Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Dominican Republic / Punta Cana - all inclusive recommendations please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dominican Republic / Punta Cana - all inclusive recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:31 pm

Well I found a great deal on Costco for the Iberostar Grand so I’ll probably head there
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
My wife and I stayed at The Level Melia just before the pandemic hit. We loved the rooms, amenities as well as the food and beverage service. It is smaller and more intimate than the Iberostar Grands that we have visited (Playa del Carmen and Jamaica) but the rooms, facilities as well as the food/beverage were very nice. Overall we thought it a much better value than the Iberostar Grand. I've checked their rates and they seem to be very competitive for what you get..
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
My wife and I stayed at The Level Melia just before the pandemic hit. We loved the rooms, amenities as well as the food and beverage service. It is smaller and more intimate than the Iberostar Grands that we have visited (Playa del Carmen and Jamaica) but the rooms, facilities as well as the food/beverage were very nice. Overall we thought it a much better value than the Iberostar Grand. I've checked their rates and they seem to be very competitive for what you get..
Thanks

I will say the Grand in Punta Cana is dramatically smaller than the one in Mexico. I originally picked it due to it's small footprint when I was taking my 80 year old mother. (I did Jamaica once with another company but probably won't be back. I was turned off by the constant selling on the beach and the drug pushers everywhere we went, but that's just me. I did enjoy exploring the island but...)

Level does look promising. Price is actually about the same I will do some more research.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Thanks

I will say the Grand in Punta Cana is dramatically smaller than the one in Mexico. I originally picked it due to it's small footprint when I was taking my 80 year old mother. (I did Jamaica once with another company but probably won't be back. I was turned off by the constant selling on the beach and the drug pushers everywhere we went, but that's just me. I did enjoy exploring the island but...)

Level does look promising. Price is actually about the same I will do some more research.
I was checking the prices out on the Costco travel site for 1 week in November. Looking at an Ocean View Suite for both properties. The Iberostar Grand was $2958.93 and the Level was $2285.74

I would make sure to compare the room details. The Level suites are very spacious. You can still get the pushy beach vendors in Punta Cana, We have stayed at several of the better resorts and most have very good security on the beach itself.

Last edited by cheltzel; Apr 8, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:50 pm

I was checking the prices out on the Costco travel site for 1 week in November. Looking at an Ocean View Suite for both properties. The Iberostar Grand was $2958.93 and the Level was $2285.74

I would make sure to compare the room details. The Level suites are very spacious. You can still get the pushy beach vendors in Punta Cana, We have stayed at several of the better resorts and most have very good security on the beach itself.

well the price and I’m seeing actually goes the other way. It’s cheaper to stay at the grand

As for pushy vendors, yeah I’ve had lots of pushy vendors all over the world and Jamaica was not pushy they were abusive and rude. There’s a difference. I’ve been to the bazaar in turkey, I’m good at pushy vendors. I’m not going back to Jamaica
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Loved Secrets. Adults only. Small, every room is close to the beach/pools/restaurants. No need for golf carts. Long beach for miles in either direction.
No wristbands, no pushy touts on the beach, no staff cruising for tips. Great restaurants. Seaweed barrier, surprisingly proved very important on Bavaro beach.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:36 pm

So the June trip didn’t happen for a lot of reasons. We are now looking at an November trip right after Thanksgiving. I’m still leaning towards Iberostar grand but it is a little more expensive and looking at other options

Hyatt is out of the question. Their pricing is out of touch with reality and then they want to nickel and dime me on top of that! With their pricing there should not be a lot of extras charged in my opinion

I’m Titanium on Marriott which does make the Royalton resorts look appealing but overall reviews are not outstanding. The Hilton looks nice but I’d like to be closer to the airport so I’m probably not going there

Anyone got any feedback on the Mirage properties? Any others that look good recently. Adult only but not “frat party” is ideal.

Thanks

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Jul 24, 2022 at 9:09 pm
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
So the June trip didn’t happen for a lot of reasons. We are now looking at an November trip right after Thanksgiving. I’m still leaning towards Iberostar grand but it is a little more expensive and looking at other options

Hyatt is out of the question. Their pricing is out of touch with reality and then they want to nickel and dime me on top of that! With their pricing there should not be a lot of extras charged in my opinion

I’m Titanium on Marriott which does make the Royalton resorts look appealing but overall reviews are not outstanding. The Hilton looks nice but I’d like to be closer to the airport so I’m probably not going there

Anyone got any feedback on the Mirage properties? Any others that look good recently. Adult only but not “frat party” is ideal.

Thanks
Did you end up going? If so, what was your experience?

Will spend a few weeks in the island and we were inclined to book the Hilton again for a few days, but according to the latest reviews it seems that the quality declined. Hyatt is again out of the question, the cheapest room costs $799, not worth it.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Recent experiences

Good day FT,

Considering a one week all-inclusive in Punta Cana, not our typical vacation style, but sometimes simplicity is best.
Will be two of us, prefer adults only or an adults only section.
I despise having to hunt for a shady lounge chair or queue for anything, so will pay for a resort with a concierge type service.
Good food is important.
Ground level suite with a patio, so we can come and go and not feel shut in.

Please let me know of any good resorts, the room type or service level we should consider.
Any links to websites with unbiased and well informed reviews?
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by taupo
Good day FT,

Considering a one week all-inclusive in Punta Cana, not our typical vacation style, but sometimes simplicity is best.
Will be two of us, prefer adults only or an adults only section.
I despise having to hunt for a shady lounge chair or queue for anything, so will pay for a resort with a concierge type service.
Good food is important.
Ground level suite with a patio, so we can come and go and not feel shut in.

Please let me know of any good resorts, the room type or service level we should consider.
Any links to websites with unbiased and well informed reviews?
There are several places in Punta Cana that could be a good fit for your requirements. The only issue might be what you consider as good food. We've stayed at several all inclusive resorts in Punta Cana with very acceptable food. Well prepared, decent quality ingredients and tasty. But nothing compared to a Michelin star rated restaurant.

From my experience, I would recommend two resorts. In all transparency, we have not stayed in Punta Cana since before the pandemic. So please make sure to verify all the details of our experiences as things may have changed.

Our favorite place so far has been the Melia Level within the Meliá Punta Cana Beach Wellness Inclusive - Adults only resort. The Level is an exclusive resort within a resort. Private pools, private beach area, etc. Guests form other areas within the overall Melia resort complex are able to eat at the Level's restaurants but it requires an upcharge. Our experience was that we had no issues in any sort of crowding at the pool, at the beach or at a restaurant. And no children to be seen anywhere on the Level property itself. Meaning no children at the pool or the beach. We did not have to get up early in the morning and mark our territory with towels for a nice shady pool chair or beach chair. You can get a Level Suite on the ground floor, beachside for something like $3000 - $3500 USD for a high demand week (US school spring holiday week),

We have also stayed at Iberostar Grand resorts. Not the one in Punta Cana but in both the Riviera Maya in Mexico and the Rose Hall resort in Montego Bay Jamaica. Our experience at both was very similar and both were excellent resorts. The Iberostar Grand resorts are completely separate properties (sharing an larger aggregate campus with other Iberostar resorts). They are more exclusive and more private than the Melia. The food is also very good. The price for the same week I searched at the Melia as about double the cost of the Melia (around $7000) for a beach front ground floor suite. However I have done searches and the Iberostar Grand was the same as the Melia, so it will depend on your travel dates.

Iberostar is now an IHG brand so if you have status and points with IHG, you will probably get a lower rate. When we stayed at Iberostar Grand resorts, the service was the absolute best we had ever experienced. The higher end rooms come with a butler who doubles as your personal concierge (a service not available at the Melia).

We prefer the Melia because of the value and it is a bit smaller and felt more intimate. You can walk out your room, turn right and you are almost on the beach. Turn left and walk 10 - 20 meters and you are almost in the pool. But that was our personal experience and it fit our preferences and tastes.
taupo likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
There are several places in Punta Cana that could be a good fit for your requirements. The only issue might be what you consider as good food. We've stayed at several all inclusive resorts in Punta Cana with very acceptable food. Well prepared, decent quality ingredients and tasty. But nothing compared to a Michelin star rated restaurant.

From my experience, I would recommend two resorts. In all transparency, we have not stayed in Punta Cana since before the pandemic. So please make sure to verify all the details of our experiences as things may have changed.

Our favorite place so far has been the Melia Level within the Meliá Punta Cana Beach Wellness Inclusive - Adults only resort. The Level is an exclusive resort within a resort. Private pools, private beach area, etc. Guests form other areas within the overall Melia resort complex are able to eat at the Level's restaurants but it requires an upcharge. Our experience was that we had no issues in any sort of crowding at the pool, at the beach or at a restaurant. And no children to be seen anywhere on the Level property itself. Meaning no children at the pool or the beach. We did not have to get up early in the morning and mark our territory with towels for a nice shady pool chair or beach chair. You can get a Level Suite on the ground floor, beachside for something like $3000 - $3500 USD for a high demand week (US school spring holiday week),

We have also stayed at Iberostar Grand resorts. Not the one in Punta Cana but in both the Riviera Maya in Mexico and the Rose Hall resort in Montego Bay Jamaica. Our experience at both was very similar and both were excellent resorts. The Iberostar Grand resorts are completely separate properties (sharing an larger aggregate campus with other Iberostar resorts). They are more exclusive and more private than the Melia. The food is also very good. The price for the same week I searched at the Melia as about double the cost of the Melia (around $7000) for a beach front ground floor suite. However I have done searches and the Iberostar Grand was the same as the Melia, so it will depend on your travel dates.

Iberostar is now an IHG brand so if you have status and points with IHG, you will probably get a lower rate. When we stayed at Iberostar Grand resorts, the service was the absolute best we had ever experienced. The higher end rooms come with a butler who doubles as your personal concierge (a service not available at the Melia).

We prefer the Melia because of the value and it is a bit smaller and felt more intimate. You can walk out your room, turn right and you are almost on the beach. Turn left and walk 10 - 20 meters and you are almost in the pool. But that was our personal experience and it fit our preferences and tastes.
Thank you so much Cheltzel, will look into your suggestions
Old Aug 23, 2023, 7:15 am

If you have never been to that part of the Caribbean, avoid going during the hurricane season (August through mid October). Even if you avoid any serious storms, the climate is brutally hot and humid. I have friends who went for one week stays during that time and were hit by serious storms where they had to spend at least 3 days indoors with limited food/beverage service.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
We are contemplating a trip to Punta Cana and have been looking at the various options. We have narrowed it down to the Iberostar Selection Bavaro Suites or the Grand Palladium Palace and Resort Spa. Does anyone have any experience which they could share with either please. We are considering 5 nights in one of these hotels AI and then a further 5 nights at the new AC Hotel by Marriott. Not sure if the later is a good idea but would welcome any feedback.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:46 pm

I have been a loyal Iberostar fan for probably a couple of decades but based on the pricing I am seeing now I find it hard to recommend. But I would still recommend it over the Grand Palladium We really disliked that one.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I have been a loyal Iberostar fan for probably a couple of decades but based on the pricing I am seeing now I find it hard to recommend. But I would still recommend it over the Grand Palladium We really disliked that one.
Interesting as I'm seeing rates for September at under $150. Will have a deeper look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.