Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest House Scam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Guest House Scam

So I have a one night layover in Trinidad on Dec 18.
I book a room at Liam's Guest House near Port of Spain on Expedia.
When I get to the airport in Trinidad the taxi drivers seem apprehensive because they can't find a phone number and something isn't right about the address, when they google it.
We drive to Hislop Street in a sketchy part of town and can't find Liam's Guest House. There are no signs on the street and when we get out of the taxi to talk to neighbors they all have never heard of this place. After 45 minutes dogs are barking and neighbors are getting irritated by our presence--we decide to give up. The taxi takes me to the one nearby hotel which has a room and a travel meltdown is averted. When I call Expedia I am told thet Liam's won't give me a refund despite my efforts and frustration. I later go back to the maps on Expedia and we were definitely on the right part of Hislop Street. People warned me Trinidad had some scammers but this experience takes the cake, like an episode of Twilight Zone.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I hope you take the time to post reviews on both Expedia and www.tripadvisor.com. Might help the next traveler.

Last edited by Romelle; Dec 29, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Rom,

I tried posting on Tripadvisor but someone (presumably Liam's)
somehow managed to get it removed the next day each time,
even though I ws describing the fiasco to the best of my ability...
I notice now that Hislop and Nelson is a phony address, since Nelson
street is about 10 km away from this "Guest House." Amazing what scammers do to make money when they are are so many legal ways to make some dough.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I poked around a bit. I can see the guest house on Expedia, Orbitz and hotels.com. Agoda and even Airbnb (?). With available dates - sample Jan 3, 2017 on Expedia.

Interestingly enough, when I click Reviews on the first three sites, I come up empty. I'm surprised tripadvisor won't let your review stay. I've seen some seriously negative ones there. Your assumption may well be right as to "Liam" getting reviews taken down.

I've not been to Trinidad, but I know street signs and addresses are pretty dicey in Puerto Rico.

Tough experience. Sorry.

I know cross-posting is discouraged, but maybe in this case you could also post your experience in Destinations - Caribbean? Might reach a few more souls here.

Last edited by Romelle; Dec 29, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If there's no indication the place is real - chargeback the stay on your credit card. It's fraud.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by yandosan
So I have a one night layover in Trinidad on Dec 18.
I book a room at Liam's Guest House near Port of Spain on Expedia.
When I get to the airport in Trinidad the taxi drivers seem apprehensive because they can't find a phone number and something isn't right about the address, when they google it.
We drive to Hislop Street in a sketchy part of town and can't find Liam's Guest House. There are no signs on the street and when we get out of the taxi to talk to neighbors they all have never heard of this place. After 45 minutes dogs are barking and neighbors are getting irritated by our presence--we decide to give up. The taxi takes me to the one nearby hotel which has a room and a travel meltdown is averted. When I call Expedia I am told thet Liam's won't give me a refund despite my efforts and frustration. I later go back to the maps on Expedia and we were definitely on the right part of Hislop Street. People warned me Trinidad had some scammers but this experience takes the cake, like an episode of Twilight Zone.
It sounds like the agent you talked to didn't understand and just followed normal procedure. I would have escalated this to a supervisor. Just looking at the google map itself clearly shows the address is not real. I would definitely try contacting them again because getting it flagged as fraud would help other travelers. Good luck!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire- Marriott-Hilton Diamond sort of- Choice Diamond
It's still not too late for a CC chargeback claim.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.
Expedia paid me a refund after the owner would not and told me
they would investigate the place.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by yandosan
Thanks for all the advice.
Expedia paid me a refund after the owner would not and told me
they would investigate the place.
That's good to hear. Doesn't give me much confidence that your reviews were removed, though.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Find another poster on TripAdvisor who stayed there and ask them for location details and if they were scammed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.