Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

First time to SXM, Maho beach and best hotel for family Jan 19-23

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier PLT, Hilton Honors, Diamond, Priority Club - Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hello everyone,

We are going to SXM for the first time. I would like to watch planes from Maho Beach but have read really bad reviews lately at the hotel there. What is the best hotel in SXM for families? ( ages 3, 8, 11) Looking at a higher end resort. Also is it possible to go to Maho Beach, and not be a hotel guest? (wasn't sure if it was a private beach or not). Also how is the snorkeling /diving?

Thanks!

Timelord.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:46 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'll take on one of your questions... Maho beach is a public beach, so feel free to go there without being a hotel guest

As far as lodging goes, I tend to rent an apartment on the French side, either in Oriental Bay or Oyster bay. The only time I've ever stayed on the Dutch side (where SXM/Maho Beach are) was in Burgeaux Bay, and I did see several families there.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Check out the Westin (see SPG forum). It gets a bad rap from old-schoolers because it is modern and a bit sanitized, and there are a few areas that might need a little sprucing up. And I think that a lot of people are expecting 5-star service wwhen they pay high-season room rates, and that just is not goingto happen in most places in the Caribban. But it has a huge pool area and a really good beach for the kids. And it is away from the crappy Dutch side, near Oyster Pond, so Orient Beach and Grand Case are within reach.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier PLT, Hilton Honors, Diamond, Priority Club - Platinum, SPG Platinum
diving, snorkeling?

Thanks for the info.. I was leaning to towards the Westin, or the Radisson Blu... wondering which was more kid friendly.. with activities for the kids...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I haven't stayed at the Radisson, although I believe that it is an older property that has been renovated fairly recently. My sense is that it is a notch below the Westin. There can be some waves on Dawn Beach (Westin)at certain times of the year, if that is a concern with young ones.

Both can be a great value using points, especially in the high winter season.

One caveat on Wewstin - - I have always travelled atlow season, and had at least SPG gold, so I have always been able to score a complimentary upgrade to one of the many oceanfront rooms (and oftentimes a suite), which makes a huge difference. I would not want to be in a standard room.

I've not been that impressed with snorkeling on SXM. For example, the reef on Dawn Beach is for the most part dead. I'm sure there are decent areas on the island, it depends on what you are comparing it to. SXM is basically just a stopping off point for me on the way to Anguilla, and I do my snorkelling there.

Last edited by cactuspete; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.