car rental in STT - st johns

Old Jul 9, 15, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

car rental in STT - st johns

need some options where i can rent a car for a week.
We are flying into STT and staying for 3 days then heading to St john for another 4 days and then back to STT to fly back to mainland.

Any recommendation on car rental companies?

thanks
Old Jul 9, 15, 12:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
I used Avis and had no problems. Make sure you have an existing reservation since they showed no cars available both when I picked up and dropped off. The cars are located across the street from the terminal and you just pick up the keys and take your suitcase over. I pre-booked and paid in advance. There is a set of stairs which are a bit of a pain if you have a big bag. The same goes for the drop off -- you refill the car and drop off the keys and they email you the receipt unless you want to try and wait (there's usually a line of people). The ladies at the counter are sweeties. Remember they drive on the left over there.
Old Jul 9, 15, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cacic View Post
I used Avis and had no problems. Make sure you have an existing reservation since they showed no cars available both when I picked up and dropped off. The cars are located across the street from the terminal and you just pick up the keys and take your suitcase over. I pre-booked and paid in advance. There is a set of stairs which are a bit of a pain if you have a big bag. The same goes for the drop off -- you refill the car and drop off the keys and they email you the receipt unless you want to try and wait (there's usually a line of people). The ladies at the counter are sweeties. Remember they drive on the left over there.

thanks, so far i looked at avis and hertz ( got membership there) and they are about the same price. Do you know if its ok with either companies to take a sedan on the fairy to St Johns? can't remember which company but not all rental companies allow cars to go on the fairy? is that correct?
Old Jul 10, 15, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
You can bring any car you want on the ferry to STJ. Some rental companies say they don't allow it, but I never have issues doing so. If there is damage, that is another issue, but you can do what you want
Old Jul 11, 15, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 View Post
You can bring any car you want on the ferry to STJ. Some rental companies say they don't allow it, but I never have issues doing so. If there is damage, that is another issue, but you can do what you want
i see, i booked with Avis and i plan to use my united explorer card as it covers primary coverage. i also have the premium car insurance with my amex but that comes with 25 dollars a trip and i think both amex and the explorer card are comparable.

any other tips ? we will be landing at 930 but it seems the office is open as i indicated a 10 pm pick up time. i guess i am little nervous about driving on the left side but i think if i am careful and drive cautiously initially i'll be fine.

thanks again
Old Jul 11, 15, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
I'm currently in a very similar situation. In St Thomas now and just back from 3 days in St Johns. We rented from Avis -prepaid - so simply picked up the car and headed to RedHook to catch the Ferry. I will say that 90% of the rentals on St John's are Jeeps - mostly the 4 door unlimited model which is what we had. The roads there are a little rough compared to St Thomas but nothing that would require a jeep. Well other that the dirt road GPS took us on to the Salt Pond. That one was pretty bad. We took the highway back and ignored the Apple Maps!

And, I wouldn't waste your time going all the way over to the salt pond. Trunk Bay, Cinamon Bay and Jumbi beache were our favorite spots. Check out the Landings for breakfast right across from the walk on ferry and the Banana Deck for dinner. Also Ronnies Pizza was fantastic for a quick lunch. We stopped at the supermarket just outside of RedHook for snacks and other food items. Much less expensive than St John's. There is also a Kmart on the way that has a fairly wide grocery section for dry goods and also has cheap beach items we don't mind leaving behind when done with them. Chairs, cooler, beach toys, etc...

Enjoy your trip and driving on the left side doesn't take long to get used to on the roads, it's the darn parking lots that give me fits.
Old Jul 13, 15, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this information ! very good insight to our upcoming trip.
we will try not to go on dirt roads as we only have a sedan !

i don't like apple maps , i usually use google maps.

Originally Posted by crp5 View Post
I'm currently in a very similar situation. In St Thomas now and just back from 3 days in St Johns. We rented from Avis -prepaid - so simply picked up the car and headed to RedHook to catch the Ferry. I will say that 90% of the rentals on St John's are Jeeps - mostly the 4 door unlimited model which is what we had. The roads there are a little rough compared to St Thomas but nothing that would require a jeep. Well other that the dirt road GPS took us on to the Salt Pond. That one was pretty bad. We took the highway back and ignored the Apple Maps!

And, I wouldn't waste your time going all the way over to the salt pond. Trunk Bay, Cinamon Bay and Jumbi beache were our favorite spots. Check out the Landings for breakfast right across from the walk on ferry and the Banana Deck for dinner. Also Ronnies Pizza was fantastic for a quick lunch. We stopped at the supermarket just outside of RedHook for snacks and other food items. Much less expensive than St John's. There is also a Kmart on the way that has a fairly wide grocery section for dry goods and also has cheap beach items we don't mind leaving behind when done with them. Chairs, cooler, beach toys, etc...

Enjoy your trip and driving on the left side doesn't take long to get used to on the roads, it's the darn parking lots that give me fits.
Old Jul 13, 15, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
And, I wouldn't waste your time going all the way over to the salt pond.
If you went all the way out to Salt Pond, you missed out on a great hike out to the Ram Head. And yes, the Salt Pond smells rancid.
Old Jul 14, 15, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie View Post
If you went all the way out to Salt Pond, you missed out on a great hike out to the Ram Head. And yes, the Salt Pond smells rancid.
thanks ! that might be ok if we don't go if its too far ..we don't plan to do alot of hiking since Mrs JordanDawg is pregnent and about 4 months. We are probably going to fine a few nice beaches and relax and swim. It will all dependent on how much energy she has and such !
Old Jul 17, 15, 7:45 pm

Car Rental

Avis and Budget at the airport allow you to take cars to St. John--Hertz does not. Dependable Car rental will meet you at the airport and allows their cars to go to St. John.
If you rent from a company that does not allow cars to St. John---you are on your own if you have any problems.
As someone who has owned a second home on St. John for 35 years--I would always recommend an all wheel drive vehicle. If it rains--some of the hills are dangerous w/o all wheel drive---I have seen many accidents over the years from this naivite.
Old Jul 19, 15, 10:27 am

Btw - if you hit trunk bay and snorkel do the snorkel path but then come back across the bay to the beach. There are two life guard stations as you walk out from the parking lot. About 125 feet off shore in between the two stations is a large round coral "Boulder" with a cut in shelf at the bottom of the right side ( looking at beach from the bay) A ~5' nurse shark hangs out there in the late morning / early afternoon. That made my boys entire trip. The floor is about 15' down but you can easily dive down to get close. My boys loved it...and I thought it was pretty cool also. There is nothing else around it for about 60 feet so if you don't see it at first just keep circling the area until you do.
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sugarbird View Post
Avis and Budget at the airport allow you to take cars to St. John--Hertz does not. Dependable Car rental will meet you at the airport and allows their cars to go to St. John.
If you rent from a company that does not allow cars to St. John---you are on your own if you have any problems.
As someone who has owned a second home on St. John for 35 years--I would always recommend an all wheel drive vehicle. If it rains--some of the hills are dangerous w/o all wheel drive---I have seen many accidents over the years from this naivite.
Thank you for the advise ! we just got back and rented from Avis and it didn't rain while we were there at all, just a small sprinkler one day. good advise about the all wheel drive i can see why its important especially if its on a rainy roads . Maybe next time we will do that !
Old Aug 9, 15, 9:06 pm

Quick update - don't waste your time at the "Pie Whole" pizzeria on St Thomas. We stopped in one afternoon for a medium pie and 4 cokes - $25 plus a $7.50 tip. FF to today - got our Amex bill and they took the liberty of rounding the tip up to $75.00 for a $100 total. I have filed a fraud claim with AMEX to dispute the charge - glad I kept my copy of the receipt.
Old Aug 11, 15, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Quick update - don't waste your time at the "Pie Whole" pizzeria on St Thomas. We stopped in one afternoon for a medium pie and 4 cokes - $25 plus a $7.50 tip. FF to today - got our Amex bill and they took the liberty of rounding the tip up to $75.00 for a $100 total. I have filed a fraud claim with AMEX to dispute the charge - glad I kept my copy of the receipt.
not sure if it was done on purpose but it could have been 'fat fingered'. glad you kept your receipt ! Amex is usually good about this kind of stuff and will be on your side.

Search this Thread