First time going to the Caribbean

Old Feb 15, 16, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

First time going to the Caribbean

Hello! I'm interested in spending a few days in the Caribbean in August/September with my husband and a couple of other people. We're in our mid-twenties and trying to keep a small budget.

I've traveled a few places but never been to the Caribbean before....any recommendations for all-inclusive resorts that's not over the budget?

I'm also really interested in Cuba now that the US lifted some restrictions. Can anyone share their experience with me?
Old Feb 16, 16, 5:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by Jan92 View Post
I'm also really interested in Cuba now that the US lifted some restrictions. Can anyone share their experience with me?
Americans still can't go to Cuba simply as a tourist to just bask on the beach. It would be very difficult for you to obtain the necessary licensing. Best to go with a licensed tour operator, official school/alumni program, educational/cultural/medical organization with a purpose that fits within the guidelines.

This article will give you some insight into what you need to know to travel to Cuba:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/travel/cuba-vacations.html

Regarding the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, be sure you have valid passports, or go to Puerto Rico if everyone doesn't have them.
Old Feb 16, 16, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill View Post
Americans still can't go to Cuba simply as a tourist to just bask on the beach. It would be very difficult for you to obtain the necessary licensing. Best to go with a licensed tour operator, official school/alumni program, educational/cultural/medical organization with a purpose that fits within the guidelines.

This article will give you some insight into what you need to know to travel to Cuba:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/tr...vacations.html

Regarding the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, be sure you have valid passports, or go to Puerto Rico if everyone doesn't have them.
I second the Cuba comment, and I bet when they start flying it wont be budget friendly, numerous people will like to go. As Caribbean getaways, Mexico and Dominican Republic will be the most economical across the the board. Cancun, Cozumel in Mexico do offer some reasonable all inclusive vacations. Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic as well. Bahamas is good as well, but a little more expensive. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico but I do not think they offer all inclusive and it is pricey. I suggest just go to some third party travel sites, such as expedia, orbitz, hotwire. Search for all inclusive hotels and start pricing them on the dates you are thinking of going and look at cost just to start getting an idea.
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:55 am

August and September are the worst possible months for the Caribbean as it's right in the middle of the hurricane season and it's usually wet and windy even if a hurricane doesn't happen. It might be cheaper then, and that's why. Many resorts close.
Old Feb 19, 16, 3:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
August and September are the worst possible months for the Caribbean as it's right in the middle of the hurricane season and it's usually wet and windy even if a hurricane doesn't happen. It might be cheaper then, and that's why. Many resorts close.
Agreed. I have friends who have spent most of a week in Punta Cana in their rooms or inside the resort because of the weather.

As alternatives the OP may want to look at Aruba (well south of the usual hurricane tracks) or the pacific coast of Mexico (Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, etc).

Last edited by cheltzel; Feb 19, 16 at 9:41 am
Old Feb 19, 16, 8:45 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
If weather is a consideration, Aruba. No storm season etc. can just about be guaranteed good weather.
Plenty of all inclusive resorts on the beach

Search this Thread