Martinique recommendations

Old Mar 5, 18, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Martinique recommendations

Heading down to Martinique for a week. Have never been on the island.

Looking for recommendations of all sorts..... fine dining? casual dining? places to booze it up? snorkeling? Best beaches?

Any "must know' info or "must see" others?

Thanks!

dergon
Old Apr 24, 18, 8:50 pm

How was your trip there ?

Satyam From Martinique
Old Apr 25, 18, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
We had a great time. We were 2 couples with no children. We rented a house up the hill only a few hundred feet from the beach at Anses d' Arlet.

The beach at our house was great. Each morning I would work out and finish off my run with a plunge into the water. You could snorkel right off the beach and be surrounds by schooling fish and even turtles. One day we packed up to try the beach Grande Anses des Salines. It was really nice, but not worth the hour+ drive when what we had in walking distance was just as good.

We had one French speaker with us, which was very helpful. English fluency seemed to be limited to Fort-de-Franc and Trois Islets.

The weather was perfect. The people were friendly. The infrastructure is the best I have seen in the Caribbean.

The only down side is that I was surprised how that, being so very French, there were really no cafes or bistros or creperies etc near beaches. Pretty much all of the casual food was Caribbean fare ... which I love ... but you can only have poulet Colombo and Accras de Morue so many times. (The groceries were filled with cheeses and meats and french delicacies as if they were right out of Paris, but that food didn't seem to be on the menus anywhere.)

Overall, we had a lot of fun. But I think that given the distance from the US and the extra hours of flying I would instead go the French side of St. Martin (or St. Barth if want to drop a pile of $$$) the next time if I wanted the French Island experience.
bitterproffit likes this.

Search this Thread