Puerto Rico next week.

Old Dec 20, 15, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Puerto Rico next week.

Hey guys,

We are going to PR for 4 full days and were wondering the best itinerary. We are staying at a condo in Cuardado from HomeAway and rented a car. We were thinking of obviously checking out Old San Juan, going down to the rainforest, and we were also thinking about doing a Bioluminescent kayak trip and a snorkeling trip at Culebra. However, as far as culebra, I heard its a pain getting tickets for the ferry.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Good itinerary for 4 days? I definitely want to get a snorkeling in one day. What do you guys think of Culbera and Bioluminescent bay? Is there any other places you would recommend? I heard there are a lot of secret beaches and waterfalls/swimming holes, I would love to check that out.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 21, 15, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut View Post
Hey guys,

We are going to PR for 4 full days and were wondering the best itinerary. We are staying at a condo in Cuardado from HomeAway and rented a car. We were thinking of obviously checking out Old San Juan, going down to the rainforest, and we were also thinking about doing a Bioluminescent kayak trip and a snorkeling trip at Culebra. However, as far as culebra, I heard its a pain getting tickets for the ferry.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Good itinerary for 4 days? I definitely want to get a snorkeling in one day. What do you guys think of Culbera and Bioluminescent bay? Is there any other places you would recommend? I heard there are a lot of secret beaches and waterfalls/swimming holes, I would love to check that out.

Thanks for all your help!
You can do a biolum bay kayak tour in Fajardo (where the El Conquistador Resort is). You could actually head there early afternoon, get a meal, relax a bit, then head to the biobay tour. This seems easier than doing the Culebra one on such a short trip that you have.

El Yunque rainforest is mandatory and I would do the La Mina Waterfall hike. Wear your bathing suits so you can jump in water. It feels so pure it's really amazing. This can be done in half a day.

Old San Juan is great. Make sure to do the El Morro Fort.

You can also stop by the Bacardi Rum Factory and get a tour. They also have a bar and will make you drinks.

As far as food goes, the 2 beat meals I had in San Juan were:

Bagua
Oceano

Oceano is very easy to find along Ashford Avenue in between some of the big resorts like the Marriott and La Concha. Bagua is a little more out of the way but still not bad. Both are delish. For Oceano try to go earlier in the afternoon so you can get a beachfront view while you dine.
Old Dec 21, 15, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
You can do a biolum bay kayak tour in Fajardo (where the El Conquistador Resort is). You could actually head there early afternoon, get a meal, relax a bit, then head to the biobay tour. This seems easier than doing the Culebra one on such a short trip that you have.

El Yunque rainforest is mandatory and I would do the La Mina Waterfall hike. Wear your bathing suits so you can jump in water. It feels so pure it's really amazing. This can be done in half a day.

Old San Juan is great. Make sure to do the El Morro Fort.

You can also stop by the Bacardi Rum Factory and get a tour. They also have a bar and will make you drinks.

As far as food goes, the 2 beat meals I had in San Juan were:

Bagua
Oceano

Oceano is very easy to find along Ashford Avenue in between some of the big resorts like the Marriott and La Concha. Bagua is a little more out of the way but still not bad. Both are delish. For Oceano try to go earlier in the afternoon so you can get a beachfront view while you dine.
Thanks for your response! Do you think Culebra will be hard due to time constraint or getting tickets on a ferry? If we get there at 8/7 am do you think it will be possible to get the tickets to Culebra? Also, are there any places you would recommend to Snorkel besides Culebra?

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 15, 12:44 am
Suspended

Thanks for your response! Do you think Culebra will be hard due to time constraint or getting tickets on a ferry? If we get there at 8/7 am do you think it will be possible to get the tickets to Culebra? Also, are there any places you would recommend to Snorkel besides Culebra?

Thanks!
It's just you only have 4 days and Culebra will eat up a whole day. Look at everything you want to do, everything you can do, and then make a decision if you're okay giving up a day. If you insist on going, I would fly to Culebra as it's a very short easy flight. If you wait for the ferry, not only is it an hour long, but there is a good chance that people (locals) will cut in front of you to get on the ferry which means you may have to wait for the next one.

There are several spots for snorkeling but almost all of them are fairly remote and I don't think it makes sense for someone with your time constraints. Fajardo has excellent snorkeling, near the Seven Seas Public Beach. Also try this: Las Cabezas de San Juan nature refuge.

Keep in mind that PR can have very strong rip tides. If conditions are like that, you need to assess whether you have the skill to do this.
Old Dec 22, 15, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are into astronomy, you can visit the Arecibo Observatory in combination with Rio Camuy cave.
Old Dec 24, 15, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Do you guys think I need a tour for the rainforest or would it be sufficient to just drive there and find some good hikes?

I also heard there are a few hidden beaches that are on another end of a few mile hike. I heard these beaches are beautiful and secluded, any advice?
Old Dec 24, 15, 7:41 pm

Also having the Culebra debate for our trip. Thinking about doing a day snorkeling trip there instead of flying or using the ferry.

Something like this:

http://www.eastislandpr.com/culebra-snorkeling.html

Anyone done one?
Old Dec 25, 15, 10:00 am
Suspended

Thank you all for your input. Do you guys think I need a tour for the rainforest or would it be sufficient to just drive there and find some good hikes?

I also heard there are a few hidden beaches that are on another end of a few mile hike. I heard these beaches are beautiful and secluded, any advice?
I would do the tour. Driving up El Yunque is possible but somewhat stressful, especially if raining (which it does a lot at the peak). You should be able to book an El Yunque Tour with La Mina.

As far as beaches go, Luquillo Beach is close by to El Yuqnue and it's one of the best beaches. You can probably do a full day tour combining Luquillo + El Yuqnue w/ La Mina. I'm almost positive that I've seen these offered at the Marriott Stellaris.
Old Dec 25, 15, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I was born and raised in PR, but now live in Woodridge IL, ORD is now my home airport, and I travel to SJU around 5 times a year to see family. Since you are staying in Condado area, I can also suggest eating at The Place Bar & Grill, it is close to where you are at. Snorkeling in PR is not that accessible, most of the public beaches are not that great for it, the few spots are a bit remote and off the beaten path, with your short time frame, it migth take time away. Culebra is great, but the ferry is a hazzle, if you really want to go to Culebra, it is best to fly there. From where you are, you could fly out via Isla Grande airport, or drive to Ceiba airport. A one day roundtrip can cost around $100 or so, I've actually done it, leave at 8am, and return by 6pm, once in Culebra there is a shared taxi service from airport to beach, around $4 or so per person per trip.

One of my favorite places to hang around is in Pinones, http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/the.../p/Pinones.htm
There are some remote isolated beaches in there, good local food, I always go to A DONDE OLGA, it is about a minute drive as soon as you pass the bridge. You could do this as a day trip.

Another suggestion I can offer is to stop by a local panaderia, or bakeries. This is where we locally eat breakfast, Kasalta is close by. http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bake...2C+Puerto+Rico

The rainforrest is great, but wear comfortable shoes, and swin suit. Also stop by the local kiosk for food once there, http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/luquillo-kiosks/

If you like pork, roast pig, a trip to a lechonera would be good, but they are only open on the weekends. http://english.zeepuertorico.com/art...k-highway.aspx With the xmas holiday, they will be packed, as families tend to go there a lot during this time.

Enjoy, feel free to PM, too bad we haven't meet before, I could offer other suggestions since we are both locals.

Last edited by arollins; Dec 25, 15 at 7:59 pm
Old Dec 25, 15, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I forgot to add that the rainforrest is an easy drive. There are marked trails, you park the car and take the trail, I do not recomend a guided tour as you can do this on your own. The longest trail is going to Mt. Britton, http://elyunque.com/Mt_Britton.htm a bit of hike, about 45 minutes or so.

Search this Thread