Wiki Posts
Search

help me pick the right island

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
help me pick the right island

We are looking for a a winter get away sometime around Feb.

About us: Married no kids in our 40's. We prefer a more laid back place. No interest in partying/disco's or shopping. We have already been to Anguilla, Cancun, Jamaica, and St Martin. We would like to try a new place, but of all the places mentioned above Anguilla was by far our favorite, because it had drop dead gorgeous white sand beaches, a laid back vibe with few people, and tons of incredible food options.

Having said all that in my own research points to T&C a match. I also think the Virgin Islands might work for us. This trip we are trying to save a little money as we have 2 weeks in Kauai in Sept already booked for 2016, so we are looking to see if we can find a good deal on a 4* hotel. We would be flying out of BNA. We have status with both Marriott and SPG but or not looking to stay there unless it is really a great property, or great deal, and from what i have seen outside of a couple of the St Regis (which are a little too much for this trip I don't see any SPG that looks decent except maybe the Westin on Grand Cayman ). Thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Dec 7, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:22 am

We're also a couple in our forties without kids that like to travel. In the Caribbean we've been to Jamaica, Mayan Riviera, Cuba, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua.

Antigua was our favourite island, followed by Barbados. Antigua was just big enough to see everything in about 10 days (we had a rental car) and we took a side trip to the island of Montserrat (you can also visit Barbuda for a day if you prefer that).
Nice beaches, good food and friendly people!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:00 am

I think you should really consider Barbados and more specifically the Crane Resort. I spent time there last year with my wife. I think it's more the pace that you would be looking for.

The resort is located on the Crane beach and it's a little more of quiet, slower paced resort. Great hospitality and great historical rooms. Friendly staff. Not a lot of partying.

Just a beautiful beach, friendly staff and beautiful accommodations.

http://thecrane.com/About-The-Crane/Crane-Beach/
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Hmm had not thought about Barbados but I have to admit I am interested now. Good find! I am going to look into the Crane a bit more
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:06 am

I'll chime in about T&C and the Virgin Islands.

Provo, T&C has the same style and quality of beaches (for the most part) as Anguilla. Provo is a lot bigger and the interior reminds me of Florida. Sections of Grace Bay are really built up but there is lots of quiet areas on Grace Bay Beach and other parts of Provo to be found. There was talk of a JW Marriott being developed on Grace Bay beach but I haven't kept up with it. We thought the restaurants on Provo were very good. All food and drink in the T&C Islands is very expensive, far more so than typical resort destinations. Provo is easy to navigate in a rental car. The outer islands are very, very quiet.

We have visited the Virgin Islands for 20 years.

STJ is wonderful, stunning beaches and very quiet. However, because it is more than 2/3 national park, the beaches have zero development so if you are looking for the Anguilla style of on the beach chairs, dining and bar options, you won't find in on STJ. The Westin in STJ looks beautiful but I haven't stayed there, only visited the restaurants and dock area. The TA reviews are all over the place. If you are looking for a points stay, its your only option on STJ.

STT is a large island with lots of development. We have only stayed on STT on our way to STT. I would not recommend the Marriott on STT but I have heard very good things about the Ritz Carlton. The Ritz would make a good base to explore STT, STJ and the BVIs, which are easily reached by the ferry system.

I believe Scrub Island (BVI) is still a Marriott property and at one point, it was considered to be a very good choice for redeeming points.

I like the BVIs very much and we are returning for 3rd trip this February. I would say Virgin Gorda compares favorably to Anguilla in the sense its very quiet (more so than Anguilla) with similar vibe and economic environment. The beaches are pristine and uncrowded and lack the food/drink options of Anguilla. Its a bring your own chair and cooler to the beach type of island. (as it STJ)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
I'll chime in about T&C and the Virgin Islands.

Provo, T&C has the same style and quality of beaches (for the most part) as Anguilla. Provo is a lot bigger and the interior reminds me of Florida. Sections of Grace Bay are really built up but there is lots of quiet areas on Grace Bay Beach and other parts of Provo to be found. There was talk of a JW Marriott being developed on Grace Bay beach but I haven't kept up with it. We thought the restaurants on Provo were very good. All food and drink in the T&C Islands is very expensive, far more so than typical resort destinations. Provo is easy to navigate in a rental car. The outer islands are very, very quiet.

We have visited the Virgin Islands for 20 years.

STJ is wonderful, stunning beaches and very quiet. However, because it is more than 2/3 national park, the beaches have zero development so if you are looking for the Anguilla style of on the beach chairs, dining and bar options, you won't find in on STJ. The Westin in STJ looks beautiful but I haven't stayed there, only visited the restaurants and dock area. The TA reviews are all over the place. If you are looking for a points stay, its your only option on STJ.

STT is a large island with lots of development. We have only stayed on STT on our way to STT. I would not recommend the Marriott on STT but I have heard very good things about the Ritz Carlton. The Ritz would make a good base to explore STT, STJ and the BVIs, which are easily reached by the ferry system.

I believe Scrub Island (BVI) is still a Marriott property and at one point, it was considered to be a very good choice for redeeming points.

I like the BVIs very much and we are returning for 3rd trip this February. I would say Virgin Gorda compares favorably to Anguilla in the sense its very quiet (more so than Anguilla) with similar vibe and economic environment. The beaches are pristine and uncrowded and lack the food/drink options of Anguilla. Its a bring your own chair and cooler to the beach type of island. (as it STJ)
Thanks, lots of good info there. My sister stayed in Virgin Gorda a couple of years ago and they loved it. Are there any particular parts you like/dislike on T&C? We would like to avoid the really built up places, but i guess the trade off is those areas may be cheaper? Ideally we would want to stay right on a nice beach.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been to Barbados many times and have a time share unit at The Crane.
If OP decides on Barbados and specifically The Crane, post what you would like to know and I would be more than up to it to answer your questions.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
I have been to Barbados many times and have a time share unit at The Crane.
If OP decides on Barbados and specifically The Crane, post what you would like to know and I would be more than up to it to answer your questions.
The Crane interests me. How rough is the water during the winter months?

Concerning Provo, T&C - Twice we stayed on Grace Bay Beach, which is miles long. Once was in the area known as the Bight. We rented a house on the beach. The beach was nearly empty every day. Since that trip, a condo complex was build a couple of doors down the beach. I would not hesitate to stay in the same location again.

The second trip, we stayed much further east in the area of Ocean Club West -

http://www.turksandcaicosbeachfrontc...om/review.html

I don't know that one was better than the other in terms of crowds. We preferred the Bight location because of the snorkeling and the proximity to the marina.

Friends of ours rent over along Long Bay and they really love it because its so quiet. They are the type of stay put on vacation and cook it all the time.

This map shows the beach locations -

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/tc/prmap.shtml

Grace Bay Beach has so many options for staying right on the beach from nice little hotel/resorts with a handful of rooms, private homes, condo developments in a variety of sizes, etc. Its been 5 years since our last trip so I don't have recent experience on which sections are "too" built up.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
I visit compass cay by boat in Exuma's 2-3x a year. It's my favorite place on earth. They've got villas you can rent that include use of their dingy to island hop on your own. They can arrange transport from the airport - you can only get there by boat. Very private, spotty wifi, completely unconnected from the world if you are looking for that type of trip.

If you need more to do, check out Staniel Cay and the surrounding areas.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:02 pm

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos islands Direct Flights Per Week From North America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.