Gaspar Grande access

Old Jan 5, 16, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Gaspar Grande access

Greetings, all.

I'm planning a solo visit to Trinidad (my first time there) at the end of this month. I'll have just two (full) days on the ground - had planned a third, but there was a schedule chAAnge, and with work commitments at home, this is what I'm left with.

At any rate, from what I can see online, Gaspar Grande (an island off Trinidad) has some amazing cave hiking. What I can't seem to find is information on reaching the island - does anybody have insight into this? Does one need to book in advance? What is the cost? Does one just turn up, and if so, where and when?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 16, 2:44 pm

I'll ask around for a guide, but a good first stop will be the Trinidad & Tobago Field Naturalists at http://ttfnc.org
Old Jan 5, 16, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chaguaramas Development Authority manages the cave.
http://chaguaramas.com/things-to-do/hiking
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:06 am

My contact, who is a former CDA employee, says that you should call them at 868-225-4232. Ask for Mervyn - he's the tour guide

Enjoy your stay!
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
My contact, who is a former CDA employee, says that you should call them at 868-225-4232. Ask for Mervyn - he's the tour guide

Enjoy your stay!
This is very helpful - thank you, peter1962!

Before I call, though, I'd like to understand - does this same outfit provide both boat transportation and cave tours, or is it more complicated than that?
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:53 pm

They will provide both transportation and tour. The Authority is the equivalent of a US National Park Service.

Search this Thread