Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Question about Baha Mar Nassau September 2-6, 2018

Question about Baha Mar Nassau September 2-6, 2018

Old Jun 12, 18, 11:00 am
  #1  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,968
Question about Baha Mar Nassau September 2-6, 2018

We're planning to go to Baha Mar Nassau September 2-6. Hurricanes and family matters make it possible we may want to cancel the trip. To avoid hotel cancellation penalties, I'm thinking about not booking a hotel until the day we arrive on the island. Any problems with this idea?
RNE is online now  
Old Jun 23, 18, 11:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Whitefish, Montana
Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Rosewood Elite, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
We're planning to go to Baha Mar Nassau September 2-6. Hurricanes and family matters make it possible we may want to cancel the trip. To avoid hotel cancellation penalties, I'm thinking about not booking a hotel until the day we arrive on the island. Any problems with this idea?
I would personally not want to wait that long to book... pricing and offers are typically dynamic, so there is a chance that the same rates might not be available that close to arrival.

One option would be to book the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar via the Hyatt Privé rate, which includes complimentary full daily breakfast for two, $100 Property Credit, confirmed room upgrade at booking if available, etc. You can cancel the Privé rate for a full refund up to 7 days prior to arrival. This would at least give you the chance to see the extended forecast before you make a final decision. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
KristenNix is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 1:29 pm
  #3  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,968
Originally Posted by KristenNix View Post
I would personally not want to wait that long to book... pricing and offers are typically dynamic, so there is a chance that the same rates might not be available that close to arrival.

You can cancel the Privé rate for a full refund up to 7 days prior to arrival. This would at least give you the chance to see the extended forecast before you make a final decision. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Seven days is better, but still not enough for my taste. And as for dynamic room rates, it's been my experience that rooms go for cheap on day-of bookings (assuming vacancies exist, of course). And since I have no preference for one hotel over another, I wouldn't care if my preferred hotel was full up. Worst case: If all the Baha Mar hotels were unavailable, I'd simply book a room elsewhere on the island.
RNE is online now  
Old Jul 2, 18, 8:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ORD
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
We're planning to go to Baha Mar Nassau September 2-6. Hurricanes and family matters make it possible we may want to cancel the trip. To avoid hotel cancellation penalties, I'm thinking about not booking a hotel until the day we arrive on the island. Any problems with this idea?
Is it possible to purchase a travel insurance policy that would a) cover hurricanes and family matters and b) cost less than hotel cancellation penalties?
TribalistMeathead is offline  
Old Jul 2, 18, 11:35 am
  #5  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,968
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
Is it possible to purchase a travel insurance policy that would a) cover hurricanes and family matters and b) cost less than hotel cancellation penalties?
In theory, yes, insurance would cover it. In practice, however, it's not pat. For example, what if there's a hurricane scooting past Cuba heading away from the Bahamas, but still its rain clouds extend over Nassau. Dark skies and sodden beaches won't cancel flights or close hotels. Therefore, insurance won't cover that, yet those conditions would still make for a miserable time at Baha Mar. My example is not far fetched. September is one of the most active months for hurricanes. And clouds can easily extend 300 miles in diameter. Even as much as 400.

What I may do is wait to book a hotel on NAS until the morning of travel from FLL.

Upside:
  • I'd know weather conditions.
  • I'd be able to assure Bahamas Immigration I have lodgings.

Downside:
  • I'd have less choice of hotels and rooms.
  • I'd be on the hook for the UP flights. But that's a lot less than the hotel cancellation penalties.
RNE is online now  
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:41 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ORD
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
For example, what if there's a hurricane scooting past Cuba heading away from the Bahamas, but still its rain clouds extend over Nassau.
If the travel waiver extended to NAS, you could still cancel.

FWIW, we went this May for our babymoon and it rained at least a little bit every day we were there, and I don't know of a time of year where there's a 0% chance of that.
TribalistMeathead is offline  
Old Jul 3, 18, 4:26 pm
  #7  
RNE
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,968
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead View Post
If the travel waiver extended to NAS, you could still cancel.
If.

FWIW, we went this May for our babymoon and it rained at least a little bit every day we were there, and I don't know of a time of year where there's a 0% chance of that.
Passing rain's no problem for us; we've been to the Caribbean* 100 times.

*Yes, I know the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean, still...
RNE is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread