Car rental on St.Lucia

Old Jun 26, 16, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Car rental on St.Lucia

Can anybody recommend a car rental company on St.Lucia? Looking for a car for four days for 2 adults and 2 kids with 2 or 3 bags. We need the car for transfer from the airport to our hotel (nearby Castries) and for some sightseeing during the day.

As we are first time visitors in the Caribbean we appreciate any recommendations.
Old Jul 14, 16, 8:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
My apologies, I should have got to this sooner because I was in St. Lucia this year. My hosts recommended the following operators:

Economy Car Rental [email protected]
www.drivestlucia.com
www.coolbreezecarrental.com
http://www.bestratescarrental.com/

In the end, I decided to do without a car rental because it was damnably expensive and you also have to obtain a local license to drive. The driving didn't seem too hairy, but some of the roads were in poor condition and driving is on the left, like in the UK.

We used the local minibuses to get around and to get to and from the airport our hosts recommended a local driver, who is honest and decent. Cost was about $70. If you want his details send me a PM.
Old Jul 14, 16, 6:19 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
Cool breeze car rental has a location in St. Lucia and St. John. While we have never rented from the St. Lucia location, we have rented from the location in St. John for about a decade and they have always been a pleasure to work with and treated us well.

Last edited by cynicalbuthopeful; Jul 14, 16 at 6:19 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jul 16, 16, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
When we rented a car in St Lucia is ended up being a bit more of a hassle than we wanted. Driving on the left can be unusual for those not used to it and the signage isn't great. We got lost twice and one of the times it led to two hours of additional driving. We didn't have a smart phone with data at the time. We still used it a few times to go to things like zip lining which I highly recommend. The road was blocked for two hours with a broken down large truck so we walked about 2 miles up hill (which there are a lot of in St Lucia) to not miss out on the canopy experience. Cabs are rather plentiful and reasonable compared to car rental prices.
Old Jul 17, 16, 5:18 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
I strongly recommend that you NOT rent a car. Many of the roads are very difficult to maneuver: winding, narrow, steep, and confusing. Some are in very poor condition too. Sightsee from the water.

The local tourist board has good information on their website. You are far better to arrange for a driver, and most of the taxis are vans, so they can easily accommodate your luggage. A 20-mile drive from north to south on the western route can take up to 2 hours. If you or your children get car sick, consider buying seasickness wrist bands for the ride from the airport. No kidding! It's that steep and curvy.... but we'll worth it - a beautiful island

http://www.stlucia.org/

Have a great trip. (I'm in St Lucia right now at Ladera.)
Old Jul 17, 16, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your advices! Yes, my son is suffering from motion sickness, that was the main reason I would like to drive on my own- so no hassle with the driver to stop several times etc.

Never heard about these wristbands- but we will definitely try these out. Booking a car (family car) from Germany with all insurances would cost me $460 for four days.
I am not worried about driving 'left hand side' but the mentioned road conditions seem to be a challenge.
Old Jul 17, 16, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The bands didn't work for my several members of my family but do work for many others I know. They work by triggering pressure points which are more sensitive on certain people. There are two other common treatments. Pill form (Meclizine or Dimenhydrinate) which are available without a doctors prescription is most places and a small patch of Scopolamine which is RX only in the US. Which is best depends on your child.

I'd take the 460$ and spend it on cabs instead.
Old Jul 17, 16, 12:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
I've just arrived at the airport from Soufriere (40 minutes) and had a very good driver. Super comfortable van with strong air conditioning, which is helpful if car sickness is a problem. Leonard's Taxi Service. Happy to pm you his email and phone number.
Old Sep 2, 16, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill View Post
I've just arrived at the airport from Soufriere (40 minutes) and had a very good driver. Super comfortable van with strong air conditioning, which is helpful if car sickness is a problem. Leonard's Taxi Service. Happy to pm you his email and phone number.
Could you tell me what the cost of the transfer was?
Old Sep 2, 16, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Could you tell me what the cost of the transfer was?
Sorry to say I don't know. It was paid for by my host.

Search this Thread