Transferring miles confusion

Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Transferring miles confusion

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I've been reading this site as well as a FB group for Capital One Venture X for months now and thought I understood how to transfer miles to book a flight, but I actually tried it this morning and it turns out I know very little because the process did not go smoothly and I eventually gave up. I'm hoping you will offer me some guidance because I clearly am not understanding and I don't want to mess up. I'm looking at flying to IAD to London and Amsterdam to IAD in December.

I got on Google Flights and found the flights I wanted with United. I already have an account with United which would cover about 500$ of the flights. I went to the United site to book and was able to choose my seats, although for some reason it showed all the business/premium seats as unavailable, so I chose basic economy plus or something like that, the ones with no one in front of you.

Next I went to to the Cap1 portal and was going to transfer my points, but wasn't sure I was doing it correctly and also wasn't sure how many points I should transfer. When I was on the United site, I couldn't figure out how to choose to pay with all miles, only miles and cash, but maybe that's because I hadn't yet transferred the Cap1 points? At this point, my confidence really dipped, so I tried to book directly on the Cap 1 portal. I would have been able to do that, but couldn't even choose specific economy seats that way. It did show that my 300$ credit would be used, and I guess I could use my points for the rest, but I thought I'd read that it's better to transfer the points to United and book that way. Plus, I normally book directly from the airline in case there's a problem later (particularly since these flights are so far out).

Can someone walk me through the best way to do this step by step or direct me to a thread that breaks it down? I know I've read about it here, on FB and on some of the travel/points websites, but what I remember didn't quite line up with what I've read. I'd also like to understand why I couldn't even see how much premium seats on United cost and why they're not available. I'll be flying overnight, so I might want to spend the extra points for the flight over. Is there a way to know how many United points I'll need for the whole trip and should I use only Cap1 points or also the United points I already have? What else am I not thinking of? I figure I can use the 300$ credit to book lodging.

I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer. I get the feeling this is common sense to most of you, but for some reason I'm just not getting it. Thank you!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:13 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The confusion is that you cannot transfer Capital One Miles to United Airlines. You can only transfer to the specific airline programs listed here:

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...avel-partners/

There are three ways that you can use Capital One Miles to pay for a trip on United Airlines:

1) You can Transfer to another another program which has a partnership with United Airlines. This could be any Star Alliance airline, for example Air Canada Aeroplan. If you do this you would book the flight through the Aeroplan site, not on United.com. Warning: Do NOT Transfer points to Air Canada until you have verified that they have award space available on United on the specific flights and dates that you need.

2) You can book a United flight through the Capital One travel portal, and pay with Capital One Miles rather than money.

3) You can buy a ticket on United.com, pay with your Capital One credit card, and later you can use Capital One Miles to offset the charge on your Capital One account.

Last edited by mia; Mar 31, 2024 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation mia. I found another flight on Air France. It doesn't fit my plans quite as well, but I can make it work. I have a Flying Blue account. If the transfer is 1:1, does that mean a flight that costs 1500$ is 150000 points? I don't even have that many points.

The other thing I think I can do in order to still fly with United (which suits my schedule better than Air France) is transfer points to my TAP account, then transfer those to United. Is that right? Honestly, I might have enough points between United and TAP without even needing my Cap1 points right now. I'm not new to flying, but I am new to the points game and it is confusing!

Thank you!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:20 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by travelingkrs
.... I have a Flying Blue account. If the transfer is 1:1, does that mean a flight that costs 1500$ is 150000 points?
No, 1:1 means that each Capital One Mile can be converted to one Flying Blue Mile. The number of Flying Blue Miles required for your trip will be displayed on the Flying Blue website, and it will probably not be directly related to the price of a ticket.

The other thing I think I can do in order to still fly with United !
In my previous reply I mentioned three ways that you can use Capital One Miles to pay for a United ticket. You cannot transfer Miles from TAP to United. You may be able to use TAP miles to redeem for an award flight operated by United, but this will be done on the TAP website through the TAP program, and will not use any United miles.

Perhaps it will be easier to understand if you mention 1) How many Capital One Miles you have, and 2) the price, in Dollars, of the United ticket that you would like to purchase.

Last edited by mia; Mar 31, 2024 at 1:41 pm
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Ugh, I've spent too much time on this today, but I appreciate the help so much. I've found a flight to and from Paris on AirFrance that will cost 70,000 miles and 332.00$. I have just over 100,00 miles on Cap1.

The United flight I found this morning was 1100ish and I could use the points I had plus about 600$cash, but I could fly into London and out of Amsterdam, which would be easier for the trip I want to take.

It's not this difficult for everyone, is it? I feel like the more I try to understand all this, the more confused and twisted it seems. It almost makes me want to just give up.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:01 pm
mia

Originally Posted by travelingkrs
The United flight I found this morning was 1100ish and I could use the points I had plus about 600$cash
If you buy that ticket on United.com you can redeem your United Miles, and pay $600 with your Capital One card.
Later, you will be able to use 60,000 Capital One Miles to offset the $600 credit card transaction.
Which Capital One card do you have?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.