Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. John - lodging/car advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by el aye
That certainly makes sense.

As Lovethecabin said, make sure you bring snorkel gear because it is easy to walk from pretty much every beach and get some good snorkeling in. Honeymoon beach tends to be pretty good, don't be deterred about the proxmity to Caneel bay resort, they offer public parking ($20, but if you spend $20 anywhere on the resort they will validate it) and it is just a short hike to the beach (and I think even recently I read that there is now a golf cart taxi offering rides there).
I haven't seen it yet but I have it on first hand reports that Caneel is offering rides between the main parking area and Honeymoon Beach for $5 pp, each way.

The main beach at Caneel, Caneel Beach, is open to the public and there is nice snorkeling there as well. Caneel security does make sure day guests stay within the designated areas allowed. Its not that they are mean or aggressive but they do approach people who are wandering about and will direct them to the right areas.

The book Feet, Fins and 4WD provides EXCELLENT advice on finding the snorkel spots from all of STJ beaches.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
We rented from Amalie on STT, super deal and very good folks:

https://www.amaliecar.com/

They met us after our flight (on UA) and gave us directions to the megastore Cost-U-Less (near the Red Hook ferry--the auto rental folks know we were going to STJ). We'll do this again this summer (although we have a different rental, through Airbnb).

We disagree about Zozo's. Decent food at outrageous prices (for the quality). If we are going to pay their rates we can get better meals at any of the top DC restaurants (where we live). Best on St. John: Rhumb Line. Better food than Zozo's at a lower price. Best for sandwiches: Sam and Jack's.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by euslaner
We rented from Amalie on STT, super deal and very good folks:

https://www.amaliecar.com/

They met us after our flight (on UA) and gave us directions to the megastore Cost-U-Less (near the Red Hook ferry--the auto rental folks know we were going to STJ). We'll do this again this summer (although we have a different rental, through Airbnb).

We disagree about Zozo's. Decent food at outrageous prices (for the quality). If we are going to pay their rates we can get better meals at any of the top DC restaurants (where we live). Best on St. John: Rhumb Line. Better food than Zozo's at a lower price. Best for sandwiches: Sam and Jack's.

Anyone who lives here or visits often would not put Rhumb Line in the top 5 restaurants on St. John--They would be Zozo's, The Terrace, Morgan's Mango,etc.---The Landing is much more casual--but excellent shrimp and chips. Rhumb Lines in ok too!!. Sun Dog is excellent for a snack type meal.
Zozo's has excellent food and is famous for its osso buco--but obviously not to everyones taste --- it was relocated to Caneel Bay location in recent years because of its excellent --but, yes, pricy food.
Enjoy your visit wherever you eat!!!

Also Cost-U Less--is not in Red Hook--but it is about 1/2 way between the harbor and Red Hook--taking the route over Terhune Hill near Home Depot and Kmart.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by sugarbird
Anyone who lives here or visits often would not put Rhumb Line in the top 5 restaurants on St. John--They would be Zozo's, The Terrace, Morgan's Mango,etc.---The Landing is much more casual--but excellent shrimp and chips. Rhumb Lines in ok too!!. Sun Dog is excellent for a snack type meal.
Zozo's has excellent food and is famous for its osso buco--but obviously not to everyones taste --- it was relocated to Caneel Bay location in recent years because of its excellent --but, yes, pricy food.
Enjoy your visit wherever you eat!!!

Also Cost-U Less--is not in Red Hook--but it is about 1/2 way between the harbor and Red Hook--taking the route over Terhune Hill near Home Depot and Kmart.
First, I didn't say that Cost-U-Less is in Red Hook. It is on the way--about half way--from the airport to Red Hook. When we rented a car at the airport, we passed by Cost-U-Less on the way to Red Hook. Much better prices than on St. John.

And if you think that Zozo's is so good, go there. Morgan's Mango would rate about a B- if graded by the Washingtonian or the Washington Post around here. When we go to the Rhumb Line, most of the customers are regulars who live in St. John. So your claim that Zozo's is far superior to the Rhumb Line is largely based on people who judge restaurants by how much the food costs. On this list Rhumb Lines is slightly above Zozo's (and for the price, a lot better) and Morgan's Mango is not there at all:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...B,lf:1,lf_ui:9

The Banana Deck is highly rated but I guess that depends upon expectations. Miss Lucy's is also highly rated, but it is far less formal and a bit of a drive.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by euslaner
First, I didn't say that Cost-U-Less is in Red Hook. It is on the way--about half way--from the airport to Red Hook. When we rented a car at the airport, we passed by Cost-U-Less on the way to Red Hook. Much better prices than on St. John.

And if you think that Zozo's is so good, go there. Morgan's Mango would rate about a B- if graded by the Washingtonian or the Washington Post around here. When we go to the Rhumb Line, most of the customers are regulars who live in St. John. So your claim that Zozo's is far superior to the Rhumb Line is largely based on people who judge restaurants by how much the food costs. On this list Rhumb Lines is slightly above Zozo's (and for the price, a lot better) and Morgan's Mango is not there at all:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...B,lf:1,lf_ui:9

The Banana Deck is highly rated but I guess that depends upon expectations. Miss Lucy's is also highly rated, but it is far less formal and a bit of a drive.
I have had a 2nd home on St.John for 38 years--I know where most of the locals and visitors eat. To compare Washington Post, etc restaurants to St John is hardly a normal comparison--anyway if you think Rhumb Lines is great and do not like Zozo's or Morgans Mango that is your choice--I respect that. Neighbors of mine own Morgans Mango ---it always seems to be the most popular restaurant--year around. Trip Advisor rates Zozo's number 1 on St John. There are a little over 1600 reviews--1250 rate it as excellent--17 rate it terrible, 35 rate it as poor. Most people think the restaurants on St John are quite good.
Enjoy your visits here-and spend money---we like that!!!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by sugarbird
I have had a 2nd home on St.John for 38 years--I know where most of the locals and visitors eat. To compare Washington Post, etc restaurants to St John is hardly a normal comparison--anyway if you think Rhumb Lines is great and do not like Zozo's or Morgans Mango that is your choice--I respect that. Neighbors of mine own Morgans Mango ---it always seems to be the most popular restaurant--year around. Trip Advisor rates Zozo's number 1 on St John. There are a little over 1600 reviews--1250 rate it as excellent--17 rate it terrible, 35 rate it as poor. Most people think the restaurants on St John are quite good.
Enjoy your visits here-and spend money---we like that!!!
Why can I not use the Washington Post or the Washingtonian as standards? Zozo's prices are like those in DC but it is just a decent restaurant. If a restaurant in DC charged Zozo's prices and delivered Zozo's quality, it would get one star in either publicastion. Zozo's isn't bad, it is just ordinary. You can get far better Italian food at Il Pizzico in Rockville (at a much lower price).

Now you may say that it is unfair to compare Zozo's with restaurants in a major metropolitan area. But is it any more fair for a restaurant to charge Zozo's prices in St. John? Well, especially since it has moved to Caneel Bay to attract lovers of fine food. Caneel Bay attracts people who like to spend a lot of money. If you enjoy Zozo's do go there. My wife and I would rather save our money for a really good meal back home after enjoying Rhumb Lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.