Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

4 hour stopover in San Juan - go into town?

Old May 31, 2012, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

On Sunday, July 8 I will have a 4 hour stopover in San Juan. Arriving from Grenada at 9:40 a.m. and then continuing on to Miami at 1:40 p.m. Both flights on American.

I have never been to San Juan and would like to see the old town. Is it feasible to grab a taxi in to the old town, walk around for an hour, and then a taxi back?

I will have a long weekend's worth of clothes with me, not sure if I will check a bag or carry it all on. If I check it, I'll have to stand around by bag claim in San Juan and then claim it and go through customs and then re-check it, right? How long will that take?

If I carry it all on the flight from Grenada to San Juan, then I would have to schlep it with me into town, right?

Is there a way for me to carry on the luggage from Grenada to San Juan, go through immigration, then store it at the airport or check it on to Miami, so that I don't have to bring it into town with me?

What are the waits normally like in San Juan for immigration, customs, and then getting back through security when I return to the airport?

Any relevant advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This is a bit iffy to do

4 hours is not much time, by the time you get out of the airport, get a cab and arrive at Old San Juan you've probably lost 45 minutes. Walk around a bit, quick bite to eat, quick sightseeing, should be about 2 hours. Get cab by the pier area, where the cruise ships sail from to return to airport will be anothe 30-45minute or so. Total time is 3.5 hours, and you still have to go through security, tsa, baggage screening. I wouldnt do it.

Sorry, do not know much on luggage storage, or if you can check your bag all the way.

Good luck.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
With 4 hrs to play with, it's doable, but you won't have a lot of extra time. If you check your bag in GND, you will collect it after immigration in SJU, before you exit the customs hall. When you exit Customs, there will be a bag drop on the right side and from that moment you are free of your bag. Turn to the left and follow the signs to exit the terminal. Immediately upon exit there will be a taxi kiosk. Prices are fixed.
--
13F

PS Old San Juan is lovely and well worth a visit.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks. How long should a taxi take into the Old Town and back on a Sunday morning/afternoon?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:38 am

If you plan on going into Old San Juan, I was told to stay away from the cemetery. Supposedly it is a gang area. I did not know when I was there and was told by local friends that it was a bad area.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:25 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
ouch. Sunday there WILL be traffic. 4 hours will not be enough.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
ouch. Sunday there WILL be traffic. 4 hours will not be enough.
I agree, sorry OP but San Juan can have some of the worst traffic you'll see and that seemingly short drive from the airport to Old San Juan can take over an hour (I've been in it far too many times!)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

How long is it likely to take to go to town from the airport? How long is it likely to take to get back to the airport?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jphripjah
How long is it likely to take to go to town from the airport? How long is it likely to take to get back to the airport?
Even with traffic the trip should not be more than 45 minutes. Also, the taxi driver can detour on side roads if the main highway to SJU is really backed up. As other posters have said your time will be limited. You might want to also consider Isle La Verde which is very near the airport. The main drag has a few shops and a number of places to grab food and a drink. Of course, remember July in PR will be really hot and there is no place to shower at SJU.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:48 am
mkt

A risky option:

If you tell the cab driver to drive fast, and to drop you off at Plaza Colón (at the entrance to Old San Juan), instead of in the heart of Old San Juan, you should be there in 30-45 minutes. The traffic within Old San Juan will be terrible.

Spend an hour in San Juan. No more.

As you're leaving, I suggest picking up a cab in Plaza Colon, where you were dropped off, and straight to the airport.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks. That's very good advice about Plaza Colon. I'll play it by ear. Obviously, if I'm significantly delayed on arrival or at immigration I'll just stay at the airport.

Should I expect long TSA security lines when I return to San Juan airport? Is there an expedited line for first class passengers?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:25 pm
mkt

There's an elite line on the AA side. TSA's generally not that long. I usually show up an hour beforehand and arrive at the gate with 10 minutes to spare. But I've been at the airport 30 minutes beforehand with BP in hand and have walked straight through security and onto the plane with the door shutting behind me.

Have your boarding pass with you just in case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.