Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Your favorite things to do in St. Thomas & St. Martin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Jet Blue, Virgin, Delta, Southwest

Hi all, first time to post on FlyerTalk. My husband & I are taking a cruise with ports of call in St. Thomas & St. Maarten. We've heard that St. Maarten is just ok and that it's better to go to St. Martin for the straw market, better dining opportunities. Do you agree? Is it worth it to spend time at the Camille Pissaro home/museum? Do you have restaurant recommendations? We are the type that likes cultural stuff, we like to walk/stroll/dine - we don't like being a part of tour groups, don't golf, and enjoy just sitting in a cafe people watching, enjoying drinks and apps. We are in our late 40s. Also, if we take a taxi from port (Dutch side) to French side, Googlemaps shows 10 miles/15 minutes - what would be the average taxi fare? Thanks!
Old May 12, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
I would suggest Cruise Critic for your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BethACZ
Hi all, first time to post on FlyerTalk. My husband & I are taking a cruise with ports of call in St. Thomas & St. Maarten. We've heard that St. Maarten is just ok and that it's better to go to St. Martin for the straw market, better dining opportunities. Do you agree? Is it worth it to spend time at the Camille Pissaro home/museum? Do you have restaurant recommendations? We are the type that likes cultural stuff, we like to walk/stroll/dine - we don't like being a part of tour groups, don't golf, and enjoy just sitting in a cafe people watching, enjoying drinks and apps. We are in our late 40s. Also, if we take a taxi from port (Dutch side) to French side, Googlemaps shows 10 miles/15 minutes - what would be the average taxi fare? Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

There are some older SXM threads in this forum. Try searching "sunset" or "orient" in this forum.

SXM is easy to get around. Don't be afraid to rent a car for a day or two or three. Most hotels have a rental car desk and prices should be between $45 and $75 per day depending on the vehicle. Taxi from SXM airport to Philipsburg is $18-20 IIRC. From Philipsburg to Marigot, it should be $25. Taxi rates can be found here: http://taxistmaarten.com/images/files/Rate_Sheet.pdf
--
13F
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: skyteam, one-world, HHGold,Accord
I have been living in St. Martin for six years, I always tell my friends to stay at least one whole week here for vacation. French side is not that crowded as Dutch side as lots of the tourists come from cruise ship that only allows them to say just one day.
13F is right, drive by yourself is very easy, the island is not big and you won't get lost, just one main road and see around on a day that is also a pleasure trip and then make stop to Orient Baie (there are a few nice restauant in front of the nice beach, all are good food and good service. Or anywhere you want to try the food. People here are very nice to tell you the road and give you direction. Remember: Drive slowly, you will come across cows or goats on the road, even people make stop on the road and just say hello to the cars. This is an island - not a city life. But overall. But if your time is tight, hire a taxi and get info beforehand, know where you want to go and don't let them to bring you what they want, and choose your restaurant. Oh, if you can stay overnight, go dinner at Grande Case, they have very very good restaurants in the main street, walk along there, + Lolo (BBQ hawkers center, quite interesting). Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.