Cross-bordering when renting a car in St Maarten

Old Nov 3, 16, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Cross-bordering when renting a car in St Maarten

I'm looking at renting a car on the Dutch side: most companies I've looked at do not permit crossing over into the French side....

Would be glad to know which (if any) do...
Old Nov 4, 16, 5:57 am

Granted I haven't rented a car there for many years but there was certainly no such restriction when I was last there; unless things have changed drmaatically there isn't even a border post! I had a quick look at http://www.thriftycarrentalsxm.com and their FAQ doesn't show any such limit.

Enjoy your stay in SXM.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:23 am

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Never been an issue for me with multiple rentals over several years.
--
13F
Old Nov 6, 16, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Being non-US and thus having no external insurance cover, I usually book with consolidators (with the CDW/TP and Liability insurance included).

All of these show no cross-bordering. So I guess I have to choose...
Old Nov 10, 16, 8:54 pm

I don't have experience booking with consolidators, but I would be surprised if they didn't allow you to cross to both sides of the island. Perhaps you can try to contact the company handling it and confirm. Maybe they just have standard language saying no international driving, for example. You could easily go to the other side without noticing.

Thrifty and Hertz both suggest that it is no problem going to both sides. I would be very surprised if any company on the island forbids it, but perhaps your desired insurance is causing an issue.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:07 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
The border is an informal border; there's no checkpoint and no stopping (unless you decide to pull over on the side of the road to take pictures of the statues) It's like crossing a state border. You pass a sign that says "Welcome to the French Side" and that's it.

Search this Thread