Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

need info. re: ground transportation from Punta Cana to La Romana

Old Nov 28, 17, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire

Has anyone flown into Punta Cana recently and then taken a shuttle or rental car to La Romana?

I'm flying into PUJ soon and then need to go directly to La Romana. All of the shuttle sites I've found seem to want $75, which seems crazy for a 45-minute trip that hundreds if not thousands of people take every day. Are there walk-up shuttle services at the airport where people can share a taxi or van to split the cost?

What about rental cars? I'm seeing $20/day rates that jump to $200 after one-way fees and insurance. Has anyone done better than that?

Lastly, buses? There are dozens of major bus options from Santo Domingo north to Santiago and Puerto Plata/Sosua, but I haven't found any bus companies that operate in the Punta Cana/La Romana/Santo Domingo corridor. Any tips?

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 17, 17, 3:58 pm

Hi, man it's really difficult to find a low cost trip from PUJ to La Romana because of what you already mentioned: "hundreds, if not thousands, of people take it every day". In addition, we are in travel season.
I advise you to try with any company and pay that price before you get there without any car and you are forced to pay more. And renting a car is too expensive on that zone.
Try with private taxies, it seems like the best choice.

Good luck.
Old Dec 18, 17, 7:01 pm

Hi again, did you find something else? Exactly when are you going to arrive there? Share if you find something cheaper than all normal direct trips.
Old Dec 21, 17, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
I ended up renting a car at PUJ and returning it at SDQ, which cost me about $80 plus gas. It wasn't my first or second choice, but the private companies would have been about triple that from PUJ to SDQ with a one-night stop in the middle, and there are surprisingly few bus options between PUJ and SDQ, let alone bus options with stops in La Romana or San Pedro. Thanks.

Search this Thread