FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico-474/)
-   -   Antigua currency: US$ or EC$ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico/1692206-antigua-currency-us-ec.html)

scmd76 Jul 3, 2015 4:35 am

Antigua currency: US$ or EC$

Hi,

I apologise if this question has been asked before, but I'm off to Antigua (from London) next Friday for a week's holiday and I'm not sure if it's best to take US$ or EC$.

I know that both are accepted and that if you pay with US$ you get any change back in EC$, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Clint Bint Jul 4, 2015 1:24 am

Originally Posted by scmd76 (Post 25063705)
Hi,

I apologise if this question has been asked before, but I'm off to Antigua (from London) next Friday for a week's holiday and I'm not sure if it's best to take US$ or EC$.

I know that both are accepted and that if you pay with US$ you get any change back in EC$, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

It makes no difference.The two currencies are pegged and equally acceptable.You won't get any better deal offering US$. However,if you don't spend all your currency it's probably better returning with US$ Enjoy Antigua - it's a great island.

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Jul 4, 2015 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint (Post 25067306)
It makes no difference.The two currencies are pegged and equally acceptable.You won't get any better deal offering US$. However,if you don't spend all your currency it's probably better returning with US$ Enjoy Antigua - it's a great island.

+1
I agree completely. Take US$ with you, as it is certainly cheaper to buy USD than XCD in the UK. Just make sure you have sufficient smaller bills of $20 and below. $100 notes are accepted, but cab drivers and small shops may not be able to make change.
--
13F

MoreMilesPlease Jul 4, 2015 7:09 am

I am not sure how it is in the UK but in the US it is easier and cheaper just to wait till you get there and pull money from a cash machine.

I have accounts that will let me use any ATM and reimburse me for any ATM charges. It is usually much cheaper than buying currency at home. Of course, if you are wanting to use US dollars then this probably won't work, unless the local machines give a choice of currency.

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Jul 5, 2015 5:40 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease (Post 25067987)
I am not sure how it is in the UK but in the US it is easier and cheaper just to wait till you get there and pull money from a cash machine.

I have accounts that will let me use any ATM and reimburse me for any ATM charges. It is usually much cheaper than buying currency at home. Of course, if you are wanting to use US dollars then this probably won't work, unless the local machines give a choice of currency.

There is an ATM at the airport. Turn right after you exit the customs hall.
--
13F