Use Amex points for Atlantis, Bahamas

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Use Amex points for Atlantis, Bahamas

I have a friend who has a few of these spare but doesn't know how to check how many points are required.

Basically I wanted to use them for 3 nights at the Atlantis, Bahamas. Tried to check but it seems you need to be a member to see. Would anyone be kind enough to check how many points I would need to for 3 nights at the various hotel options in the Atlantis.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I don't believe it's necessary to have an account to see these results, 40-75,000 points per night:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...d%2C%20Bahamas
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I don't believe it's necessary to have an account of login to see these results, 40-75,000 points per night:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...d%2C%20Bahamas
Thanks and I am not sure which way I did it but it wouldn't let me do anything without logging in. That's a lot of points! Ouch! Makes more sense to just book a stay direct.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lallyr
...wouldn't let me do anything without logging in. That's a lot of points!
Those links and rates are from the USA Membership Rewards program. If your friend's points are in the Sterling version of MR the rates should be lower. I estimate in proportion to the UK/US exchange rate, but that is only a guess.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:37 pm

Or go elsewhere - Atlantis gets awful reviews (except by 12 and under crowd).
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Those links and rates are from the USA Membership Rewards program. If your friend's points are in the Sterling version of MR the rates should be lower. I estimate in proportion to the UK/US exchange rate, but that is only a guess.
He has US Amex. Anyway still a lot. Thank you for your help and quick replies ^

erik123 What resort would you recommend?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:41 am

Check the luxury hotels thread for suggestions in the Caribbean - The Cove at Atlantis and One and Only next door seem to rate highest (but still don't come close to other properties in the Caribbean).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Check the luxury hotels thread for suggestions in the Caribbean - The Cove at Atlantis and One and Only next door seem to rate highest (but still don't come close to other properties in the Caribbean).
To be honest with you its not really for me. More for my kid so I think the water park and resort atmosphere seal it for us.

Would anyone know the best site to get decent rates for the Atlantis properties?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:25 am

The MR vouchers are discounted sometimes -- basically it's 30k for a cert for the coral tower. You need to order the voucher 6 months before your stay, but nothing prevents you from having a reservation. Basically, you can call and make a reservation telling them you're using a voucher and then keep checking to see whether there are specials on the vouchers.

Usually, the best way to book an Atlantis hotel is through the Atlantis web site. Other sites may show a lower price, but check taxes very carefully. Atlantis usually gives you the all inclusive rate, while others can give you a rate that looks better but ends up being worse.

Depending on how long you're going, sometimes the best way to stay at Atlantis is to rent a week from an owner at Harborside, which is the timeshare at Atlantis. Guests there have regular access to all parts of Atlantis. Guests at the Comfort Suites across the street also have access, and you can sometimes get those rooms for 25k per night. But with Choice you can only book 60 days in advance.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
The MR vouchers are discounted sometimes -- basically it's 30k for a cert for the coral tower. You need to order the voucher 6 months before your stay, but nothing prevents you from having a reservation. Basically, you can call and make a reservation telling them you're using a voucher and then keep checking to see whether there are specials on the vouchers.

Usually, the best way to book an Atlantis hotel is through the Atlantis web site. Other sites may show a lower price, but check taxes very carefully. Atlantis usually gives you the all inclusive rate, while others can give you a rate that looks better but ends up being worse.

Depending on how long you're going, sometimes the best way to stay at Atlantis is to rent a week from an owner at Harborside, which is the timeshare at Atlantis. Guests there have regular access to all parts of Atlantis. Guests at the Comfort Suites across the street also have access, and you can sometimes get those rooms for 25k per night. But with Choice you can only book 60 days in advance.
Handy.... Thanks. My stay is only for 3 nights though.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:53 pm

Handy.... Thanks. My stay is only for 3 nights though.
One other option is to stay at the Nassau Starwood the first night -- you can usually get a cash plus points rate of 4000 points plus $60. Go over to Atlantis early the next morning and do pre-check in -- even if your room isn't available you still get access to everything. Then you only need to pay for two nights at Atlantis, plus the cab, and still get 3 full days of access to the Atlantis stuff.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One other option is to stay at the Nassau Starwood the first night -- you can usually get a cash plus points rate of 4000 points plus $60. Go over to Atlantis early the next morning and do pre-check in -- even if your room isn't available you still get access to everything. Then you only need to pay for two nights at Atlantis, plus the cab, and still get 3 full days of access to the Atlantis stuff.
I get in at 10am the first day so would ideally want to access the facility on day one. The rates now are $2100 for 3 nights. Do you think this would come down closer or better to book now?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Can you book that as a refundable rate and then re-book if it comes down lower?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:53 pm

I get in at 10am the first day so would ideally want to access the facility on day one. The rates now are $2100 for 3 nights. Do you think this would come down closer or better to book now?
That's pretty high. Did you give any thought to Comfort Suites? It's not luxury, but you get breakfast and full Atlantis access.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's pretty high. Did you give any thought to Comfort Suites? It's not luxury, but you get breakfast and full Atlantis access.
Just had a look. Its an option thanks!

Which one of the Atlantis resorts would you say is the best?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.