return to the Terminal Building followed the successful testing after the transfer of Arrival operations was carried out on Monday, December 10, 2018. The Managing Board has also confirmed that Departure operations will also be transferred back to the Terminal Building on Thursday, December 13th, 2018. Once this is done, the Temporary Arrival and Departure Pavilions will be dismantled on December 15th, 2018. Passengers on board Divi Divi airline, which made its inaugural flight to St. Maarten on Monday, will be processed in the Arrival Hall when they land at 12:30pm today as will those arriving on JetBlue at 1:28pm and on KLM at 1:45pm.
and

The official ceremony marking the return to the Terminal Building will be held on Tuesday, December 18th, 2018 which will also kick off the 75th anniversary celebrations of the airport.
Just in time for the high cruise season. However, this probably means not everything is working yet at SXM, so be patient.

ordaxa Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am

We flew out of SXM on Dec 15 and I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was. Tents are being taken down and everything is back in the old building, though only parts of it are open. At least it's cool!

The check in desks for intl airlines are close together in a small area; United had a priority line that had no wait and the rest of the lines were fairly long but organized and seemed to be moving ok.

Security/immigration were quick when we went through - the line was maybe 30 people, moving at a good pace. No issues at all there.

There are 2 waiting areas, one just past security where the "shops" are (shops are really basic sort of kiosks selling drinks and one had sandwiches etc; no french chocolates for sure!) and the other area is down the stairs (same as it was pre-Irma for the gates without jetbridges). Quite crowded on Saturday but honestly not notably different than pre-Irma, it was always packed down there. All the flights board from those lower gates at the moment.

Shadowfactor Jan 9, 2019 3:22 pm

Recently went to SXM for work as I’m currently working in BGI.

the airport has improved dramatically since sept 2018. It’s not prefect but it’s much better then it was. Progress is always slow in the Caribbean