FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico-474/)
-   -   San Juan PR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico/1681217-san-juan-pr.html)

BG002 May 19, 2015 4:27 pm

San Juan PR

I am ready to book our trip to PR but I was wondering how I should book it. Should I use a travel agent (free due to my husband's job), book separately through different sites (using a military discount for the hotel), or through a site like Hotwire or Expedia? Does anyone have any recommendations on a hotel in PR?

mkt May 19, 2015 5:07 pm

What neighborhood?

Alex613 May 20, 2015 9:51 am

Wow, you have so many options here it’s hard to know where to begin! Keep in mind that in these sorts of cases the Internet is your friend, and will most likely be cheaper then a travel agent.

Before booking anything make sure to do your research and shop around. One site I like to check out is Hipmunk, they have great city guides and talk about accommodation options, here’s a link for San Juan https://www.hipmunk.com/Hotels-in-San-Juan-Puerto-Rico.

You could look into a packaged holiday, where everything is included and taken care of, possibly even the meals. Or, what I suggest is to do a little research and leg work, and put together a package that suits your exact needs, this is the approach I take and usually save money.

Think about the price you want to pay, where you want to stay, what you want to do, and then start piecing it together. Start by choosing your area you would like find a hotel in. Here is an article by AOL about the safety of different neighborhoods in San Juan http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/0...s-in-san-juan/.

You can look into a resort, a simple hotel, a cheap guesthouse, or even an Airbnb. Look at multiple flight carriers and play with the dates a bit if you have that option, as flying midweek can sometimes save a huge amount on the tickets.

BG002 May 20, 2015 6:06 pm

I had heard great things about Old San Juan from a woman my mother works with and booked there (it also happens to be on the safe list that Alex613 provided). I found an amazing deal with the Sheraton in Old San Juan and could not pass it up. However, I feel as though I am having buyer's remorse already. We were really hoping for beach time that we don't have to walk too far for, great places to eat (more like dives than chains), and a pool. I read the pool is small which is not a deal breaker but I cannot figure out how close the nearest beach is which would definitely be a deal breaker. The Sheraton ended up being the cheapest deal with a 55% discount and around $300 total less than most other hotels. Not sure what to do.

arollins May 21, 2015 3:56 am

Originally Posted by BG002 (Post 24846629)
I had heard great things about Old San Juan from a woman my mother works with and booked there (it also happens to be on the safe list that Alex613 provided). I found an amazing deal with the Sheraton in Old San Juan and could not pass it up. However, I feel as though I am having buyer's remorse already. We were really hoping for beach time that we don't have to walk too far for, great places to eat (more like dives than chains), and a pool. I read the pool is small which is not a deal breaker but I cannot figure out how close the nearest beach is which would definitely be a deal breaker. The Sheraton ended up being the cheapest deal with a 55% discount and around $300 total less than most other hotels. Not sure what to do.

If you want beach access, Old San Juan is not the place to go, the nearest beach from your hotel is El Escambron. For beach access area in the metro area try Isla Verde, or Condado area. However, Old San Juan does offer sightseeing, and non-chain restaurants all within walking distance. My suggestion is either public transit to the beach locale, or get a rental car. There is also more to Puerto Rico than the metro area.

bgriz18 May 22, 2015 7:09 am

I suggest the Conadado or Isle Verde area as well for beaches. There is still some local flavor restaurants in these areas and it really isn't too far from Old San Juan. I visited all the sites I wanted to in Old San Juan in 1 day.

Stayed at the Intercontinental in Isle Verde and really enjoyed it. Right on the beach and you can walk to a bunch of restaurants and there are convenience stores nearby too.

akcae Oct 30, 2015 10:39 am

How available is transportation from SJU to Condado or other areas with hotels? I have a late flight that gets in around 1am and none of the hotels I checked seem to have an airport shuttle. Am I wrong assuming that getting a cab will be reasonably easy at the airport, even at that hour?

wrp96 Oct 30, 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 25638630)
How available is transportation from SJU to Condado or other areas with hotels? I have a late flight that gets in around 1am and none of the hotels I checked seem to have an airport shuttle. Am I wrong assuming that getting a cab will be reasonably easy at the airport, even at that hour?

Cabs are readily available at SJU, even at that hour. Rates are flat fees set by zone, with an additional charge per bag. When you get to the front of the taxi line, they will ask your destination, write it down including the rate and give you that to give your driver.

akcae Oct 30, 2015 10:51 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 25638646)
Cabs are readily available at SJU, even at that hour. Rates are flat fees set by zone, with an additional charge per bag. When you get to the front of the taxi line, they will ask your destination, write it down including the rate and give you that to give your driver.

Awesome thanks!

This helps expand my search perimeter. Any idea of order of magnitude of taxi rates? And if they're cash only?

mkt Oct 30, 2015 11:07 am

I sugggest you bring cash. Even if they take cards, they may not "take" cards. Taxis in PR are effectively a mafia, and they are terrible.

Here's the airport price list: http://aeropuertosju.com/wp-content/...Taxi%20WOC.pdf

akcae Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 25638797)
I sugggest you bring cash. Even if they take cards, they may not "take" cards. Taxis in PR are effectively a mafia, and they are terrible.

Here's the airport price list: http://aeropuertosju.com/wp-content/...Taxi%20WOC.pdf

Perfect, thank you!^

LindaTerrill Oct 31, 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by BG002 (Post 24840723)
I am ready to book our trip to PR but I was wondering how I should book it. Should I use a travel agent (free due to my husband's job), book separately through different sites (using a military discount for the hotel), or through a site like Hotwire or Expedia? Does anyone have any recommendations on a hotel in PR?

Consider the W Retreat and Spa on Vieques Island for part of your vacation. It will give you a different experience than on the main island. Book through a Virtuoso travel agent (there's no charge for the service with many Virtuoso agents) to receive complimentary benefits of full breakfast daily, upgrade on arrival if available, and a $100 food and beverage credit.

Photos: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=3170

The island has secluded beaches and one of the brightest bioluminescent bays in the world. This is a trendy boutique hotel and is a great option for 20 and 30 somethings, as well as families enjoy it.

bchandler02 Oct 31, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 25638711)
Awesome thanks!

This helps expand my search perimeter. Any idea of order of magnitude of taxi rates? And if they're cash only?

SJU to Condado is usually around 20-25, but I think there is a late night surcharge if I remember correctly. I'd estimate 30 to be safe. It's about a 20 minute ride.

The process that someone else mentioned is correct. Collect your bags and head outside. Someone will write down your destination (and tell you the price). Give this slip to your driver.. it's a really simple process.

JudyBlueEyes Nov 13, 2015 1:12 pm

How are you doing on your planning? My husband and I love the Isla Verde area for its beach, shops, and restaurants. Twice we rented apartments in buildings right next to the major hotels and got more space for less money. If you pick a hotel, make sure it's on the beach rather than across the road from the beach if you crave a view.

headinclouds Dec 9, 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 25638646)

Taxi related question. I looked at the 'official chart' and wonder why there is a $2 gas surcharge. Gas prices are way down compared to a year ago. It is nice that the rates are fixed, but $12 to travel 2 miles to the Isla Verde area? I don't mind an airport premium, but I take umbrage at rip-offs. I might gamble for 30 or 40 minutes waiting for the bus. Or can you walk to Isla Verde area? I'll only be in SJU for 18 hours doing a MR, so saving $20 in cab fares will buy some nice local food.