Search

Wifey's BIG 30 surprise - please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles
Wifey's BIG 30 surprise - please help

Hi all,

My wife is turning 30 on July 5th and I want to take her on a surprise weekend getaway for the weekend of July 4th on a 3 nt/4 dy trip to Puerto Rico because thats where she has been wanting to go for a few years now. I want to leave from Boston on July 1st morning/afternoon and return back on on Tuesday 5th July.

Both of us are FF memebers of the following airlines and these are our balances with them

Me
-----

Skymiles: 80000
AAdvantage: 75000
Continental Onepass: 25000

Wife
-----

Skymiles: 30000
Continental Onepass: 25000

Both of us just started our jobs so we can't splurge on $500 per person tickets from Boston-San Juan and so I was looking to use the miles on one of these airlines to cover that cost. However all these airlines quoted me something like 50000-60000 points per person for the flights alone . That sounds extremely excessive to me and I dont know if it is a valuable use of miles. Based on this, I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1.Is the high mile requirement because of the 4th of July weekend ?
2. Or is it because I am looking for miles 3 months ahead? Do you think it will get lower in the coming weeks/months?

I really want to make this trip happen for my wife because she is currently stressed out at work and this will be a nice BIG 30 surprise for her. I , however, dont know if it will be a wise choice to choice about 100,000 miles on a flight which we dont really have.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which airlines I would be able to get a lower mileage ticket on or can help me plan my air travel ? Would appreciate all the help I can get!!

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
The trips costs more in miles because it is a peak season and probably you are "paying" for an anytime type FF ticket. Most FF seats are released 330 days out and the lowest milage requrements get booked around then. I doubt any seats for less miles will open up. Many times there are extra fees , depending on the airline, for booking last minute FF tickets. It's a bit late to be lloking for cheap anything for July.

If you have the miles and won't/can't spend the money for a paid tickets and really want to go, then using the miles is expensive but fine. If you can buy the ticket then I would pay money and not use miles.

Every person has to decide for themself what is a good use of miles.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Re: Wifey's BIG 30 surprise - please help

Thanks for the reply, MoreMilesPlease. I am quite new to the miles game and so it helps to get advice/suggestions from more senior flyertalk members like yourself.

I guess I will make the decision very soon whether to go ahead and do the bookings or plan something else. I was actually accumulating all these miles for a Hawaii trip that I wanted to do next year. Hopefully ,if I plan correctly and in advance, I will be able to do both !!!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
boylstonboy, this is peak season

and award tickets will be higer overall due to 4th of July Holiday. The odds of lower award ticket are very slim to none during Holiday weekends.

You mentioned that you were tyring to use miles for a Hawaii vacation on 2012, however you should concentrate your mileage accumulation on ONE airline, not 3.

50k or 60k miles are the norm for holiday award travel, however myself I wouldn't spend that many miles unless I were traveling Business/First Class. Average award travel with AA from ORD to SJU is 35k miles for coach fare, or 60k miles for business/first class.

Only you can answer wether you should use your miles. I still see that you will have problems because you do not have 100k-120k miles needed under ONE person on ONE airline. Max is 110 with Delta, and that is combined bewteen you and your wife, chances are that you will have to transfer the miles and that will cost you also.

My only suggestion to you is to concentrate your mileage accumulation with one airline, maybe do a credit card bonus sign up, and plan better for next time.

Last edited by arollins; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm Reason: .
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I went to www.expedia.com and looked at vacation packages. They have one trip left to Puerto Rico on ypour exact dates with flights and hotel for a total price of $1071. This means the hotel is free. Don't knbow anything about the hotel or area but of you want to go this is a deal!

www.vacationstogo.com have some good deals over the same time. Different hotels so might be worth a look!

same with travelocity.

this might be a time to look for a package deal.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
July is the warmest, nicest time of the year in Boston (humidity excepted). Why would you want to go somewhere even hotter? I would save the Puerto Rico trip for when wifey turns 30 and a half. How about New Years Eve in SJU?

For the 30th b-day, stay close to home. Take advantage of the short northern summer. You could drive (or fly) to YUL or YQB (or both). They are spectacular destinations. How about Halifax? There are multiple daily direct flights from BOS to YHZ. The city has a rich history, much like Boston. If you are adventurous, head from YHZ to Cape Breton Island and drive the Cabot Trail, one of the most spectacular road trips in the world. If you or wifey have any Irish or Scottish heritage, you are in for a treat.

Okay. All of my suggestions are in Canada. But you've probably already visited NYC, WAS and other places close to BOS.
--
13F

PS Canadian fireworks are on July 1st, not the 4th.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:05 am

Total budget?

From what you provided, it may be necessary to take separate airlines since the mileage balances are so low. Assuming that you avoid that, what do you hope to spend on accommodations and airfare total? We're not travel agents but with this number we'll be able to provide advice that would meet your budget concerns while hopefully making the trip a memorable one.

Hotel choice is more important (to me, anyway) than the flight and there are some decent ones there but I can't recommend anything unless I know a price range AND your preferred activities. Sure, you can drive most anywhere but there might not be a reason to do that if you centrally locate yourself which gives you more time to take in the sights. The San Juan/Condado area is probably the main attraction for first-timers. The eastern side of the island also has plenty to do but you may be rushed due to your short stay.

Good Luck,

Last edited by Oreto; Apr 27, 2011 at 7:07 am Reason: Geographical clarification
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Re: Wifey's BIG 30 surprise - please help

Before I reply to each of you, let me say that you guys have been great in giving your valuable suggestions, options and more things to do than I could have ever thought of. I am so glad that I posted my questions on flyertalk. Thank you so much !!!

@arollins : You are right about the mileage requirements on each of these airlines for the BOS-SJU connection. We dont travel as much and all the miles that we have collected has been through the credit card offers and other mileage earning opportunities posted here on flyertalk. Signing up for more cards at this point doesnt look viable as I have already signed up for 2 cards this year. I was planning to use these mile because i have read here that these airlines keep on devlauing their miles and the longer you wait, the more the devaluation.

@MoreMilesPlease : Thank you for your PM last night. I was checking expedia after reading your suggestion and it looks like most of the hotels in the list are away from the Old San Juan area which is where I want to stay (if we go). but there were still a couple of decent hotels in the Old San Juan area that may work out. Since I was planning to use miles when I started to think about going to PR, I had kept my budget to $1000 for hotel stay and activities included. I will have to replan and assess If we can spend more than that on this trip

@Seat13F_AC_CRJ: You know what? That was exactly my thinking....why should I go down south when there is summer in New England. The only reason why I wanted to get out of here is because we have already done most of the big cities and towns in Northeast US. So, I did not not want my wife to feel (not that she would) that we were doing something similar. However, Montreal/Quebec City seems appealing to me and I am actually thinking of it as a good option considering the PR trip not working out for us with our small budget :|. The only thing is that we are not US citizens (yet) and we will have to obtain Canadian visas first. But I am hoping that shouldn't be much of a hassle. I will PM you if I decide on making a trip to the other side.

@Oreto : As I stated above, my initial budget, assuming I was using miles for air tickets, was somewhere around $1000 for hotel stay and activities. I am assuming I will have to double the budget to $2000 If I buy air tickets (because spending so many miles may not make sense). I planned to stay in Old San Juan so that I would be centrally located to everything and can walk to the attractions/restaurants/etc. Since I was planning the trip for only 3 nts/ 4 days, I did not want to rusgh and see everything. Seea few things, have good food, relax and go back refreshed. That was the thought.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by boylstonboy
@Seat13F_AC_CRJ: You know what? That was exactly my thinking....why should I go down south when there is summer in New England. The only reason why I wanted to get out of here is because we have already done most of the big cities and towns in Northeast US. So, I did not not want my wife to feel (not that she would) that we were doing something similar. However, Montreal/Quebec City seems appealing to me and I am actually thinking of it as a good option considering the PR trip not working out for us with our small budget :|. The only thing is that we are not US citizens (yet) and we will have to obtain Canadian visas first. But I am hoping that shouldn't be much of a hassle. I will PM you if I decide on making a trip to the other side.
No problem. I am full of advice.

If you are a US greeen card holder, you probably don't need a visa to visit Canada. More info here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visa-exempt.asp
--
13F
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by boylstonboy

@Oreto : As I stated above, my initial budget, assuming I was using miles for air tickets, was somewhere around $1000 for hotel stay and activities. I am assuming I will have to double the budget to $2000 If I buy air tickets (because spending so many miles may not make sense). I planned to stay in Old San Juan so that I would be centrally located to everything and can walk to the attractions/restaurants/etc. Since I was planning the trip for only 3 nts/ 4 days, I did not want to rusgh and see everything. Seea few things, have good food, relax and go back refreshed. That was the thought.
If the potential devaluation of airmiles concerns you, you should definitely use them now and make other plans to accumulate miles for your Hawaii trip. The cost/mile calculation is something that you need to determine and not base it on anyone else's.

For your situation, I'd say that securing transportation should be your first concern as the longer that you wait, the more that it may cost you in miles as the award seats diminish. Also, if taking separate airlines is out, you can always buy 1 ticket and use miles for the other if you are short the full miles or the award seats zero out.

It sounds like you have some choices for hotels. You may want to price them out and see where you stand. Better bidding may be of use if you can use Priceline at all. Of course, that would mean that there would be no hotel guarantees but El San Juan is a decent property and money saved could be applied to a rental car. Additionally, your Old San Juan hotel may be on the Priceline list.

If it were me, I'd budget my room at $150 all-in or less/night and take the remaining $400+ and make an itinerary based on that. A cheaper room would be better as $400 can be spent quickly. Most of my suggestions tend to be on the pricier side but I suppose that tripadvisor would have other activities that are gentler on the wallet.

$1000 for this trip is possible. A day at the beach or renting a car to go to El Yunque can be frugal activities as well as stress-reducing ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.