Wiki Posts
Search

Cayman vs Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Cayman vs Mexico?

Looking to take the baby out of the country for the first time, will be 3 of us (wife, 9month old baby, and I). We were considering Mexico AI options in Riviera Maya, but would prefer Cayman. Any recommendations on hotels, resorts? Something that would be comparable to pricing of Mexico.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Having been to both a few times, Grand Cayman remains my favorite for a few reasons. Cayman has a very well established infrastructure and an economy built on both banking and tourism. Language is another consideration, while not a large issue at resort areas of Mexico, English is the language used in Cayman, as well as all road signs. The currency in Cayman has an almost equal exchange to the dollar, and pretty much everywhere used the dollar. That being said, Cayman prices will be higher than Mexico. Safety is another concern, Cayman is very safe, and you wont be accosted at all times by people hawking hair brads, drugs and excursions in Cayman. Cayman is very family friendly, and very clean. There are some bars and restaurants in Georgetown, but most people stay on the nearby 7 mile beach area. I love the Marriott, but there are several very nice reasonably priced placed (albeit more expensive than Cancun usually). I also like the diving and snorkeling in Cayman much more than the Cancun. The reefs are close to shore, and for the most part they are fairly intact. Other fun activities in Cayman include the royal botanical gardens where you can see the very endangered Cayman blue iguana, the turtle farm, stingray city and Caymana bay.
Hope this helps.
bruceba likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would second the Marriott on 7 Mile beach. Good location, nice beach, good restaurants nearby.

But personally, I'd take Mexico over GC. I prefer the AI's if going with a group, another couple. But for just the family, I'd probably look in the PDC or Tulum area. You can also get some fantastic AirBnB deals there. The beaches are nice, and there are lots more options for food and entertainment, at typically much lower prices. Consider safety, although I've never felt unsafe in those areas, nor in Grand Cayman.

I think it's very unlikely that you'll find good lodging in GC comparable to the prices in Mexico. In GC, you really should stay on 7 Mile, and it will be more expensive.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:48 pm

Don't go to Mexico with baby

Mexico is one of my favorite places to go for vacation, it has a lot of things to do, however, I don't think is a good idea to go there with a baby so young, because the best things to meet in Mexico aren't good thing to infants, like, the cenotes are very good to swimming and snorkeling, the pyramids are very hot..... Not good thing to do with an infant
TravelDoorsOut likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:55 am

Both places are very nice to visit with family. To choose a place on the other will depend on everyone, since everyone has some different taste. I would choose Mexico because if you go with a baby you can still do more things. As for the trip to the Riviera Maya, when i travel to that place, i take my precautions as to the activities that one can do and you can not do there. I recommend you to visit pages on activities that you can make or request before your trip or being there in the place. One of the pages that served me as a guide was that of Yoplan. Com. I hope yo have a nice trip.
TravelDoorsOut likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.